so Saturday I went to guitar center. Not many people were in there and I had the bass section to myself so I had some fun. I had the EQ flat on everything to get a taste of how it sounds.

Warwick $$ > Ampeg SVT Classic/810
Looked great, felt solid and comfortable. I liked the small body. I was very disappointed in the sound. For its price I expected to be blown away but I wasn't. I put it back after about 10 mins.

EBMM Sterling > Ampeg SVT Classic/810
It felt solid and comfortable like my Sterling. But compared to my Sterling there was not a huge difference. The action was a little high. It sounded and felt just about the same.

Modulus Flea Bass (5 String) > Ampeg SVT Classic/810
The funk unlimited, haha. First 5 string I've ever played which was pretty cool. It sounded like a Stingray, but not quite as nice. I didn't like the neck but it too was solid and comfortable. Action was a little high, it didn't have the Flea Bass bite I was hoping for.

Squier VM Jazz Bass > Ampeg SVT Classic/810
Perfect action. Sounded liked a jazz. Neck felt nice and overall it felt very solid. I liked it soooo much much much much more than my VM P. I'd suggest it to anybody who wants a great bass on a budget.

Ampeg SVT Classic/810
Everything flat. I didn't have it very loud, bedroom practice volume. I truly did not enjoy the sound. I know tube heads sound good cranked up but for being THE OMG AMPEG that everybody raves about I was not impressed.

So by now I was a little bored with the Ampeg. So I moved over and plugged a Jaguar into a GK head I have never seen or heard about before. I took a picture for you guys

GK Goldline 500?
It sounded great. Classic GK sound. I had it at bedroom practice volume and everything flat. I was very impressed since everybody says how bad the Goldline is. It sounded VERY similar to my rig.

I looked on the wall. Nothing really jumped out at me, then I saw the Fender Jaguar in red.

Fender Jaguar Bass
Perfect action. I didn't like all the knobs and stuff, but it sounded like a jazz. The body was comfortable. The neck had a nice feel but I noticed a inlay was a little messed up. I liked this bass a lot.

After spending 2 hours at guitar center I decided I like GK more than Ampeg and Fender CIJ basses are ftw.
Last edited by Miss G at Aug 17, 2008,
you mean..... you didnt buy anything!!! wow lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by Miss G
Oh, I bought a pack of picks lol

damn you Miss G!!!! lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
you mean..... you didnt buy anything!!! wow lol

That must have taken some real restraint...

EDIT:the conversation obviously left me behind with this one.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Japanese Fenders are great - they're my favourites below the Am Dlx.

Corvettes sound better with single coils, IMO.
Quote by Miss G
Oh, I bought a pack of picks lol

Two hours trying out mostly $1300+ basses and amps, and buying a bag of pics. That's exactly how I like to use GC myself! Well done

Quote by ThatGuy177
I love getting the bass section at GC to my self.

Yes, I hate it when there's a person there who listens to what you play and then tries to play something fancier in the exact same style, again and again and again.

Damn you guitar shop virtuoso!
Quote by smb

Corvettes sound better with single coils, IMO.

This I have also noticed. Warwicks have that awesome growl, and humbuckers kinda flatten that out... there are basically two reasons to play a Warwick, the feel of the neck, and the Warwick tone. Putting a 'bucker on it removes one of those reasons. You're only really getting half the Warwick experience with a $$ Corvette, in my opinion.

And I'm not anti-humbucker in any way.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Yeah I like humbuckers, but if you want the signature Warwick tone you're better off without them.
Quote by Miss G
Fender CIJ basses are ftw.

That's exactly how i feel. I don't think i will ever buy an MIA fender, there is no need to!

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
I wanted to try a standard Corvette but the $$ really turned me off Warwicks. Maybe next time.