Page 1 of 6
This band has been rightfully mentioned maybe ONCE in the recent few years in UG.

This thread will fix this.

Scald is a Doom Metal band from Russia that released one album, Will of The Gods is Great Power, in 1996, and disbanded after the tragic death of their amazing vocalist. Scald has what is rarely reached today, in that they have the genuine feeling of the true Viking people. I love the more "metal" feeling of Vikings we get so much today, but Scald have a historically true and passionate feeling about the stories they write.

But why continue to talk when I can have you listen to the music, eh?

http://rapidshare.com/files/138091440/06_Ragnaradi_Eve.m4a.html

Ragnaradi Eve is a beast of a song. Behold it in all its glory, then fall to your knees and shiver when the bells toll and the guitars ring and the vocalist shatters your concept of the human voice.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Apr 18, 2010,
Listening as we speak. I actually thought that they are a thrash band, judging from you connecting them to that abomination of a band in the other thread...

Drums sound deliciously low-fi.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Will of the Gods is a true lost doom metal classic. Simply stunning.
Agyl had such an amazing voice, his death was as much a loss to metal as that of Quorthon, Lynott or Jerry Fogle.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
I loved the bells in it. Really epic stuff.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by chylde_of_fire
Will of the Gods is a true lost doom metal classic. Simply stunning.
Agyl had such an amazing voice, his death was as much a loss to metal as that of Quorthon, Lynott or Jerry Fogle.

Yes!

Good to see one who appreciates WotGIGP as much as I do. Not a single note is filler. Each song is just wave after wave if stunning music.

Also, I would give twenty years of my life to sing half as good as Agyl. The day I heard he died, all of WotGIGP had me teary eyed. And rarely have I ever, ever, felt the same way I do about the lyrics in Ragnaradi Eve.

"Torch of Valhalla
Waves will kill your fire
Sea will kill the gods

In the darkness of storms
Torch is burning
Dead darkness
Covered the fire
Endless power
Sea till take
Twilight wait
The tribe of gods
In the darkness of storms"

Every line is so damn passionate and forces you to feel empathetic.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
I've heard of these guys before, and I didn't really give them the chance they deserved, I'll download this song and listen later, I have to go clean and such.

Also, linky for more songs.

http://www.myspace.com/scaldtribute
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
I swear, no BS, that I was gonna make a thread on these guys today.

Will of the Gods is Great Power is one of my favorite doom albums of all time, and Sepulchral Bonfire is one of the single best doom songs ever made, seriously.

And i've definitely mentioned them in the red thread.
Quote by VampireGoldfish
This band has been rightfully mentioned maybe ONCE in the recent few years in UG.

This thread will fix this.

Scald is a Doom Metal band from Russia that released one album, Will of The Gods is Great Power, in 1996, and disbanded after the tragic death of their amazing vocalist. Scald has what is rarely reached today, in that they have the genuine feeling of the true Viking people. I love the more "metal" feeling of Vikings we get so much today, but Scald have a historically true and passionate feeling about the stories they right.

But why continue to talk when I can have you listen to the music, eh?

http://rapidshare.com/files/138091440/06_Ragnaradi_Eve.m4a.html

Ragnaradi Eve is a beast of a song. Behold it in all its glory, then fall to your knees and shiver when the bells toll and the guitars ring and the vocalist shatters your concept of the human voice.

It says they also released an album/ demo called "North Winds"
http://heavy-metal-machine.blogspot.com/2008/04/scald-north-winds-demo-1994.html

seems like it basically has all the stuff that "Will of the Gods is a Great Power" has.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

All right I'm listening to the songs of the myspace, because the download didn't work for me (I don't have the program to listen to that format apparently), but the songs on the myspace ****ing slay, seriously the vocals are ****ing amazing. Three words to describe this; insanely f-ucking epic.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by bootyguard
It says they also released an album/ demo called "North Winds"
http://heavy-metal-machine.blogspot.com/2008/04/scald-north-winds-demo-1994.html

seems like it basically has all the stuff that "Will of the Gods is a Great Power" has.

Basicly yeah, there are two versions of Sepulchral Bonfire on it, the first one is the best of all three I think.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is brilliant
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

sounds good. dling.
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
it's such a shame these guys only released one album, I swear there is so much unreleased potential that was left behind.

Excellent band

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I know them already, actually.

Never really gave them much of a chance though. But they're pretty good.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
listening to ragnaradi eve now. They have a great sense of harmony and create catchy melodic epic riffs.

Their vocalist is great too.

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

Yeah let's not let this die yet, been listening to the four songs on the myspace for the past few days, great stuff. DISCUSS NOW!!! Also, has anyone heard Tumulus?
Quote by Senor Kristian
^Yeah I realized that as well, but great stuff nonetheless. Albeit, this is some of the most "Viking" music I've heard thus far.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Quote by The Virtuoso
Yeah let's not let this die yet, been listening to the four songs on the myspace for the past few days, great stuff. DISCUSS NOW!!! Also, has anyone heard Tumulus?

Tumulus is great folk, but Scald is just something else. Definitely worth checking out though.

Quote by The Virtuoso
^Yeah I realized that as well, but great stuff nonetheless. Albeit, this is some of the most "Viking" music I've heard thus far.

Indeed! Its captures the very soul instead of the myth when it comes to Vikings.

Also, any of you heard In The Open Sea by them yet? Agyl hits a note that just pierces your ears.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Last edited by VampireGoldfish at Aug 19, 2008,
VG, what is 'The Ocean Sea?' Can you link to it?

edit: Gotcha

You got me all excited, I was like NEW SCALD WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Call of the war,
Howling cry
Fiery god,
Dust to dust

Quote by yoozum
Very good stuff, though I'm not sure if Russians/Slavs were ever considered vikings.

The Vikings were instrumental in the creation of those ethnic groups.
Last edited by Mr. President at Aug 19, 2008,
Quote by Mr. President
VG, what is 'The Ocean Sea?' Can you link to it?

I meant "In The Open Sea" on Will of the Gods is Great Power. Didn't get enough sleep.

Just realized its on their MySpace too.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
Tumulus is great folk, but Scald is just something else. Definitely worth checking out though.

Indeed! Its captures the very soul instead of the myth when it comes to Vikings.

Also, any of you heard In The Open Sea by them yet? Agyl hits a note that just pierces your ears.

All right, I'll be sure to check them out later then.

Yeah I was just listening to, "In The Open Sea" when I read this. Great stuff, it really shows the viking soul as you put it VG, it's a shame they only had one album.
Quote by Senor Kristian
I can't believe I haven't posted in here yet. Will Of The Gods Is Great Power is such an amazing album. Fantastic riffs, fantastic vocals, fantastic atmosphere, fantastic imagery.

A damn shame about the vocalist, though. It truly is a cruel world we live in.
WOTG is indeed great stuff. Sounds something like a fusion of 75% Bathory/25% Candlemass or something. I only wish the production was a tad better, though maybe the slightly raw production gives it that 'ancient' feeling..
Matthew 5:5 - "Blessed are the meek: for they shall Beherit the earth."
heh it's so obvious they were struggling with their English when they wrote the lyrics...

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Quote by yoozum
Very good stuff, though I'm not sure if Russians/Slavs were ever considered vikings.

not to the best of my knowledge, although there was a lot of interaction between the two, that wasn't just limited to fights lol. And Varyags, or Varangians, could be considered a linking people I suppose.

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Bumped for Scald's awesomeness. I've been listening to Will of the Gods is Great Power a ton recently. This band deserves way more recognition than they get, definitely one of my favorite epic Doom bands.
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Bumped for Scald's awesomeness. I've been listening to Will of the Gods is Great Power a ton recently. This band deserves way more recognition than they get, definitely one of my favorite epic Doom bands.

Amen to that.
Does anyone know how Scald's singer died? Metal Archives says "Train accident-suicide" does that mean he committed suicide by jumping in front of a train? It's a real shame he died, one of the greatest singers I've ever heard, he really sounded like a better version of Messiah Marcolin and Bruce Dickinson combined, and he has so much passion in his voice.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by MetalMessiah665
Does anyone know how Scald's singer died? Metal Archives says "Train accident-suicide" does that mean he committed suicide by jumping in front of a train? It's a real shame he died, one of the greatest singers I've ever heard, he really sounded like a better version of Messiah Marcolin and Bruce Dickinson combined, and he has so much passion in his voice.

Don't mess w/ Messiah. But I'm Not sure how he died exactly..my ADD kicked in after I tried searching for about 2 minutes.
Sorry, maybe I should say slightly worse version of Messiah, mixed with better version of Dickinson?
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
eh there's little to none information on that, I've looked in a few places; but I'm sure it'll float up eventually; I remember the days when MA didn't even have that on the site

“Who are you then?.."
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Agyl is worlds better then Messiah and Bruce.

And I'm a big Messiah fan.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Yeah, Agyl and Messiah are really close for me.
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I still can't get over 5:32-5:50 in Night Sky...
Every time I hear that I think he's going to run out of breath, but he just doesn't
I'm listening to Will of Gods is Great Power now, and damn, that windchime (I think) part in Ragnardi Eve is so fucking epic!
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by dminishedthingy
I still can't get over 5:32-5:50 in Night Sky...
Every time I hear that I think he's going to run out of breath, but he just doesn't

Agyl was beyond oxygen.

Quote by MetalMessiah665
I'm listening to Will of Gods is Great Power now, and damn, that windchime (I think) part in Ragnardi Eve is so fucking epic!

Yes.

Honestly, every song is chock full of "moments." My favorite thing about Scald is that, while there is still a sense of build up, the entire song is a moment, rather then a big build up like so many bands seem to be.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
download link isn't working

anyone help?
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|