first off this is my first post *crowd cheers*

Ok lets start off with what i have...

Got a gibson faded sg
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Faded-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-102935921-i1149235.gc

and to accompany that i have a Marshall halfstack
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Marshall-MG100HDFX-MG412-Slant-Cab-Half-Stack-Package-482807-i1145908.gc

The guitar is stock. havent changed anything on it. i like the sound but im not in love with it, if that makes any sense? so the question is...what can/ should i do to get the sound im looking for, and that sound would be an Ac/Dc/metallica/puddle of mudd/ green day/blink-182/led zep sound (thats what i like to play and sound like so i guess anywhere from classic to modern rock with a hint of metal)

also should i pay the $50 for the tune up thing or w/e at guitarcenter?

im open to any and all suggestions, expect those that say buy a new guitar/amp...cuz im not.
Sell the amp first, and look into something like an Orange Rocker 30 +OD Pedal, JCM 800, Vintage Modern. Basically get an amp with a good classic overdrive but good enough for modern stuff like Greenday.
hmm..depends on how much you can pay.
ABSOLUTELY sell the MG and get a tube amp like Valve king...you play things that I do and I love my VK for it.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
You don't need that halfstack, sell it and buy a nice tube combo like a Peavey Valveking, the above mentioned Orange Rocker 30, Laney VC30 or Marshall JCM combo
ohai little sig.
Well besides getting a new amp or a new pedal board, have you thought about customizing your guitar? You like stuff ranging from classic rock, pop punk, and old school metal which is pretty similar to my musical taste. I play a LP Gibson Studio and I put a SD Invader in the bridge (You may know this pickup as the one in the lead guitarist from Avenged Sevenfold's custom guitar, and in the Tom Delonge signature strat) and it works wonders in terms of versatility, can get a good punk sound or raise the gain and you get a good metal lead tone with great sounding pinch harmonics.

I don't know what else to tell you, IMO this is the cheapest yet one of the more dramatic ways to change your sound or upgrade it beside getting an effects processor

EDIT: as for the "tuner" thing, what they do is- change your strings, make sure your guitar is intonated, take care of any buzzing if there is some, give it a good cleaning, and put it in a humidor for however long.
People forget that guitars aren't just "good to go" once they're bought, and a lot of my musician friends ride my ass for not getting maintenance done on my guitar more than twice a year but then again I think twice a year is more than enough.
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Aug 17, 2008,
ur probably not gonna find a sweet tone for modern using a marshall MG, but to get somethin close id say get a really nice OD pedal and keep the gain pretty low, that should make ur clean channel shimmer a lil more and maybe get a nice tube emulation and make ur distortion channel much bigger. some great ones are the MXR Zakk Wylde OD, anything from Maxon (though expensive as ****) or the marshall govner (or watever the hell its called) OD pedal. hope that helps
Quote by forsaknazrael
What are you even asking us? You're telling us you're okay with your tone, but you don't love it.
You want suggestions on gear, but say you won't sell anything? No pedal is going fix that amp. And that amp really isn't that good...

im asking if there are any pickups or pedals that can give me what im looking for. yes i said i wont sell anything cuz im not going to sell anything. but that doesnt mean i wont buy new things, i.e pickups/amp/pedals
I disagree with the idea that pickups won't change his sound. I think a pickup can really change it. Yeah an amp will change your sound for sure but I've been using the same amp from before I got new pickups and I and whoever had heard me play before the customization could definitely tell there was a difference in my sound. As another example my friend put EMG's in his Ibanez RG (can't remember the specific model) that he plays through his fender amp, and I knew right away something was different when I heard him play.

And either way, being conscious that hundreds of dollars don't come out of nowhere, I rather spend 140-150 bucks on new pickups but I have the kind of mentality where if I know I'm spending over half a grand on an amp, then I'm waiting till I can afford something the best of the best although I due agree ultimately a new amp will do wonders for your sound.
Quote by markers_magee
Peavey ValveKing 212 Combo Amp

would that be a good choice? sounded good on youtube

Yes, that would be an excellent choice
ohai little sig.
Quote by markers_magee

yes it would be a good amplifier.
get the combo amp ,its cheaper but if your gigging then i guess get the half stack.
BUT if your gigging with an MG then the crowd is just going to puke....just being honest
Quote by markers_magee

They're okay, but I don't think they're really voiced for metal.
Keep in mind that a camera's mic changes things, and so does Youtube's compression.

Quote by LightxGrenade
I disagree with the idea that pickups won't change his sound. I think a pickup can really change it. Yeah an amp will change your sound for sure but I've been using the same amp from before I got new pickups and I and whoever had heard me play before the customization could definitely tell there was a difference in my sound. As another example my friend put EMG's in his Ibanez RG (can't remember the specific model) that he plays through his fender amp, and I knew right away something was different when I heard him play.

And either way, being conscious that hundreds of dollars don't come out of nowhere, I rather spend 140-150 bucks on new pickups but I have the kind of mentality where if I know I'm spending over half a grand on an amp, then I'm waiting till I can afford something the best of the best although I due agree ultimately a new amp will do wonders for your sound.

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Pickups are for tweaking your tone - if you're buying pickups when you have a subpar amp that doesn't really capture your tone, you're making a poor invesment.
And I'd rather save up 150 bucks than use it on pickups, when they're only going to change my tone a bit. I'd rather spend it on something that's going to significantly improve my tone.
First off, you're never going to be completely in love with your own sound. Trust me, there has never been once where I felt something couldn't be better with my tone.

I'm curious as to how much you are willing to spend on new gear, if you have a lot to spend, it might be worth it to upgrade, if you don't, then hold onto your cash. The MG amps are not as bad as people try to make them seem, and if you're OK with your sound right now, you can just sit tight until you can make a significant upgrade.

If you can afford to go for a new amp, I'll just throw the Marshall DSL50 out there as a suggestion. Its a decent sounding amp, covers a lot of ground, doesn't do any single one of them particularly well, but definitely very solid overall. They go at pretty good prices used as well, and you can usually find them for $800 (+/-$50) or so.
Quote by forsaknazrael

I understand what you're saying, but I disagree. Pickups are for tweaking your tone - if you're buying pickups when you have a subpar amp that doesn't really capture your tone, you're making a poor invesment.
And I'd rather save up 150 bucks than use it on pickups, when they're only going to change my tone a bit. I'd rather spend it on something that's going to significantly improve my tone.

I do agree w/your point of view, amps will make a dramatic change. I guess in my particular instance pickups did a lot more to my guitar's tone than I expected.
thanks everyone for replying and being helpful!

i think what im going to do is look around at the amps at a couple local stores and play around and see if i can find one that is right for me. gonna first try out the Peavey ValveKing 212 Combo Amp, along with the orange rocker and the marshall jcm combo.

i think im also gonna look at some pickups to add but im still going to mainly look for a amp
Quote by tenaciousjp
^ you dont need a 2x12 100 watt tube valveking get the 1x12 50watt VK

yeah im not gonna buy the 2x12 i just want to play through it at the store :]