I play guitar and im getting a bass, and i have a few questions.

#1. If a 100w guitar amp has 100w before distortion, will a 100w bass amp be loud enough cut through a guitar amp w/ distortion.

#2. I play punk rock to hard rock and i was thinking about getting a 150 fender bassman ($450) and a Fender P bass ($450), i wanted mark hoppus bass but its $730 so i might just get the same pickups it has, but anyway i wanted other bass players opinions on my set up idea.

My budget is around $900 because im trying to get one as soon as i can.
1) u need around 3 times the guitarists wattage
2) nice bass and amp
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
1. no, but if your guitar player has a 100w amp cranked, smack the hell out of him/her.

2. Great idea with putting the quarter pounder in a MIM P-bass, and it's easy to find a used mexican p-bass so you can spend even more money on your amp , the hoppus bass is a waste of money, though the paint jobs are cool.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Aug 17, 2008,
#1. No, but if your guitarist turns down you may have a chance. For similar or the same volume, you'll need at least 250 watts.

#2 The P-bass is a good choice, but if your guitarist is going to turn up, get this amp, if you can get a hold of one:

http://www.wwbw.com/Ashdown-MAG_C115T_300_Bass_Combo_Amp-i132237.music?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Ashdown-_-Bass%20Amps_Bass%20Combo%20Amps_One%2015%20Inch%20Speaker-_-MAG%20C115T%20300%20Bass%20Combo%20Amp&mr:trackingCode=D559CDD4-F76B-DD11-98CA-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
yeah the hoppus bass is just a gimmick really. They just make a p bass but with a jazz bass's body, stuck his name on and jacked the price up. Just go for a standard fender and put some quarter pound pickups in it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Probably. Most solid-state amps don't sound good at their max volume; that's why people get tube amps, for the tone and the fact that they sound good (even better) at high volume...they're also quite a bit more expensive though.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Yeah, but a 1x15 cab will give you more of a booming bass sound; for punch, you'd want a 2x10 or 4x10 cab. It'll depend on your EQ as well though.
If you give a man a fire, he'll be warm for an hour.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.