I love jazz but lately I've become kind of bored with the 1 minute melody then for another 7 minutes they all improvise over the chord progression type structure. I wanted to know if any of you could recommend jazz that changes up more and is more structurally interesting. I don't mean the more avant garde or experimental jazz like John Zorn, I mean something with the sound of Davis or Coltrane or Montgomery, you know that classic jazz sound, but more interesting structurally. Any recommendations?
Return To Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington, Herbie Hancock, Horace Silver, Medeski, Martin & Wood, Wayne Shorter

The first two are different than classical sounding jazz, along with Medeski Martin and Wood, but you may find them interesting.
top axes:
Taylor GS8
Fender American Strat (w/DiMarzio pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
+1 for MMW. Mahavishnu, Mingus, and Hancock are all great as well.
try White Rabbit by George Benson, it has very interesting arrangements. Charles Mingus is good at breaking out of the standard structure as well, I especially like Blues And Roots.
Ahem.

Cecil Taylor. Also, Ornette Coleman. And The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady by Charles Mingus is a must have.

Try Dialogues by Jim Hall and The Freedom Suite and Way Out West by Sonny Rollins.