Hey I've been checking out the 1986 original Marshall JCM 800 series model 2203 and I was wondering does it kick ass like the kerry king counterpart? I'm looking for a nice tube amp that has a hardcore thrashy metal sound. (ie megadeth metallica sound) and this one looks pretty damn good. yes? No? if not why?
For live use only. I had a 100 watt version, had to pull 2 tubes to make it 50 watt and couldn't crank it to more than 2 because the house would start shaking. And as you know, those amps need to be cranked, especially that model since you can't control distortion elseway.
Quote by AdamDK

It kicks more ass!

What exactly do you mean? what kicks more ass lol.

And to the other guy, are you saying that its distortion isn't good unless it's cranked?
Quote by AceDauntless
What exactly do you mean? what kicks more ass lol.

And to the other guy, are you saying that its distortion isn't good unless it's cranked?

Basically the tone is a lot better, as in the KK sig JCM 800 some components have been changed, so it doesn't replicate the original JCM 800. Mind, the beast mode rules.
Quote by AdamDK
Basically the tone is a lot better, as in the KK sig JCM 800 some components have been changed, so it doesn't replicate the original JCM 800. Mind, the beast mode rules.

Yeah that beast mode is freagin sick, so would you reccomend the jcm or should I save up for the kk?
Quote by AceDauntless
Yeah that beast mode is freagin sick, so would you reccomend the jcm or should I save up for the kk?

Mmmm.. On a personal preference, I'd say JCM, just because the tone is godly. But see what other people think too.
Quote by AdamDK
Mmmm.. On a personal preference, I'd say JCM, just because the tone is godly. But see what other people think too.

Yeah, how would you rate the overdrive/distortion?
Quote by AdamDK
On what? JCM, KK or both?

Both, I'm trying to see which one is better for thrash metal.

Oh and thanks for the help, i really appreciate it.
Well, from my experience with JCM's, they're good for thrash. I've never tried a 2203, and that was the first JCM and didn't have as much gain as others. But with an OD it would manage. The tone is great yoo, fantastic true British voicing. The KK, well, without the beast mode, it's not too good for thrash. Too dry and tasteless IMO.
Quote by AceDauntless
Yeah, how would you rate the overdrive/distortion?

The overdrive is very big and full sounding, but I would recommend a overdrive pedal in front of the amp as well.
Quote by AdamDK
Well, from my experience with JCM's, they're good for thrash. I've never tried a 2203, and that was the first JCM and didn't have as much gain as others. But with an OD it would manage. The tone is great yoo, fantastic true British voicing. The KK, well, without the beast mode, it's not too good for thrash. Too dry and tasteless IMO.

Really? So the standard jcm is better for thrash? Like without any pedals?
Quote by AdamDK
The latter models, in my opinion, yes. Not the 2203 without an OD though.

Wait, the OD isn't built in?
Quote by AceDauntless
Wait, the OD isn't built in?

2203 is single channel. To get a lot of gain from it, you need to boost it with an OD pedal.
Quote by AdamDK
2203 is single channel. To get a lot of gain from it, you need to boost it with an OD pedal.

Ah ****..... Is there a jcm that has built in distortion?
its has built in OD, its just a one channel meaning theres a volume gain T,M,B and prescence knob, low gain and high gain input.

You can get Amazing distortion.
Or clean, but you cant switch channels w.o turning the knobs.

Theres a 2 channel jcm800 and if you want more gain get the jcm 900
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Quote by Business
For live use only. I had a 100 watt version, had to pull 2 tubes to make it 50 watt and couldn't crank it to more than 2 because the house would start shaking. And as you know, those amps need to be cranked, especially that model since you can't control distortion elseway.

The 2203 has a master volume so you can boost preamp volume and get a fair bit of gain at lower volumes.

The 2203 actually already has a lot of gain, I don't really see why people think you need to boost it with an OD. It gets really f'n heavy by itself.
the 2203 needs a sd-1 to get awesome gain, you don't want one with the built in "gain" knob. if you get the 900 or a new 800 you will be saddened by the loss of tone.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
the 2203 needs a sd-1 to get awesome gain, you don't want one with the built in "gain" knob. if you get the 900 or a new 800 you will be saddened by the loss of tone.

All 2203s have a gain knob...
Well a 1986 2203 means vertical input, which isn't as good as horisontal from what I hear. They also have the Dagnall transformers and not the Drake. But if you can afford it, yeah get it. If you want the best mode you can just get an MXR 10 band EQ, which is what Kerry uses for that sound anyway.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well a 1986 2203 means vertical input, which isn't as good as horisontal from what I hear. They also have the Dagnall transformers and not the Drake. But if you can afford it, yeah get it. If you want the best mode you can just get an MXR 10 band EQ, which is what Kerry uses for that sound anyway.

Other way around. Late 2203s are horizontal input I believe.
Quote by al112987
All 2203s have a gain knob...

k buddy i own a 2203 and its a preamp knob
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by acdc51502112
k buddy i own a 2203 and its a preamp knob

Outside of labelling would you like to explain to me how that is different from a gain knob?
JCM800s are sick. if you want a clean tone, use another amp for cleans and A/B box them.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
For the ultimate thrash sound there are two options: the original JCM800 with a boost from MXR 10 band EQ (just an example, and yes you need to boost!), OR the KK signature version. The KK has different tubes (KT88) and a noise gate which is pretty sweet. Beast function is amazing and still you can get back to classic JCM800 tone. There is a good demo of it on youtube.
Quote by laurens666
For the ultimate thrash sound there are two options: the original JCM800 with a boost from MXR 10 band EQ (just an example, and yes you need to boost!), OR the KK signature version. The KK has different tubes (KT88) and a noise gate which is pretty sweet. Beast function is amazing and still you can get back to classic JCM800 tone. There is a good demo of it on youtube.

The KK doesn't sound like the classic JCM 800. Even the use of different valves makes a difference in that sound.
Quote by AdamDK
The KK doesn't sound like the classic JCM 800. Even the use of different valves makes a difference in that sound.

Compared without the beast function engaged and the same tubes of course.