Page 1 of 2
I play blues and a little rock...........Which should I get? A vox Ac30 or a Fender Deluxe reverb....i have absolutly no problem with buying an od pedal...What im saying is that i want to know which has better tone just which amp is better which is going to have the best over all value and tone???
lol im so sick of trying to choose between these 2
i like my ac30 with an od pedal
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
At that point, it kind of comes down to this

Do you want to sound more british or do you want to sound more american?
I want the most tonal opertunity possible i want the amp that holds me back the least i want the amp that sounds the best whenever you start on a clean slate and begin to build your tone....I dont want the one that does blank erally really well but does blank just good i want versatility and i want overall greatness
which one fits that catogory?
Highwaytohell is right, they're both great amps with amazing cleans, but it all comes down to which sound you prefer. I would choose the fender simply because i love those fender cleans, and when you put it overdrive in front of a cranked fender, it just sounds amazing.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
The Deluxe Reverb really is good. If you put an OD in front of it when it's cranked you'll get sweet blues/rock sound. Plus the really cool part of it is that it's only 22 watts so you can turn it up without blowing your house down. It's not really a "loud" 22 watts either. It's more on the soft side, but it'll be fine to gig and practice with. If you have an OD I'd say get the DR definitely. You probably wouldnt need an overdrive with the AC30 because it has plenty of gain for what you'll be playing but the cleans aren't as good (IMO) as the Fender. So yea. Fender. Do it. You will not be disappointed.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Brian8878682
I want the most tonal opertunity possible i want the amp that holds me back the least i want the amp that sounds the best whenever you start on a clean slate and begin to build your tone....I dont want the one that does blank erally really well but does blank just good i want versatility and i want overall greatness
which one fits that catogory?

So what you're trying to say is, you have no idea what you want, so you're going to ask for the "best" amp.
Go and play more amps before you buy one. It doesn't sound like you're ready to make this decision. I know new gear is cool, but it would be really dissapointing to get an expensive piece of gear only to find out that it's totally wrong for you.
Quote by Roc8995
So what you're trying to say is, you have no idea what you want, so you're going to ask for the "best" amp.
Go and play more amps before you buy one. It doesn't sound like you're ready to make this decision. I know new gear is cool, but it would be really dissapointing to get an expensive piece of gear only to find out that it's totally wrong for you.

+1

usually these types of threads don't work out so well. There both so good it comes down to you not us. If given the choice I would choose Fender but I'm a Fender guy and like american voiced amps. Obviously the Vox is more British voiced.

can you play these two amps somewhere?

Just get the Deluxe Reverb so I can sleep at night.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

usually these types of threads don't work out so well. There both so good it comes down to you not us. If given the choice I would choose Fender but I'm a Fender guy and like american voiced amps. Obviously the Vox is more British voiced.

can you play these two amps somewhere?

ok so yea I completly understand you and i am ready to make this decision because i know i want one of these amps because of the style of music i play and the amount of money i have and i know now that both these amps are of equal quality but now what it comes down to is me going to the music store and playing both and seeing which tone i like the best.....
So... What kind of music do you play, British or American voiced stuff? Hwy is right, so is Roc and 311. You almost couldn't pick two more vastly different sounding amplifiers. (At the price range).
Get both, that's what I did.

They are very different amps. The AC30 gives you that classic old school British crunch. The cleans are great, but always just a tad dirty. There's always something harmonic going on with the amp. It has a great master volume control for solid tone at low volumes, as well an an FX loop for all your pedals.

The DRRI is a clean machine. As someone mentioned, it's not a "loud" 22W. In fact, the AC30 set to it's 22W mode is much louder than the Fender. But the Fender has those cleans, and also tube driven reverb and tremolo, which are much nicer than the same effects built into the Vox. No FX loop, though.

But I offer this up just as some info. Roc's right, you should really get out there and test drive some amps on your own.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by gregs1020
So... What kind of music do you play, British or American voiced stuff? Hwy is right, so is Roc and 311. You almost couldn't pick two more vastly different sounding amplifiers. (At the price range).

Idk Just regular blues stuff for the rock more british sounding stuff but i dont think that matters because im not going to get a fender just because i like hendrix because i dont want to sound like hendrix i want to sound like myself and i want to sound they way i hear things in my head
Quote by Brian8878682
Idk Just regular blues stuff for the rock more british sounding stuff but i dont think that matters because im not going to get a fender just because i like hendrix because i dont want to sound like hendrix i want to sound like myself and i want to sound they way i hear things in my head

huh?

then what is the point of your thread?

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
huh?

then what is the point of your thread?

iw dont mean it like im not getting a fender at all i mean it like my reasoning for getting an amp is going to be based on the way other people sound im not going to shape MY sound off of others because then its not really mine.....im not going to buy a fender just because if i do i have a better chance of sounding like jimi hendrix
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, if you were to pick a couple of artists, who would you want to sound similar to?

ill be playing all kinds blues so any blues artist but probly not so much delta blues.....ill be playing some hendrix and some like some softer rock songs for a band
man my musical intrest range from miles davis and tom waits to the dillinger escape plan lol im not exactly sure what ill be playing and who ill be playing in about 3 years down the road but i do know right now i love playing the blues....and i little rock when im not in a bluesy mood.....I just started learning guitar 3 months ago..
i respect your reasoning to get a nice amp right away but i can't believe i'm saying this but you may want to find something more reasonable. Both of these amps are loud as all get out. You said you have only been playing for 3 months. Are you gigging or just bedroom? Sorry if you already said.

<flameprotection>

so you can go play some amps?

Well Hendrix didn't use Fender amps to my knowledge. Maybe he did at one point, but I am unaware of any such point. Anyway - You may be better off setting the bar a little lower than these amps and to a more versatile amp until you know what "your" sound is? Just trying to help you not make an expensive mistake.
Just get the Deluxe Reverb!!!! You won't be disappointed. I promise. If you are you can send the amp to me :].

But really, it has fantastic cleans and it takes pedals extremely well. You won't need a louder amp unless you have a particularly heavy handed drummer and it's well suited for your genre needs.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Brian8878682
iw dont mean it like im not getting a fender at all i mean it like my reasoning for getting an amp is going to be based on the way other people sound im not going to shape MY sound off of others because then its not really mine.....im not going to buy a fender just because if i do i have a better chance of sounding like jimi hendrix

Do you mean Fender guitars? Jimi didn't really use Fender amps - he's known for using Marshalls, and then Sound City amps for cleans. He MAY have used a Bassman on a track or two...
BTW, there's nothing wrong with emulating your favorite tones. That's how most artists start off...There's no need to negatively respond to my question like that. Besides, most popular amps today ARE based off someone else's sound.
Furthermore, what makes you think that a Vox AC30 is any less of a "signature amp" than a Fender? The Vox was used by the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Queen, Oasis, etc, etc...

Quote by Brian8878682
ill be playing all kinds blues so any blues artist but probly not so much delta blues.....ill be playing some hendrix and some like some softer rock songs for a band
man my musical intrest range from miles davis and tom waits to the dillinger escape plan lol im not exactly sure what ill be playing and who ill be playing in about 3 years down the road but i do know right now i love playing the blues....and i little rock when im not in a bluesy mood.....I just started learning guitar 3 months ago..

3 months? Shouldn't you slow down on gear? Both of those are REALLY expensive amps for someone who just started.
Actually I've read that Jimi used a few Twin Reverbs for some stuff on Are You Experienced.

And yeah, he did use a Bassman sometimes. Most noteably on Voodoo Child (both of them).
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I hate to tell people to hold off on purchasing nice gear, but you may want to figure out where you want to go with your sound before you spend that much money on an amp. If I would've bought an amp 3 months into my guitar playing, it would be the absolute wrong amp for me right now. You've zero'd in on some nice ones, though. Just give it a bit of time and develop a better idea of what you want to sound like, first.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i respect your reasoning to get a nice amp right away but i can't believe i'm saying this but you may want to find something more reasonable. Both of these amps are loud as all get out. You said you have only been playing for 3 months. Are you gigging or just bedroom? Sorry if you already said.

<flameprotection>

yea actually im a couple months from playing in a bar type area......and i already have a spider 3 15 watt **** amp so now im gettin g my good one that i can stick with for awhile.....plus with the vox i can cut down the wattage a bit with the back controls
well, i certainly wouldn't want to hold anyone back from an AC30. If that's what you want then do it up. TNfootballfan makes a good point to.

knowing that you will be playing in bars helps.

you may want to throw a Peavey Classic 30 on your list and some others and then go play them with your guitar to see what YOU think.

good luck
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

<flameprotection>

yea i have a huge guitar center near me however just to set everyone straight i dont buy from there lol i just go ther to try stuff out because there are so many people playing no one can hear me but myself when i try and amp lol i dont want people to hear me because im a noob and i still suck lol
Quote by Brian8878682
yea i have a huge guitar center near me however just to set everyone straight i dont buy from there lol i just go ther to try stuff out because there are so many people playing no one can hear me but myself when i try and amp lol i dont want people to hear me because im a noob and i still suck lol

You don't suck, your just starting out. Don't worry about what salespeople at GC think. Most of the people there are probably noobs too.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Get a Crate V33 to hold you over. Good tone for another year before you really need a top quality amp.

That's not a bad idea, plus with the sale price what it is, you should be able to sell it for close to what you paid later.
great idea...at the price it is right now i would buy one on-line sight unseen. Because most are on back order it may be that way anyway.

great 'hold over' idea!

ps - got to GC really early in the morning if you can like when they open and explain to mngr on duty what you want to do ....much easier than at night when you have to compete with everybody.

good luck
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I hate to tell people to hold off on purchasing nice gear, but you may want to figure out where you want to go with your sound before you spend that much money on an amp. If I would've bought an amp 3 months into my guitar playing, it would be the absolute wrong amp for me right now. You've zero'd in on some nice ones, though. Just give it a bit of time and develop a better idea of what you want to sound like, first.

I agree with this statement.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62

im not sure why i should hold off on buying.......i know ive only been playing for 3 months but ive been researching for 5. I now Know what amps are quality so its not really going to be all that possible for me to choose a poor quality ****ty amp without me knowing that its a poor quality ****ty amp. So now the next thing is Personally prefrence. Maybe i dont know what my "sound" is yet but who actually knows what there sound is before they buy their amp? sure maybe some....so now without my buying my amp my joices are keep playing my **** line 6 and not find my sound or go buy a "quality" that has a "tone" that i preffer then use this amp with the "tone" i prefer to shape my sounds and and find MY "sound" u dont have to be playing the guitar for more than a second to know what sounds good to your ear and to pick 1 amp out of 100 that you can say IMO this amp sounds the best and then use it to make and mold your sound you cant mold YOUR golden sound on a peice of shi.t.
Im not going to pick an amp with a tone that i dont care for to find My sound because i dont prefer the tone of the amp so how can i mold a sound from it that i think is the best? No need to wait IMO while i learn on 1 of these 2 amps i will get to know it well and its many sounds and boundries and when the time comes that i can make the amp scream i will be more than ready to begin searching in that amp to find MY "sound"
^When I had been playing for 3 months, I played completely different music than I play now. I think playing guitar can send your musical tastes down unexpected roads. When I started, if you had given me an infinite budget, I probably would've bought a Marshall amp, because that amp suited what I listened to and played at the time. But now, I'd be exceptionally unhappy with that amp for getting "my tone." Does that mean the amp is crappy? No. But that also doesn't mean that I can find "my tone" in that amp just because it's high quality. You can most CERTAINLY know what sound you want before you buy your amp. Knowing what sound you want is something that comes with experience and trying a lot of different amps.

You've done excellent research, and you've come up with 2 great options. But buying an amp to try to figure out what sound you want is exactly backwards. If you don't have a good idea of what you want your tone to be, then you stand a fantastic chance of being disappointed in your amp later on in life, which would've made the investment a total waste of money.

It's pretty obvious you're set on buying an amp now, so I know I can't say anything to convince you to give it a bit of time, but I hope you get lucky and choose one that you'll be happy with for a long time.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Well, what he's saying is that you should hold back and figure out what your sound is.

Sure, you've been researching a long time, but you're still a young guitar player. I've changed my idea on what "my tone" is multiple times in my playing career. I used to want a Vox AC30 with a boost, then I wanted a high gain Marshall-sounding amp, then I realized I didn't need that much gain, and started using a British sound with less gain, etc, etc,etc....

I could go on and on. Do you see what I'm getting at?
TO TNFOOTBALLFAN

this is the 3rd time ive had to type this because every time i reply its so big that Ultimate Guitar freezes up so ill make it as short as possible

im going to change my mind in music everyone does but why not persue what im intrested in now just as you did whenever you bought an amp to blues with as im sure you have maybe 5 years from now ull be playing something different and have to buy a new amp that complaments that style of music but is that not the orad of guitar? lol isent that just the way it is???
I started getting into computer video games a few years ago so i bought i computer for video games i used to want to be in the army a when i was like 8 so i bought g i joes are you saying people should wait and let their phases pass by?u have a blues phase i bet that why uve probobly got a blues amp.... i liked the army thats why i spent my money on gi joes

and by the way im not being stubborn although it may seem so. everything you are saying is really helping me out and allowing me to answere questions to myself that need to be answered that prolly never would have been asked if it werent for you so thank you for carring on this convorsation with me
^I'll address your childhood phases first: Video games and GI Joes aren't investments that you wasted literally thousands of dollars on. While you may not be into those things anymore, you certainly don't have that much money invested into them. Maybe this is my cheap side coming out, but I can't justify spending $2000 on something if I don't know that i'll still want to use it 2 years from now. And another thing is, when you bought those GI Joes, you KNEW you wanted GI Joes. You didn't have a big decision in front of you that you were uncertain about yet.

And as far as my tone goes, no, I don't think I'm going to change my mind anymore about what I like. My music tastes changed, but they moved towards blues, and it appears this is where they're going to say. I've been into blues for years now, and I have no desire to move away. Even if I do, I now know what guitar tones appeal to me. No matter what genres I may move towards, I KNOW how I want my guitar to sound. I guess it's not so much that your music tastes may change, but it's that you don't really know what you want yet, you're just betting on the fact that you'll be happy with a high quality amp. So, even if my tastes in tone change, at least that means that I was buying gear with a goal in mind. I had a tone in mind that I wanted to achieve, and I spent money to achieve it. It's just to risky to buy an expensive amp when you don't know what you want.

And thanks for being able to handle discussions maturely. That's a rarity on UG these days.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Page 1 of 2