I play a lot of metal/metalcore/hardcore type music with a lot of "cool" riffs. I've always had my action very low thinking thats whats for the best. I use EB Heavy Top Skinny Bottoms on my Schecter and I just raised it a lot just for the hell of it and I like it SOOO much better. My notes are much clearer, my bends sound great and are much easier, and its really no harder (if not easier for me) to play with the high action.

Anyone else play with high action? I just thought it was weird considering what I play I would prefer high action especially considering my neck is fairly thick.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
My bro's Strat has pretty high action. I dig it, even though it is a Strat.

I'm raising the action on my SG eventually. I'm gonna play slide on it, though.
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I play a lot of metal/metalcore/hardcore type music with a lot of "cool" riffs. I've always had my action very low thinking thats whats for the best. I use EB Heavy Top Skinny Bottoms on my Schecter and I just raised it a lot just for the hell of it and I like it SOOO much better. My notes are much clearer, my bends sound great and are much easier, and its really no harder (if not easier for me) to play with the high action.

Anyone else play with high action? I just thought it was weird considering what I play I would prefer high action especially considering my neck is fairly thick.

Have you re-adjusted your intonation? Because if you haven't I dread to think what it sounds like
I tried both, I have trouble doing sweeps and two handed tapping arpeggios with it. It makes my legato all funny sounding too. I raised my action to the point where it sounds perfectly clean and doesn't fret out on bends, and it's still very low.
go 4 it on changin ur action. but the easiest way to change intonation is to tune it up the press the 12th fret on each string and the farther its out of tune the more u adjust that string at the bridge, sry if u alredy no how 2
The trick to guitar is to move your fingers as little as possible. How can you do that when you have to raise your finger three inches when switching strings?
I prefer a medium action...but I read that Dan Donagan of Disturbed likes high action, and he's got some pretty nice sounding riffage from time to time.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
There are plenty of skilled technical guitarists that have sky-high action and play very cleanly and quickly, it's all a matter of feel and what you like.
Quote by red18420
The trick to guitar is to move your fingers as little as possible. How can you do that when you have to raise your finger three inches when switching strings?

Just cuase low action is easiest for you doesn't mean it is for everyone...
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS

Stevie Ray Vaughn, most notably.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i think what he means is going from almost clancky to a reasonable metal action... i went through the same thing with my ibanez as when i got it i droped the action to telecaster level for a month er 2 then raised it up an 1/8 of an inch and i seemed like an INSAINLY high action but it souned so much better.. if that helps at all lol
Quote by HaKattack
Pop Tarts. Strudels are a Austrian invention; Hitler was also from Austria.
Obviously, Toaster Strudels are the same as Toaster NAZIS.
Quote by maverick_137
go 4 it on changin ur action. but the easiest way to change intonation is to tune it up the press the 12th fret on each string and the farther its out of tune the more u adjust that string at the bridge, sry if u alredy no how 2

Reading this was the most agonizing thing I have done all day.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
I have my action in between both.

But I'd prefer super low, for sweeping and tapping.
I don't like super low action myself, it feels like I have no purchase on the strings. I like mine probably on the medium/high side
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
High action bugs the hell out of me.. that and dry fretboards.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
Quote by MakeItWitChu
High action bugs the hell out of me.. that and dry fretboards.

What exactly makes dry fretboards so bad? I agree with you though I don't like them.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I'm a fan of medium action. Ease of playing and clean tones. Lets me get alot of articulation whilst retaining playability. Each to their own though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
My guitar instructor's action is sky-high and he plays blues. He's been playing for 40-something years and is freakin' amazing with it.
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
What exactly makes dry fretboards so bad? I agree with you though I don't like them.

They just feel, weird, to me anyway, like when I'm doing bends it feels likes it's grating against the wood.

And to stay on topic, I have very low action on my guitar, but considering it's an Ibanez, that's to be expected, plus it's a floating bridge and that's too much hassle for me to try and change to higher action, only to find I hate it then have difficulty getting it just right again...
Funny words.
I don't really like high action. My friend's strat has the action like 2 or 3 mm off the fretboard at the first fret and I really hate playing on it.

I guess I'm used to having mine at like 0.5mm off the first fret...