Okay, so I have finally found my destined settings for my music. But what about my rhythm guitarist? I was wondering if there was a way to keep the same general tone for our thrash band (to be good for riffs and choruses), but still have a difference, so that you can tell the difference when I solo and when he solos. What I'm trying to say, is how will I make his tone more suited for rhythm. I currently have gain at 8, Bass at 8, Mids at 3, and treble at 9. I was thinking of adding a point or two to his bass and/ or mids. A different option would be for me to use the gain boost on my valveking, but I hate the way it makes everything sound like a louder version of the Sipder III.
you scoop your mids way too low.

Do you guys have different amps?
Whats the longest word?

Quote by timzee117
smiles

because theres a mile between the two s's!

/killme
have two seperate effects you bam on for the solo's, some tap echo for one and wah pedal for the other or somthing, to make each solo individual
The whole point of a lead is to stick out over the rhythm...if you cant cut thru (mids) then that defeats the purpose
Quote by Beebaboo
I though scooped mids were good for thrash metal leads? Kirk Hammet always has his mids on about 2.

Are you Kirk Hammet?
no.
And Kerry King from slayer (the =biggest thrash band ever, some say the co-founders of modern thrash), has his Eq like a frown.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by Beebaboo
I though scooped mids were good for thrash metal leads? Kirk Hammet always has his mids on about 2.

Hammet has terrible tone though..... (Just my opinion)

Turn your mids up(ALOT), turn down the Bass to about 7, the Treble to about 6

That's my kind of Thrash tone.
Quote by doctorcheeze200
Are you Kirk Hammet?
no.
And Kerry King from slayer (the =biggest thrash band ever, some say the co-founders of modern thrash), has his Eq like a frown.

Did I say I was Kirk Hammett? no. And your comment on slayer is laughable (). Seriously, can anyone answer my question? These comments on effects are helpful, but I don't really care for using wahs (maybe Kirk has low mids because the wah makes all the noise for him?) and pedals, I like having the music talk for me (so cliche ).

Also, If Kerry Kings has his settings like a frown, translated to my amp's panel, He also has very low mids
Last edited by Beebaboo at Aug 17, 2008,
you said thrash tone.
Slayer is thrash.
hos mids are at 8- 10
low is 6-7
hig is 6-8 i think.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
According to a quick google search, his mids are at about 4. I also didn't mean that Slayer wasn't thrash. They just aren't the most thrash IMO. On a more peaceful note, how is the 6506+? I may get one for my first head over a Marshall Vintage Modern.
Last edited by Beebaboo at Aug 17, 2008,
Quote by Beebaboo
According to a quick google search, his mids are at about 4. I also didn't mean that Slayer wasn't thrash. They just aren't the most thrash IMO. On a more peaceful note, how is the 6506+? I may get one for my first head over a Marshall Vintage Modern.

I hear it's good for metal. You could probably do better than that though for the price.

A lot of bands use Mesa. Check out their stuff. You might like the tone (I don't)
the 6505 is ana amzing amp, for metal.
its a very middy, dark amp, so my mids are about 3-4.
but with a good chorus pedal, the clean channel is decent.
its no fender, but you dont buy a 6505 for clean sounds.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Last edited by doctorcheeze200 at Aug 17, 2008,
Alright, back to the original question. How can I get my rhythm players settings to be more "rhythm-y" than mine? Do I turn up the bass, turn down the gain, or turn up the mids, or turn down the treble?
Quote by Beebaboo
Did I say I was Kirk Hammett? no. And your comment on slayer is laughable (). Seriously, can anyone answer my question? These comments on effects are helpful, but I don't really care for using wahs (maybe Kirk has low mids because the wah makes all the noise for him?) and pedals, I like having the music talk for me (so cliche ).

Also, If Kerry Kings has his settings like a frown, translated to my amp's panel, He also has very low mids

Contrary to several idiots, Slayer has a MASSIVE mid boost.

I mean MASSIVE. He has built in things for both his amp and guitar to boost his mids, and I'm pretty sure he already keeps his mids at like 7. Tom just fills in the bass sound.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Contrary to several idiots, Slayer has a MASSIVE mid boost.

I mean MASSIVE. He has built in things for both his amp and guitar to boost his mids, and I'm pretty sure he already keeps his mids at like 7. Tom just fills in the bass sound.

thanks.

and TS: raise his mids.
he will cut through the mix better, and sound less muddy.
and it will be a bit louder too.
the guitar is a very midrange instrument, if you take away the mids on a EQ, it tends to sound like crap.
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
I raised my mids to 5. I want to know why everyone is telling me to raise my mids when bands like metallica and megadeth (My two faves) have there mids at 4 or lower. I won't argue though. Now back to the original question, please!

And to slaytanic, I am not trying to get a sound like slayer, but a sound more like old metallica and old megadeth.
So, class, what did we learn today?

DONT SCOOP YOUR MIDS!!! Don't do it!!
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by Beebaboo
Alright, back to the original question. How can I get my rhythm players settings to be more "rhythm-y" than mine? Do I turn up the bass, turn down the gain, or turn up the mids, or turn down the treble?

Raise his mids, like ^ said.

Also, lessen his treble considerably, and keep his bass around 7.

You might want him to have even more gain than you do.
its b.c they used EQ pedals to bring the mids back in.

Try putting the bass a little higher, mabye raising your mids to 8 and lowering his to 5 lowering your Treble a little and raising his a little. Also have your amp on the "loose" setting on the 112 and his one the "tight" just to sound diffrent.

Or switch it to prefrence.
bugera 333xl (for sale)
B-52 4x12 cab
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Schecter c-1 FR prototype (for sale)
Squier strat

VOTE FOR MY BAND TO PLAY WARPED TOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.battleofthebands/darkestbeforedawn
Okay I now have my mids at 7, with gain at 8, bass at 8, and treble at 9. Sounds good. Sounds a bit like "rust in peace". I have a practice tomorrow, so I'll try out your suggestions.
if it sounds good to YOUR ears then yes, do it!!

but make sure that ur settings sound good WHILE playing w/ the band!!! what sounds good on your own and with another guitarist can vary some. scooped mids can sound cool by urself, but with another guitarist who has more mids you'll see how you have very little play-room with mids. they're necessary as stated millions of times before lol.

but yea, if you really dig ur sound then do it!!! ALSO, i'd say have ur rhythm guitarist use an OD for his rhythm to fatten it up, and you should use just a TAD of delay and ur lead tone will sound a bit more advanced, glory of the delay pedal lol.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Quote by Explorer125
Hammet has terrible tone though..... (Just my opinion)

Turn your mids up(ALOT)

+ a ton
Kirks tone is, imo, pretty bad.

Mids are what helps your sound cut through the mix. Obviously, this is essential for lead tones.

Boost those mids for solos.

Mess with your friends amp until you find good settings that are different from yours.
Ever think about using different effects on solos TS?
My old band in FL used to always do that.
A common misconception is that Metallica scooped their mids. Okay, so if you looked at their amps, you'd see that they had the mids turn kinda low.

However, one detail you;re taking into account is they were playing through Marshalls early in their career - amps with a plentiful amount of mids. So where Metallica is just lowering the already bountiful amount of mids, you're scooping mids on an amp that doesn't have as much as a Marshall.
Quote by forsaknazrael
A common misconception is that Metallica scooped their mids. Okay, so if you looked at their amps, you'd see that they had the mids turn kinda low.

However, one detail you;re taking into account is they were playing through Marshalls early in their career - amps with a plentiful amount of mids. So where Metallica is just lowering the already bountiful amount of mids, you're scooping mids on an amp that doesn't have as much as a Marshall.

not entirely true bands have different heads and amps for there solo tone so once performing a solo, it used through the other head which has a complete different settings to the rhythm section

but TS

u could add reverb, slight delay to fatten the sound,
Quote by Martindecorum
not entirely true bands have different heads and amps for there solo tone so once performing a solo, it used through the other head which has a complete different settings to the rhythm section

I don't see what you're trying to say - I never said there wasn't a difference between EQs in a rhythm or solo sections of a song.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't see what you're trying to say - I never said there wasn't a difference between EQs in a rhythm or solo sections of a song.

but thats what the topic starter wants to now how to create two good sounds basically in one
Remember that Live Tone and Recording tone differs. You need to be heard live and cut through, wheras thats the mixers job with recording

Anyway OP just one of you use the rhythm humbucker for their solos. Easy peasy. Or buy a Tubescreamer each.
Quote by Beebaboo
I raised my mids to 5. I want to know why everyone is telling me to raise my mids when bands like metallica and megadeth (My two faves) have there mids at 4 or lower. I won't argue though. Now back to the original question, please!

And to slaytanic, I am not trying to get a sound like slayer, but a sound more like old metallica and old megadeth.

Megadeth = gargantuan mid boost as well.

It's all about the mids.

Put your amps settings at, like:

Treble: 6
Gain: (Whatever you prefer)
Mids: 6 (or 7 if you want more crisp).

Then, fill in the bass where you feel it necessary
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by forsaknazrael

Exactly, the amps Kirk uses have mids out of the ass.

If he didn't scoop his mids he would have worse tone than he already has.