My band and I are going into our senior year of high school. Some of us are thinking about college (different colleges) and one is considering the military. We reached our peak about a year ago, a point at which we were very good, but since have just become too busy and lost a certain amount of dedication. Basically we've been dormant for a year. Now we've been talking about getting back together and when we're honest with ourselves, we realize that this is what we want to do. We're more marketable and better technically than most bands trying to get big today, but our big advantage is that we write great songs and just have "it", that thing that no one can describe but stands out to everyone.

Our dedication and motivation is stronger than ever now, but we see a big road block. Not going to college in an attempt to hit it big with the band would be unacceptable with our parents, but ignoring our calling would be unacceptable to us.

I'm not necessarily asking which road to take because I'm almost certain we're gonna try and hit it big, but I am asking what advice you may have. I know that we could all go to college together and keep the band together, or all move out to a high profile city. What do you think would be the best course of action, and if any one doubts our talent they can check out our myspace, http://www.myspace.com/guardrailsband . Granted most songs are either live or unfinished, but all is there that you need to see that we have what no one else does.

Help?
Okay, you guys do look kinda weird (how old is your bass player?!)

But I've got to admit that you do sound really good!! And you get tonnes of pussy judging by that picture :P: haha.

I think you should go to college though and just meet up again afterwards and get the band sorted out after College is out of the way.

you and your band are very talented! i am going to send you a friend request.

back to the point, i think you should go to collage while touring locally to get bigger in your local area. you could practice and gig on weekends, maybe?
Quote by Take This Life
FREEBIRD!

We seriously played it and tore it up. But that's one of those songs that afterwards you realize it's a pretty dumb thing to do. So we haven't done it since haha
Quote by briman007
My band and I are going into our senior year of high school. Some of us are thinking about college (different colleges) and one is considering the military. We reached our peak about a year ago, a point at which we were very good, but since have just become too busy and lost a certain amount of dedication. Basically we've been dormant for a year. Now we've been talking about getting back together and when we're honest with ourselves, we realize that this is what we want to do. We're more marketable and better technically than most bands trying to get big today, but our big advantage is that we write great songs and just have "it", that thing that no one can describe but stands out to everyone.

Our dedication and motivation is stronger than ever now, but we see a big road block. Not going to college in an attempt to hit it big with the band would be unacceptable with our parents, but ignoring our calling would be unacceptable to us.

I'm not necessarily asking which road to take because I'm almost certain we're gonna try and hit it big, but I am asking what advice you may have. I know that we could all go to college together and keep the band together, or all move out to a high profile city. What do you think would be the best course of action, and if any one doubts our talent they can check out our myspace, http://www.myspace.com/guardrailsband . Granted most songs are either live or unfinished, but all is there that you need to see that we have what no one else does.

Help?

How many shows did/have you guys played? From your extremely overlong band overview, you only talk about the first gig. Did you ever get rolling back in 2006 with multiple gigs?
If I were you, I would go with what drew said.
It doesn't matter how good your songwriting is or how tight your set is, unless you have an amazingly strong network, it will take a whole lot of sheer luck to "make it big".

If everyone in your band has the drive and dedication to make it work like you say....go for it. Make sure you know what your getting yourself into though.

PS: Music stands on stage are a major turn off to industry people. Get out of that habit now.
PPS: Professional opinion...your very far away from "making it" based on what I've seen on your myspace. Very far.
PPPS: Not meant to be offensive, just being honest with you.
For Sale/Trade:
Boss AC-2
Dunlop GCB 95

Telecaster Deluxe '72 reissue > Peavey VTX
Fender J Bass
Last edited by t0pher at Aug 18, 2008,
Let me introduce you to a phrase.

'Long Term Band'

This is a shared project that a bunch of guys will have when they all have lot's of different things to, universities to go to and other bands to play for.
What happens is that you each have your seperate lives, you go and play for different bands and meet new people to jam with who will influence you in different directions, then, occasionaly, when you're all in the same town for a while, you get back together and bring all your new influences with you, creating a more original sound than you used to have.
Eventualy, after everyone has finished uni and moved back home, you come back together as a perminant band again, after gaining loads of experience individualy with your own university bands.
You will now all have the experience, and ability, plus the original sound that's desired to actualy have a serious shot at the 'big time.'
Keep the band alive! but go to college. you never know what twists and turns will be thrown at you by the music industry. and then if you don't have a degree or college experience, you'll be flipping burgers at McDonalds for the rest of your lives. not very fun man.

So, for sure keep the band going, but you need to have a fallback or a base incase things don't go as planned. Dude, Brian May has a PhD in Astrophysics. even though he didn't finish his PhD until 30 years of Queen had passed, he at least had a masters degree incase he needed something to fall onto. You need to follow your dreams, but you really need to look at the long term and take in all of the variables.