I know that a squire p bass is made out of cheaper parts and wood but i need to go cheap, i was wondering if i got a squire p bass, put new pickups and better strings would it be a good value, i was wanting to go cheaper than a fender p bass because i need enough money for a 250w 15' fender bassman amp. Would the squire still be a good value?
A Squier through a good amp sounds a lot better than a Fender through a rubbish one.
the vintage modified p basses i hear are quite good and well worth the money. i say go for it
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Yeah, go for the Squier Vintage Modified series. They're as good as Fender Standards (MIM) and cost a great deal less. And you should still have the cash for a good amp.

Squier VM P or J & 250w Bassman amp is better than Fender MIM P or J and a "whatever I can get with the change" amp.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well, I dont like fenders or squires

But if your running them through the same rig, Id put my money on the fender.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
Well, I dont like fenders or squires

But if your running them through the same rig, Id put my money on the fender.

He wouldn't be though. He'd be running it through whatever amp he bought with the money he had left after buying a Fender. I hear the Squier 70's Vintage Jazz bass is really nice for the price.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by dullsilver_mike
The VM squier pickups aren't going to sound worse than the stock MiM pups so don't even worry about changing it out. Fit and feel of the bass is the main difference between a squier and a mexican fender IMO.

yep
squier VM feel much better than any MIM fender
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by litus
yep
squier VM feel much better than any MIM fender

some do, mine is about par lol
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Quote by CaptainJack666
some do, mine is about par lol

Same here. I have a VM jazz and MiM p-bass, equally comfy, of course the p feels more substantial in my hands just because it's a P. Stock MiM p-bass pickup was terrible IMO, worse than that of plenty of no-name starter basses.
I just have to say this: IT'S SPELLED SQUIER!!! And on topic, I would go with either a Squier VM or a Fender MIM
Quote by ccmetz2020
I just have to say this: IT'S SPELLED SQUIER!!! And on topic, I would go with either a Squier VM or a Fender MIM

Really helpful. Really, really helpful response.

I expect you only responded to this thread because you had something to say about the spelling of Squier.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
Really helpful. Really, really helpful response.

I expect you only responded to this thread because you had something to say about the spelling of Squier.

maybe...
lol at ccmetz.

the Squier is certainly worth it's salt. that VM is a nice bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Do they make highway one basses? WOW. I saw a HW1 stratocaster for the first time the other day, and those things are a STEAL. I think it was like, $600 dollars. For an american-made strat with a HOT matte finish and seymour duncan pickups I beleive.
does anyone here know anything about the Squier Vintage 60's vibe J bass, i'm looking into a j bass, but don't have the money for a fender
Quote by vickers89
what about highway one? there a great range of guitars/basses
you get everything for the money other than the finish

I've seen people debate the finish more than the rest of the bass. Some people love it and some people hate it. I'm curious, why don't you like it?

Quote by Anjohl
Do they make highway one basses? WOW. I saw a HW1 stratocaster for the first time the other day, and those things are a STEAL. I think it was like, $600 dollars. For an american-made strat with a HOT matte finish and seymour duncan pickups I beleive.

I have a Highway One Jazz in Sunburst and I love it. It plays really well, and it looks really great. It's a bit more expensive than $600 though. I got mine for $850 with tax.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by the humanity
lol at ccmetz.

the Squier is certainly worth it's salt. that VM is a nice bass.

Agreed, it can definitely hold a candle to the MIM Fenders...

also, I know it's been said by cc, but it is spelled Squier. :p Someday the world will figure that out.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden