Alright after a few years of that crappy 90 dollar target guitar it is time to upgrade. I play mainly metal (bullet for my valentine, as i lay dying, atreyu, trivium etc.). i've spent some time looking and have found three choices i've deemed acceptable:
Ibanez S620EXQM
Ibanez RG420EX
ESP LTD H-1001

from what i gathered those a decent metal guitars (not really looking to spend more than those). first impression was i'd get the S620 cuz i hear the ZR is sick. but idk anything bout changing tunings/strings on bridges like that and was wondering how much a pain it is. i usually keep my guitar a step down in D and then use drop C to play BFMV and AILD. would dropping the 6th string be a problem for the trem? and what is the problem with the edge III? most all i hear is ppl rag on it. also just would like to know thoughts on these with the EMG's. i think they are all 'active' p.u. so does that mean they needa battery?

thanks for the help
Last edited by theBONErocks at Aug 17, 2008,
The Edge III is made of really soft metal, so the knife edges ware down quickly, which leads to a plethora of problems. And I would also look into a new amp if your considering pickups.
Staff Sergeant of The Megadeth Military
PM BlackicN to join

Archbishop of Zeppelinism
PM heartbreaker

Gear
Guitars
ESP LTD MH1000
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
81 Gibson SG
Parker PM20
Amps
Fender Hotrod Deluxe
Roland Cube 60x
Have you considered Dean guitars?
If I were you I would get the S series Ibanez. And no, dropping the 6th string isn't a problem, if you do it right. good luck!
LTD JD 600
Fender Celtic Esquire
Ibanez RGA7
Schecter S-1 Elite
Line 6 FM4
KORG Pitchblack
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Wah
Ibanez TS-9
ISP Decimator
Peavey 6505 Halfstack
Marshall 1960b Cab
Line 6 POD X3 Live
EMG's need batteries but they last about 6 months. Also the ZR is pain to tune and change strings if you use other tunings a lot. And Edge III's don't last long if you abuse it a lot. If you chose to get a guitar with it make sure it gets a good setup. If it were me I'd probably get the ESP.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

depends on a few things, emgs are active which mean they do take batterys,but emg-hz's do not the emgs on the esp are 81 and 85 which mean they are battery powered, dont listen to people who say emgs suck or they run out of battery power fast, i have a dean and the batterys in the emgs are the same as when i got them i havent changed them yet and they are still good, just dont leave your guitar plugged into your amp/cord totally unhook it when ur done playing or it will drain the battery , same with your pedals that are battery powered and such. On to the next topic, iv found ibanez suck, but thats my personal experience, BUT if u do get one of the ibanez's you cannot drop C with the floyd, and if u have no experience with a floyd i suggest you get the esp, out of those 3 guitars personally id choose the esp, i have an esp ltd ex400 bd, and i always plays dropped tuning, i certainly couldnt play anything dropped with my dean cause it has a floyd and its pretty much only good for dropped D and standard. so my answer to you is pick the esp i think itd be better for your tastes.hope this helped you.
thanks so far guys. now a couple more questions have arisen. you say dropping the sixth string isn't a problem 'if u do it right'. right now i just play the open 6,5,4 strings and tune down the till i get the chord...would the S series require something else? like adjusting springs or something? and about tunings on the ZR i mainly keep all my other strings besides the 6th a step down all the time, don't really go to standard any more. and finally string guage. can i put 11's on the S out of the box or does that require adjusting as well?

thanks a bunch

so lemme get this straight i can't put the S series in drop C? because of the trem..?
your edge/floyd could probably put 11's on it but you would have to remove the back plate and screw in the springs until the tension evens out, its a hassel especially drop tuning/changing string gauge, i hugely suggest the esp if you want to do all this without the headache and it possibly not even working out for you
Quote by necroscience13
im sorry but dude, bullet for my valentine isnt metal

i didn't say i strickly play metal, said mostly. and they are harder than some
Quote by Dimebagjeff
your edge/floyd could probably put 11's on it but you would have to remove the back plate and screw in the springs until the tension evens out, its a hassel especially drop tuning/changing string gauge, i hugely suggest the esp if you want to do all this without the headache and it possibly not even working out for you

now i'd only have to do this once yes? or even after i've had 11's on and change to new 11's i'd need to do it again.
yeah just gotta do it once, but if u do all this then your guitar will strictly be used for drop c and possibly D-standard. But when u get it all in tune and string tension for 11's then itll be fine for 11's therefore after that gotta stick with 11;s but im sure thats no big deal to you. Im also not 100% sure about the springs and the tension since iv never used an egde but i do have a floyd and i know its tricky ****, think about the esp first of all, all you have to do is slap the 11's on it and down tune, and this way since theres no trem, u can tune it to whatever u please, i know that when im playing or learning songs its an advantage to have no trem since i can tune up and down in the matter of seconds, instead of with a trem u have to worry about the springs , locking nut which tuning and what not
i do keep it in D-standard. that has become my E. i only really go up if there is a song in E i'd like to learn and feel it doens't sound good in D, but for the most part they sound alright a step down. only tuning changes i'd do is D standard to drop C
dude u can put the s series into drop c, its not much of a prob, just that u have to open the locking nuts, n it takes a couple of minutes.
my band is currently doing unholy confessions, and the original tuning is drop d, but we're doing the song with drop c tuning for the vocals, n there's no problem at all( i have an s6200exqm)
hope this helps!
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

of course it'll only take a min to go to drop C. but my dilema is the that i frequently change between drop C and D standard. and changing the 6th string from C to D will cause the tension to change throwing the other strings out of tune.
no no no, it wont.....or u can set it up such that u can quickly switch between the 2 just thru the fine tuners on the bridge, i do that to switch between standard and drop d while plying live....

also, its double locking, so evem if u open the locking nuts for the top 2 strings, other strings wont go out of tune

i am speaking from experience, i own the same guitar u want
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

I think you could get much better than those for the money... dont even go near the RG's, they're pretty bad in my experience, and I've never tried the LTD, but for that amount of coin, you can get a Jackson RR3, or a pretty good Epiphone, or just a more versatile ESP/LTD model like the EC-500 or the EC-1000, but remember your amp is 90% of your tone...

-Van
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Oct 15, 2008,
While I'd go the ESP/LTD route, I'd save $120 and get the less gawdy H-500 w/EMGs.

All of the 1000 series models are a bit too tacky for my tastes.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"