I'm trying to find a bunch of exercises to do everyday, I work nights so I can spare a few hours in the morning dedicated to playing. Post up your exercisers, or anything else I can do to increase my picking accuracy and hand control...anything and everything to become a better player!
Martin DX1
79' Strat with original 1972 maple neck w/bullet truss / Lace Sensor Golds
93' Strat mahogany neck with Lace Sensor Silver.
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Something that I feel works good is when you take the Chromatic 1-2-3-4 (Assuming you've done it before?) and slow it down to 60 bpm. Use Metronomeonline.com if you have to.

But you focus really hard on some aspects overlooked when doing other exercises. Space between your fingers, make sure they are equal. A good way to measure is that you are placing your finger right before the fret. If you get into the habit of unevenly spaced fingers, it could slow you down later on. There is a time and a place for different spacing of course but this is just a way to practice it.

Next is economy of motion. I can't believe when I read lessons and watch videos almost no one mentions this. It's extremely important. Basically what you do is use the least movement possible to complete the chromatic scale. Lifting your fingers off just barely to get the string to stop ringing and keeping them close as you can.

Tension, also be aware of the tension you put on your strings. Just put enough to make the guitar ring.

Finally, making sure you are using alternate picking and picking right on the beat. When I say right on the beat, I mean right on the beat okay?

This is not something to do in front of the Tv. This requires a lot of focus.
i play the chromatic in front of the t.v.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
Quote by Sam_Prillaman
i play the chromatic in front of the t.v.

The Chromatic exercise you use and the one I do are a lot different. Mine is all about focusing on the little things.
I was just doing it to mess with you btw
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
I do the 1-2-3-4, I've been playing for around 1.5-2 years now.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Anyone else?
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
Also, if anyone has fingerstyle exercises please post those asap also!
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..
I do the 1-2-3-4 skip a string 1-2-3-4 go up a string 1-2-3-4 skip a string. it looks like this

-1-2-3-4------------------------------------
------------------------1-2-3-4----------
------------1-2-3-4----------------------
-----------------------------------1-2-3-4

And so on...
Chromatic exercises at first. Then spider exercises like 1-3-2-4, 1-4-2-3, 1-3-4-2, 1-2-4-3 and so on up and down the strings and neck. Slowly I grow more complex starting the spiders with different frets (i.e. 4-1-3-2) then I proceed to do scales. Starting slow and going faster, I do at least three repetitions of each scale pattern - this helps with memorization. I also stretch my left hand a bit with some whole tone scales and bends, as well as vibrato. A good vibrato technique is instrumental (no pun intended) and really is what makes the guitar a unique instrument (most instruments can't utilize vibrato in a way that the guitar can).

After that I practice alternate picking by focusing especially on my right hand with spider licks - starting slow and building to my maximum. This helps my technique become more clear and polished. Then, pinch harmonics - they take some time to master, after all.

Moving back to the left hand I then practice sweep arpeggios. I usually spend the most time on this because honestly I just can't do them well - and always start slow and focus on the right hand. The left hand should have no trouble forming the shape - it's syncing the right hand and left and performing the methodical "sweep" that gives me trouble.

After that I usually work on songs, maybe try to write... or I'll just jam to some things and improvise a solo.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
There are so many different versions of chromatic-type runs you can practice and pretty much all of them are worthwhile in some way; you can just make your own up too. Make sure you stick to the format of playing them slowly, keep as little tension as you can right from your shoulder through to your fingers and concentrate on economy of motion.

For instance, ones I've been using a fair bit lately.
|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|---3-2---1-----4-|
|-----------------|-----------------|---3-2---1-----4-|-----------------|
|-----------------|---3-2---1-----4-|-----------------|-1-----4---3-2---|
|---3-2---1-----4-|-----------------|-1-----4---3-2---|-----------------|
|-----------------|-1-----4---3-2---|-----------------|-----------------|
|-1-----4---3-2---|-----------------|-----------------|-----------------|
and
|------------------|-----------------|-------4-1-------|
|------------------|-------4-1-------|---2---------3---|
|--------4-1-------|---2---------3---|-----3-----2-----|
|---2----------3---|-----3-----2-----|-1-------------4-|
|-----3------2-----|-1-------------4-|-----------------|
|-1--------------4-|-----------------|-----------------|

It's great to have lots of exercises you can use in your practicing, but you want to be mixing it up, not settling on a certain few and only using them.
Plus, coming up with your own ideas for exercises can help with creativity.
Last edited by ChrisN at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by ChrisN
There are so many different versions of chromatic-type runs you can practice and prety much all of them are worthwhile in some way; you can pretty much make your own up. Just make sure you stick to the format of playing them slowly, keep as little tension as you can right from your shoulder through to you fingers and concentrate on economy of motion.

This man speaks the truth. Indeed it is all about mixing it up - practice should ensure you should be able to play whatever you want, not specifically certain things. Chromatic excercises aren't really meant to be used as licks in that you practice them over and over, but some guitarists do use them in their songs.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
1-2-3-4 down
1-3-4 down
1-4 down
2-4 down

random economy picking stuff aswell

so basically figures steve vai's 10 hour wo will the scales
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
I usually do about 25 sit-ups followed by 25 push-ups and then a 30 minute jog out side
/lame joke

Anyways just start off with the most basic 1-2-3-4 exercise and then slowly start to work your way to harder exercise like the one ChrisN posted
I leik music
Thank you much fellas. Does anyone have any tips/advice/exercises on proper finger picking technique? Even techniques with a pick? I've searched, haven't found a whole lot.

My finger picking right now is pretty much limited to stairway to heaven (of course) dust in the wind, nothing else matters....nothing involving incredible amounts of skill.

This is where in alot of my playing problems arise from my own judgment. If I could feel 100% confident and accurate in picking, with a pick or with my fingers....then the rest is cake.

I know the 1-2-3-4 exercises are are meant to address this, but for some reason I can pick up the timing...but not the accuracy.
Martin DX1
Blackface Fender Twin
Lots of pedals..