Quote by Capua47
seemed more like running through shapes at different speeds than an actual improv, but its a good start.

Well I'm still working on my impro skills

Do you mind sharing a video of a good improvision?
Not bad, but I urge you to try to learn to improvise chords. Knowing chords is really good when you try something that is not metal. It will make you a lot more versatil. I just joined a band, and they would play stuff to which i would come up with some really cool weird chords that bring the whole thing to life.
Quote by nyandres
Not bad, but I urge you to try to learn to improvise chords. Knowing chords is really good when you try something that is not metal. It will make you a lot more versatil. I just joined a band, and they would play stuff to which i would come up with some really cool weird chords that bring the whole thing to life.

I'm gonna be honest with you I don't know a lot of chords. Only a handful other then powerchords. Do you recommend any chords that I should learn?
Quote by Capua47
seemed more like running through shapes at different speeds than an actual improv, but its a good start.

Agreed, but it's fine. Not as if you're doing anything wrong. My suggestion is to (not saying you aren't of course) learn what notes you're playing instead of just memorizing a shape. That way you're playing what you want instead of just hitting random notes in a scale.

EDIT: Don't **** yourself over like I did. Learn your chords and your voicings.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by nyandres

What do u mean by improvising chords? Making up your own chords? How dyu do that then, by playing multiple notes from scales I suppose?
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

Quote by abcdboy
Agreed, but it's fine. Not as if you're doing anything wrong. My suggestion is to (not saying you aren't of course) learn what notes you're playing instead of just memorizing a shape. That way you're playing what you want instead of just hitting random notes in a scale.

EDIT: Don't **** yourself over like I did. Learn your chords and your voicings.

Good idea I will definitely learn the notes
I think you need to work on your bending and vibrato; your vibrato is inconsistent and your bends are too few and out of tune.

More than that though you need to work on getting the balance between yourself and the backing track right; your playing was barely audible at some points.

This is a really good blues improv in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwvLglmOfY

It's spelled "Improvisation" by the way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I think you need to work on your bending and vibrato; your vibrato is inconsistent and your bends are too few and out of tune.

More than that though you need to work on getting the balance between yourself and the backing track right; your playing was barely audible at some points.

This is a really good blues improv in my opinion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwvLglmOfY

It's spelled "Improvisation" by the way.

Ya I'm not very good with bends at all. And also not really a fan of blues either TBH. Only reason I did the impro with A blues is because it's the only full scale I know other then Major. Is there anything you recommend to improve timing?
chords is like alfaomega in music, that will help you alot, i you got feeling in your playin and thats important too. keep up the good work
Quote by Muscle_Guitar
Thanks for the videos. I'm more into progressive metal myself. This is where I wanna be eventually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCkxA8OeM94

Then you're going to have to get working with the metronome on your picking skills but at the same time don't forget the basics; chord work, theory, bending in tune and good vibrato.

Overall I think what any player needs more than anything else is confidence though; you can hear confidence in someone's playing.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Then you're going to have to get working with the metronome on your picking skills but at the same time don't forget the basics; chord work, theory, bending in tune and good vibrato.

Overall I think what any player needs more than anything else is confidence though; you can hear confidence in someone's playing.

So you can hear it in me too right? lol

Ya I definitely get what your saying. Do you recommend doing a lot of exercises or really hard songs for improvement?
Quote by Muscle_Guitar
So you can hear it in me too right? lol

Ya I definitely get what your saying. Do you recommend doing a lot of exercises or really hard songs for improvement?

Both; sometimes it's difficult to find a song to push you to the next level so you'll need exercises to push you there but for the most part you can find songs for most areas of technique.

The really important thing is that whatever you play and however you learn it; accuracy is the prime concern, not speed.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well I also listen to technical death metal so that and prog metal together I shouldn't have too much trouble finding hard songs