Say I have an amplifier head like the Tiny Terror and there's a room full of Marshall combos... Is there any way to hook the combo's speaker to the external amplifier head?

I'm pretty sure I read that some combos have detachable speaker cables between the internal amplifier and speaker inside the cabinet.
yes, disconnect the speaker from the combo and plug it into the TT. Make sure you know the impedance of the speaker first. If it doesn't say on the amp, use a multimeter and measure the impedance of the speaker.
Quote by al112987
yes, disconnect the speaker from the combo and plug it into the TT. Make sure you know the impedance of the speaker first. If it doesn't say on the amp, use a multimeter and measure the impedance of the speaker.

Excellent, thanks. Also, is the speaker cable long enough to reach the Tiny Terror if it sat ontop of the combo? Or do I need some kind of extension?
That is a good question.

If you're working with a closed back combo, you're likely going to have to try to get creative with how you set it up. See how much of the cable you can pull out from behind, otherwise, you'll need an extension.
what combo are you looking at using?

just out of curiosity. In the end, most Marshall combos I've played use pretty lousy stock speakers.
The practice room I go to has various low-mid range Marshalls including an AVT and a few MGs. But I think most of the problem with those amps is in the fizzy distortion unit and hopefully not the speakers.
Ah...

I hate to burst your bubble but the MG and AVT speakers are especially bad. The funny thing is that as much hate as these amps get, a speaker swap improves their tone significantly (and yet, no one hates on the valveking for sounding like **** stock).

I've tried using an AVT combo as a speaker for one of my amps during a testing stage and it was really a disaster. There is a significant problem with the bass response (flabby and overbearing), ice picky highs and just a lot of mud in general. Definitely do not plan on it being a long term cabinet. It really sounds like ****.
They're just bad speakers in general. Its ok temporarily but not for full time use. I would NEVER EVER do that at a gig. Honestly, I'd prefer to salvage my audiences hearing
Just get a decent 2x12 cab. They're all over the place used. Check your local craigslist. $200-$250.
I'm using a ****ty Epiphone Firefly 30 watt combo I got for free as the cabinet for my TT head, it's buzzy and **** and but it's better than nothing and my PPC112 should be turning up any day now.

So yeah, you CAN use a combo as a cab but chances are it won't sound as good as a matchin cab.
Quote by gregs1020
Just get a decent 2x12 cab. They're all over the place used. Check your local craigslist. $200-$250.

I actually came up with the idea so that I wouldn't have to lug a huge cabinet to practice. Without a cabinet, the TT is very portable.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I actually came up with the idea so that I wouldn't have to lug a huge cabinet to practice. Without a cabinet, the TT is very portable.

Well try the combo's as cabs and see what you think, it may work for you. Or get a 1x12 cab for the TT with a good speaker.