As an 18-year-old, soon-to-be college student, I was in need of a vehicle. A reliable vehicle with wonderful mileage, and somewhat small. My mom and I made a deal - her and my step-father would pay for my car and insurance, as long as I pay for college. It was a good deal to me, so I took it.

They began the search, and the search ended at Ira Toyota in Danvers, Massachusetts. I was purchased a 2008 Toyota Yaris, electric blue, with the additional B-package. It's a small car, very reliable, and gets upwards of 36 miles to the gallon. The dealer drove it up to New Hampshire from Danvers, and from my town's Town Hall, I got to drive it home. It was very comfortable, and thank god, it's not an Automatic.

Anyways, that was this past Tuesday. Due to the fact that the purchase was made out-of-state, the dealership couldn't perform the free inspection, so my step-dad and I decided that, on Saturday, he and I would drive to the Ira BMW in Stratham, NH. Since the car wasn't totally road-legal, I couldn't drive it too far all week. Just around town and such.

Come Saturday, my mom, step-dad, and I drive up to Stratham to get my Yaris inspected. We drive it into the service bay, and we wait in the lounge. We watch the Weather Channel (in high definition), and watch the path of some severe thunderstorms. They were still pretty far away (or so we thought).

The inspection was over, my car was now road-legal, and we all went out to lunch. We ate, got back in the car, and headed back towards home. Driving down Rt. 111, there are extremely dark clouds off in the distance, and there are noticeable flashes being emitted from the obvious thunderstorm. It starts drizzling, so I just turn my wipers on low, and merge onto Rt. 125. Halfway down, I tell my mom that I'm going to go to the local Cumberland Farms to pick up an application. See, I am 18, starting college in the fall, and I still don't, and never have, had a job.

Anyways, after I say this, it starts pouring. I slow my speed from 45 to about 35, and keep on my way. My step-dad says, "It's really coming down out there", to which my mother replies, "It's hailing." Now, you could hear a slight ting on the roof of the car, but it sounded more like huge raindrops. We drive for about 15 seconds when, suddenly, I hear a cracking noise. Then another, and another, and more. Hail starts bouncing off of my windshield and hood, and it's landing in the street. I drive for a few hundred more feet, until the sound of the hail is so loud that you can't even hear a person in the car scream. I pull to the side of the road (as did everyone else who was driving on that stretch), and the hail just got bigger and bigger. Some of it ranged from dime to quarter sized, while some if it was just the size of a pea. It continued on for about 10 minutes, and the noise was practically unbearable. I was almost in tears; not because of fear, but because I was so pissed that my car JUST became road-legal, and the first thing that happens is I get caught in a severe hailstorm. My mom is in the back seat, having an anxiety attack (same reasons as me), and my step-dad is in the passenger seat, keeping his hand on the windshield, feeling for excess pressure and examining for cracks.

Finally, the hail stops and traffic gets going again. The rain lets out a little bit, and we're just left with really bright flashes of lightning and really loud, really drawn-out rumbles of thunder. We get home, I look the car over and, to my f*cking surprise, there isn't a single dent, scratch, or crack ANYWHERE on the vehicle. It was in perfect shape.

About 10 miles away from where this all occurred, this is what awaited us at my house...

Anyways, I know my story is probably too long and boring for most to read, but it's interesting.

(tl;dr - my Toyota Yaris got caught in a hailstorm with no damage. i lucked out, really.)

EDIT - oh, and, it would be important to take notice of the fact that this took place in the middle of East Bumf*ck, New Hampshire, which is thousands of miles away from where stuff like this usually occurs.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Thanks for the tl;dr version. It made my night a lot better.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by DoubleyouW
Lmao wow sick story! :P
Consider yuorself lucky :O

Yeah. Funny part is, about 3 weeks ago, a tornado tore through Eastern New Hampshire, traveling close to 80 miles, causing more than $20,000,000 in damages.

Either the Earth hates New Hampshire, or the entire world is going to Hell. We've been getting some unbearably odd weather the last couple of months.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Quote by landerson
as far as the title... i was gunna guess a russian papa smurf....
I was gonna say his penis....
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
we get that crap all the time here...

and you got a yaris... it deserves hail damage kidding
Quote by innertom
So much down syndrome

remember UG Community? thought so.
They are paying for your car + insurance if you pay for college?

This just seems odd, doesn't college cost more? That and you don't have a job.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by NeverMeant
You've never had a job and you own a car.

Indeed. I wouldn't necessarily need to own a car except for the fact that, well, all of the places within walking distance of my house aren't hiring. They're mostly general stores which pay minimum wage anyways.

So, in order to get to and from the job which I will soon have, I will need a vehicle.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Quote by shadesofanger
They are paying for your car + insurance if you pay for college?

This just seems odd, doesn't college cost more? That and you don't have a job.

I'm going to a community college, so it will only be around $2,700 a year or so.

Quote by moody07747
thats small hail IMO

it takes quite a bit to dent a car or break a window on it, the glass and metal are much stronger than that ice.

My friend's dad's station wagon was severely damaged in a storm similar to this one, a couple towns over, last summer. The hail was close to the same size (most of it was quarter sized, though; not too much pellet stuff), and the hood of his car looks like he drove through a field of kids, all swinging aluminum baseball bats.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Last edited by Jekkyl at Aug 18, 2008,
Just for the record, those aren't my hands. Those are the hands of my step-father.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Man hail sucks I live on a farm and hail shredded all our crops this summer, it was on the news and everything.
I say for now on, you put the tl;dr at the top of the page. I read the whole thing. Was quite interesting. I'm glad you lucked out, and what a nice car you have.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by drunkenhamster1
i totally thought this would be about a dead baby.

You. Are. Not. Alone.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
not a single scratch? that's pretty amazing!

toyota's ftw
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I was driving home from Haverhill yesterday and saw the aftermath.
I had no idea it even happened. The place was trashed, it looked like a post-apocalyptic movie scene.

Did you lose power, too?
Mine was out until like 6:30.

Glad to hear the new car is feeling ok.
Quote by daltonator9690
I was driving home from Haverhill yesterday and saw the aftermath.
I had no idea it even happened. The place was trashed, it looked like a post-apocalyptic movie scene.

Did you lose power, too?
Mine was out until like 6:30.

Glad to hear the new car is feeling ok.

This is a bit of a late response but, no, I didn't. Lucky us, the power actually stayed on. It was surprising.

Where in New Hampshire do you live? Driving home from Haverhill, I'm gonna have to assume you're somewhere in Rockingham County?

EDIT - okay, wow, I'm a slow motherf*cker. Ignore the entire last part of that response, because I JUST realized who I quoted. lol
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
what does tl;dr mean?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
what does tl;dr mean?

Too long; didn't read
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
Quote by Jekkyl
Too long; didn't read

thanks
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
I drove into the back of someone at 8mph....

He got a tiny, TINY dent and all i got was a slightly wonky number plate...

Oh, and he was a Captain in the Biritsh Army.
Quote by Jekkyl
EDIT - oh, and, it would be important to take notice of the fact that this took place in the middle of East Bumf*ck, New Hampshire, which is thousands of miles away from where stuff like this usually occurs.

yeh but i'm in England, thousands of miles away from the tropical storms and we're gonna get 10 days of rain in a day tomorrow.

any chance your weather could also have come from the winds in the caribbean?
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Quote by af_the_fragile
Thats cool dude!
I wished it hailed like that over here in dublin...

Oh the sweet, sweet irony