Page 1 of 8
So. As is made obvious by my title I am in fact blind. Wen I saw the "if you were blind how would you fap?" thread I got curious to see what other real or hypothetical questions you guys had about blindness, and believe it or not you'll actually get an answer, just not to that question.
To start off, I'll lay out some background info:
I was born legally, not totally blind. I can see light/dark (as in I can tell when the lights are on) and some shadows, which means I can be legally blind and chase people at the same time which is fun. I can see some extremely vague shades of color but not enough to be of any use. I read braille and use the computer through synthetic speech. The coolest part here is once you get used to it you can speed it up; I read at somewhere around 500 words per minute, which means I can read a book the day before we discuss it in class and multitask on the computer very easily. I use a cane, not a dog. I play guitar by ear. I ID people by voice. I had a curious corelation between music and sensation when I was young; sounds translated in to sensation and objects in some sort of weird way I don't completely comprehend. I enjoy joking about blindness as long as it's all in good fun I.E. going up to some girl and saying "you look beautiful but you also resemble the wall."
As for the rest, shoot.
Wen I saw the "if you were blind how would you fap?

No.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by ameer
Wen I saw the "if you were blind how would you fap?" thread .

I Lol'ed my pants a little when i read that.
Not to be rude or anything.
The part about the music and sensation corelation made me think of Tommy by The Who. Thats pretty cool all the things you can do about reading 444444 words a minute.

Oh and serious question: how will you read this? Does the computer read this to you?
Quote by spartan 118
No.

What? It looked the same as every other thread. As to getting raped, I'll let you know whenever I find out.
Quote by CaptainRon
What happens when you dream?

+1

Threadstarter, answer this one,
I'm curious.
do you have trouble picturing what people actually look like? I know you probably have the shape down, but isn't it hard to picture the color and detail?
Quote by CaptainRon
What happens when you dream?

Lots of odd things. Once I dreamed that I dove off of a rooftop in to a very large bathtub, turned it on, and then woke up before I could figure out why I was there in the first place. Another time I was running around my high school for some really important reason but it was like trying to run through water: very difficult.
Quote by greatone_12
do you have trouble picturing what people actually look like? I know you probably have the shape down, but isn't it hard to picture the color and detail?

People: head, body, limbs. Head:face, eyes, mouth, nose, possible hair, and various possible mods. I really don't care about much more than that.
Quote by ameer
Lots of odd things. Once I dreamed that I dove off of a rooftop in to a very large bathtub, turned it on, and then woke up before I could figure out why I was there in the first place. Another time I was running around my high school for some really important reason but it was like trying to run through water: very difficult.

So can you infact see in your dreams?
Quote by ameer
What? It looked the same as every other thread. As to getting raped, I'll let you know whenever I find out.

well then............

(Invalid img)
Quote by ameer

That happens to everyone.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by CaptainRon
So can you infact see in your dreams?

No. Because I have never seen before, I have no point of reference so I don't know what it feels like to see.
^^Look on the brightside: lots more mental processing power that can be devoted to analyzing input from other senses. Hard to quantify, but I'm convinced it's there.
How do you know where the line thingy is on the screen while your typing? Like do you ever quote someone and then accidently edit the quote with what you meant to say about the quote? And if someone makes a typo does your computer read it like it's supposed to be?
Colors are just very vague classifications of light/dark. Suppose your conception of color was a decimal number with 20 digits of accuracy after the decimalpoint. I just have the integer portion: a 2.4 and a 2.442 are both a 2 to me.
Quote by ameer
No. Because I have never seen before, I have no point of reference so I don't know what it feels like to see.

Wow, that's really fascinating!

I am completely intrigued by this. I suppose you could create images in your mind of what things look like by touch? for example, you can feel the contours and shape of a guitar, so can you mentally construct and image of what you think it might look like?

And if someone suggests to you that your shirt is purple, you cannot relate to that because you have no idea what purple really looks like? I find that really really interesting.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Quote by ameer
Colors are just very vague classifications of light/dark. Suppose your conception of color was a decimal number with 20 digits of accuracy after the decimalpoint. I just have the integer portion: a 2.4 and a 2.442 are both a 2 to me.

I had a D in math. But I think I get it.
Quote by Aussieloco
How do you know where the line thingy is on the screen while your typing? Like do you ever quote someone and then accidently edit the quote with what you meant to say about the quote? And if someone makes a typo does your computer read it like it's supposed to be?

The computer follows the cursor; when I ask it to read the current line it reads where the cursor is. As to typos, it's usually obvious when I misspell something; back in the day of really primitive speech synthesizers you could make it say some really weird things, but then they made them somewhat smarter.
Quote by Hot Pants

I am completely intrigued by this. I suppose you could create images in your mind of what things look like by touch? for example, you can feel the contours and shape of a guitar, so can you mentally construct and image of what you think it might look like?

And if someone suggests to you that your shirt is purple, you cannot relate to that because you have no idea what purple really looks like? I find that really really interesting.

I do too.

+1 for threadstarter.
So to type, you just talk into a microphone? THAT'S ****ING AWESOME.
Quote by ameer
The computer follows the cursor; when I ask it to read the current line it reads where the cursor is. As to typos, it's usually obvious when I misspell something; back in the day of really primitive speech synthesizers you could make it say some really weird things, but then they made them somewhat smarter.

Okay thats cool because I was thinking of it as microsoft sam lol
When you dream, what do you see? I've always had this theory that a blind person could see in their dreams, and could form ideas on what things might look like based off of their descriptions. Just never had the chance to ask anyone until now.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Were you born blind or did you lose sight after some time?

Are your senses of touch and hearing heightened? I've always found that touch gives me a definite sense of being alive and, while I wouldn't permanently trade any of my senses to heighten another, I've always wondered what it would be like to have to use one sense to do the job that another one typically does, such as when a blind person looks at someone through facial contact.
Quote by Hot Pants

It appears to me that the processing of shapes is completely independent of any one sense. If you obtain the dimensions and shape of an object your mind "draws" it for lack of a better term and you figure out whether or not it's a bottle, a guitar, or your next-door neighbor. If someone describes my shirt it's really empty information that I can't do too much with, aside from remembering whether or not to wear that shirt when they're around depending on how much they like it.
Quote by foob85
So to type, you just talk into a microphone? THAT'S ****ING AWESOME.

No, I just type on a regular keyboard; I've memorized the layout. It's a lot faster than speaking.
Do you ever feel like you're missing out on something? I mean, you've never seen anything in your life so you don't really know what it's like to see.
It's hard to phrase my question, but do you feel like your every day life is impaired or do you feel completely adapted?
I'm so confused right now. You're blind? How are you reading this?

Help me.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
wow..

i haven't a question to ask at the moment..

but i will definitely be checking in on this thread.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
Quote by TooFast

Help me.

read the thread...properly, now.
Quote by TooFast

Help me.

Lol

Did you read his first post? His computer reads it to him.