My band and I are recording a new song. I'm the one who is doing the actual recording, editing, and mixing. I also play rhythm guitar and sing in the band. The lead guitarist recorded his parts today, and as I'm beginning to mix, I'm noticing that he doesn't really seem like a good guitar player. When he plays rhythm parts in the verses and choruses, it seems out of time, and the palm muting stinks. His solo is decent, but it seems like he came up with a solo that he hasn't exactly mastered yet. He sort of bit off more than he could chew while writing the solo. Drums, bass, and my guitar were laid down and mixed a few days ago and it sounded pretty good. After the other guitarist put his parts down, the song just sounds like crap, granted I still to mix his parts better, but still. He is a very good friend too. Do I tell him to redo his parts better? Or do I just mix what we have and settle with a mediocre sound? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.
Explain him in all seriousness and gently.

It's not easy for a guitarist to hear that so yea, explain him correctly everything and redo it after everything's ok.
Just tell him you're trying to do what's best for the band
I have all I want and I'm not okay, I'm funny that way...
- Rob Heinrich
just say redo it it's out of time or whatever, if he can't hear it it's his problem maybe hes not a perfectionist but you don't want to ruin a song because you didn't want to cause an argument, that's just silly
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
re-do his parts without telling him, and continue to lie to his face

- j/k

no you need to tell him. play the raw track with a click track so he can hear what you mean, otherwise he could jump on ur back about **** editing skills.
Yeah, I'll tell him. I really can't do much editing with what we have now anyway. Thanks guys!
question TS. if he's your "lead" guitarist how come you havent really noticed he cant play that well? (before now that is)

altho i must admit its not till you playback yourself that you understand where you go wrong.

i think everyone should record what they play against a click track
It's complicated. He has no self-esteem so his guitar amp is never loud enough, so I can't really hear the mess-ups. We recorded before, but everything was crappy because it was rushed and we did a half-assed job. So I didn't really notice then either. Our band is pretty messed up. Our drummer doesn't understand meter and rhythm, our lead guitarist isn't all that great, our bassist is really a guitarist (and is trained in jazz therefore he is unbelievably amazing at guitar), and I can't sing. But somehow, when we play live, it all seems to work.
switch your lead guitarist and bassist around that sounds like the most logical plan.
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12