I generally play slower blues stuff. I can hardly stand extremely fast stuff. Like SRV, when he just does long fast runs, its annoying because it has hardly any feeling. Something sounding sad is different from feeling sad. Dont get me wrong, I can play fast (well not really fast but I do alright.)

So how does UG roll?
i mostly try an do alot of blues improv but im trying to learn some faster stuff.
Quote by H4t3BR33D3R
fourteen?
For Christ sake she probably couldn't get to the center of a Tootsie Pop let alone suck your **** properly. Just get someone your own age you tosser.
Did you just say SRV shreds????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I play melodic, I'm 15, and I play mostly old stuff, mixed with State Radio, random songs, Modest Mouse, and other various artists like Jack Johnson, RHCP, SOAD...........
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Melodic, most of my solo's have a bluesy vibe to them.
1982 Fender Bullet
2003 Epiphone SG
I prefer melodic shred. Its fast but in beat.

When I improv I keep in beat and solo in the modes and do "bursts" of shred.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
definitely melodic. It looks cool to shred, and i think guitarists respect shredders, but the public and people who try to put their soul and feelings into music usually prefer melodic. I wouldn't consider myself the public, but i try to put as much emotion in as i can. I don't know if people accept my opinion, but im sure as hell not telling off shredders

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
i usually enjoy more melodic stuff but im currently trying to get faster
Quote by due 07
I generally play slower blues stuff. I can hardly stand extremely fast stuff. Like SRV, when he just does long fast runs, its annoying because it has hardly any feeling. Something sounding sad is different from feeling sad. Dont get me wrong, I can play fast (well not really fast but I do alright.)

So how does UG roll?

Try out a song or two from Guthrie Govan. Your perception on feeling will drastically change.
whatever feels right for the song, I mean no blindingly fast 240bpm shred nor do I want to do that but I will play fast if it suits the mood or whatever
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
i shred without distortion.

sweep picking on an epi es-335 style -> fender blues jr . . .
melodic
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
The two are not mutually exclusive (unless you suck)
I miss Morbid, the metal forum sucks now
Both. Who says shred can't have feeling? Whether it's a rush of power, happiness, sadness, or it's in bursts in between melodies.
Listen to any solo album by Petrucci, Vai, Johnson or Satriani. Shred is just another technique in a guitarists playing. Saying it doesn't have soul is ignorant, because it helps accentuate other parts of the melody. You can't say listening to someone shred up to a crescendo isn't adding to the feeling of the song.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
when i'm playing metal i shred but i keep tht blues kinda feeling and then i like playing melodic for my more slower ****
I spend the majority of my time playing fast, I find it encompasses more of the 'feeling' that i like to hear.

At the risk of turning this into a fast v slow thread I'd like to add that just because it's not sad sounding/feeling doesn't mean it doesn't have ANY feeling. Most of the stuff I play conveys a sense of urgency or anger or angst or insanity or excitement...all of these things are feelings that everyone might stumble across. They're just not mellow feelings and thus melodic players dismiss them as noise...

That said, my band does use the power of musical dynamics in building tension through most of our songs via slow and fast parts and varying mode/scale/key use.

Feeling is in the eye of the creator and as such is not for anyone else to judge
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
i wish i could shred but i'll get there... i hope so i usually try to play fast but def like lots o feelin
I hate it when people think that playing fast = no feeling.
A song is made from a lot of things. It's like saying that a color in a painting has no feeling.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I love playing melodic blues/classic rock solos (partly cause i suck at shredding), and i like to speed it up a little sometimes, but with soul
"A musician should not be measured by the skill at which they perform, but the passion, and love for music with which they are playing."
I prefer music that is so fast, that it's finished before I can even hear it.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
im a scitzo so i play heavy **** and not heavy ****, anything rolls, but just cause its fast doesnt mean that theres no feeling to it
I do mostly blues stuff, but right now I'm so infatuated with my new guitar's low action (which somehow has no signs of fret buzz) I just do really fast pentatonic runs full of hammer ons and pull offs and general left hand work.

My favorite songs to play are my own renditions of the vocal melodies in 'I want you' and 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps' so you can figure out the way I play mostly.
Shred can actually be melodic at uber fast tempos if its really fluid and the main notes in the run stick out. Paul Gilbert proves this
Quote by due 07

So how does UG roll?

SRV..no emotion?

I beg you to give me the name of your crack dealer.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by due 07

So how does UG roll?

I'll have what he's having.
Well, I usually have atleast a few solos in any of my main bands songs and most of the time I have one insane, technical shred solo and the rest will all be fairly melodic, with little insanity involved. This is for the reason that I like to show off a bit, but I also know that I myself can't stand listening to someone shred on and on for a few minutes (or how ever long the song may be). It makes me lose intrest after awhile.