like... small small ones... 5-10 watts; which one do you guys recommend? micro cube, vox blah blah, etc.

mainly clean / rock distortion, not as much as metal needed
Micro Cube is actually really good and can hold its own against more expensive amps.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Quote by Steven E
just get a cheep one, brand names aint everything

you clearly dont know anything.

A microcube will sound a million times better than a no-name practice amp
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Have you considered a amp modeller thing and sticking that through headphones? I have a v-amp2 which I use because I play in the room next to my kids and it's a million times better than an amp wound down to a low volume.

Regards,

Mark
I would HIGHLY recomend this - Its the ONLY amp i have ever owned and i use it in my room.

Peavy 10 Watt
"Backstage" Amp

Trans Tube
Standard Imput
Headphones Imput
CD Input

Dials:

Overdrive
Master Volume
Eq High
Eq Low

I bought it brand new for £40
I just use a little Fender Frontman 15 watt amp, and it works pretty well, that or if you have a Mac, just run it through your computer and use Garage Band :-D
MIJ Jackson Kelly
Fender Frontman 15G
Quote by PuttYoh
anything to similar to the microcube that can compare?

The Microcubes are kind of in a class by themselves. That, the Peavey Bandit or maybe the new Vypyr if you can find one. Headphone jack seems like a good idea for a dorm. The little Vox DA5 has a headphone jack I believe. As do the Frontmans and the GDECs. I got my GDEC out the other night and was reminded of how portable and fun it can be.
Microcube. I have one, and love it. Amazing little amp.

other posssibilities:

Blackheart Killer Ant, if they EVER arrive.

Fender Champ 600 or Epiphone Valve JR.

Or, you could build your own 1/2 watt tube kit amp from Guytronix
For headphone playing I really like the Microcube, great tone.

But another good consideration is the Line6 Pocket Pod, as it comes with a heck of a lot of options.
what about a fender blues jr or pro jr?
nice little 15 watt tube amps. i suppose they might get a little loud, but you don't have to crank it all the way, either.
I tried the microcube , I didn't like the tone at all. when you compare it side by side with other amps like it ,you will hear the difference. I ended up getting a vox for practice
i vote valve jr. awesome meaty tone for rock and blows any practice solid state out of the water. throw a pedal or 2 in front of it, and you have a kick-ass rig.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by dernian
Have you considered a amp modeller thing and sticking that through headphones? I have a v-amp2 which I use because I play in the room next to my kids and it's a million times better than an amp wound down to a low volume.

Regards,

Mark

yea, this is wat i did for my dorm this year, except i got a boss ME-50. its perfect. it also gives u a ton of good effects for when u get a tube amp down the road (well, if thats wat your doing that is.)
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by PuttYoh
got a frontman 15w... not the greatest, but it will do for now...

probly a good plan
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
something you can plug headphones into, so you can practice when ever you want without getting beat up.
the fender frontman 15 cant compare in quality or in tone or features to the microcube.

if you want a battery option, many effects and usable tones, then try out the microcube.

the vox DA is also worth a try, but i like the cube better.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
pirate amplitube or some other amp modulating software. it's free. it's cheaper than a microcube or whatever.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
i run guitar rig 3 through my pc.......sounds awesome. wont disturb anyone, dont have to waste batteries......and awesome tone in general
and god i have the fender frontman 15w and it sounds godawful with any distortion. the cleans are fine.......but god, the distortion sounds like ****. i just cannot use it...ever
just thinking a bit...
how is the microcube vs 15X vs 20X cubes...

its 125, 100, and 175 dollars respectively... cube even more expensive than the 15X? does it sound better? etc?

what about vox? DA5 and pathfinder 15R
Frontman?
no, no, NO!

Do not settle for that.

Put in $60 more and get a Fender Vibro Champ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-VibroChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483069

Def. blows any Cube, Spider, or vox out of the water.
It has a 6v6 tube and 12ax7 preamp

I have the Super Champ XD, awesome amp.
Goes anywhere from cleans to metal.
Has some delay, chorus, spring reverb.

It's just pure win, perfect practice amp.

The VibroChamp in stores usually sells for $200
And the Super Champ is just like the Vibro Champ but +10 watts.
Quote by PuttYoh
just thinking a bit...
how is the microcube vs 15X vs 20X cubes...

its 125, 100, and 175 dollars respectively... cube even more expensive than the 15X? does it sound better? etc?

I have both a Microcube and a Cube 30x. They are very, very similar in tone. The 30x is louder with deeper lows and more presence. But for low-volume settings, like a dorm, the Micro would be the better choice. Most times when I'm using the 30x, I have the Power Squeezer on anyway to make it less loud.

Around the house, I use my Micro more than the 30x, if that tells you anything.
Quote by LesZao
Frontman?
no, no, NO!

Do not settle for that.

Put in $60 more and get a Fender Vibro Champ
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-VibroChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483069

Def. blows any Cube, Spider, or vox out of the water.
It has a 6v6 tube and 12ax7 preamp

I'll add my $0.02 about the Vibrochamp...

I ordered one from MF with my Strat. It arrived with a cracked case - it was split from front to back along the upper left corner. The case is incredibly poorly made - it's particle board with no corner or edge reinforcement whatsoever.

Before I returned it I did play it a bit - the internals were not damaged despite the cracked case. It sounded nice, but nothing special. I was expecting more from a tube amp, but since it's also a modeling amp, there has to be some digital circuitry in there which might kill some of the tube-ness.

I wasn't impressed. I replaced it with a Cube 30x, which I like better. Besides being sturdier and better-built, IMO the Cube's built-in amp models and effects sound better than the Vibro-Champ.

No disrespect intended, just another opinion.
My understanding was that the microcube was more metal oriented, and the Vox DA5, while comparable to the microcube, was more 'everything' oriented. They both have similar reviews on musician's friend.
Quote by fret-less
play it, and you'll bust a bavarian in you pants.
At one of my old schools, they bough a bunch of Microcubes, and they weren't half bad.
They keep a decent sound at low volumes...don't sound amazing when they're up load, but a cheap solid state rarely does.

-Jayke
Member of the Laney Cult
I think the Micro Cube has a switch to turn it into a 2watt amp, which is pretty good. The Vox AD30VT (maybe the AD15 too) has a power output knob, so you can play at 5watts when in a small room and lash it up to 30watts when you need it.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Quote by Brian_C
I think the Micro Cube has a switch to turn it into a 2watt amp, which is pretty good. The Vox AD30VT (maybe the AD15 too) has a power output knob, so you can play at 5watts when in a small room and lash it up to 30watts when you need it.

Actually, the Microcube does not have a switch to control wattage (nor does it need it). You're thinking of the larger Cubes like the 30x which have a "Power Squeezer" switch that cuts the the output wattage to reduce the volume while retaining the effects.
Get a VJ and mod i to 2 watts.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
Epiphone Valve Junior combo is cheap and has nice tone (though no tone knobs...)
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Quote by Ackj
Epiphone Valve Junior combo is cheap and has nice tone (though no tone knobs...)

You can get a Valve Special, that has tone controls and some (ungodly) effects built in.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here