aight so ive been playing guitar for a few years now and im gettin a bit better, right now im learning scales and some classical melodies to help with practice. whenever i try to shred it always kinda sounds the same cuz i dont really know what notes to hit so i kinda just do the same thing over and over. i wanna be able to shred sick but i have no idea what to hit. how do u experienced players do it?
we do theory for the rest of our lives. and when i worked in a guitar shop the "shred" guys would come in and shred the same scale over and over for like 1 hour, it drove me crazy, but this one time a guy came in and didnt do that and we gave him free strings cause hes awsome.
Shred on a different area of the neck.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Slowwwwww down. Get to know the neck more and develop a natural feel for where the notes are. Within a year or two, you should be able to trace the melodies that you create in your head on your guitar as you play. Then you can play faster and faster while hitting exactly what you want to hit.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Traditional method is to just compose something nice using your scales and some music theory to manipulate them the way you want, and then you just increase speed.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by frozen_soul
ok i might sound like a douchebag while saying this but what is theory

MC name = Bearrorism
Essentially? Learning to manipulate music to sound the way it needs to sound. It teaches you why certain things sound good and how to make things... catchy. That's about as simple as I can put it. There's much more to it obviously, but that's the part you need to be concerned with.

A quote from Wikipedia:

"Music theory encompasses the nature and mechanics of music. It often involves identifying patterns that govern composers' techniques. In a more detailed sense, music theory (in the western system) also distills and analyzes the elements of music – rhythm, harmony (harmonic function), melody, structure, and texture. People who study these properties are known as music theorists."

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music#Theory
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by frozen_soul

Theory is basically the science behind music. It's the quantification of how music works.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
A school for music or someone who teaches theory lessons?
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
hmmmm. if i went to a college could i take a music class without having it be my major? just as like a side thing. i dont really know how college works so throw me a bone here
Depends on the college. But if you want to actually be good at what you do, it will take years of study.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by frozen_soul

This dude expects to "shred" but doesn't know what theory is?

Society has failed us once again
Quote by Aussieloco
This dude expects to "shred" but doesn't know what theory is?

Society has failed us once again

hey asshole i was looking for ppl that could help me when i made this thread so just **** off
Just about any dolt can force themselfs to learn how to play music, but it takes someone gifted to be good at writing music.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by frozen_soul
hey asshole i was looking for ppl that could help me when i made this thread so just **** off

Oh thank you very much. I will cherish that comment forever so that people know I am truly an asshole that needs to **** off. In fact *sigged*
Start learning theory, the earlier you do the better you'll be. After that do what Xiaoxi said.
Quote by HardAttack
Just about any dolt can force themselfs to learn how to play music

Not really. You seem to be under the impression that composition is the utmost position in music...that's not really true. In reality, the duality between composition and performance is equal and mutually dependent. These "dolts" you refer to widely consist of expert interpreters. Performers do not merely play compositions, they interpret it through themselves and their instrumental abilities. Without this role, composers would have no real ground for composing in the first place.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by frozen_soul
ok where do i learn it?

www.youtube.com

Search for Walt Ribeiro

Just do it.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not really. You seem to be under the impression that composition is the utmost position in music...that's not really true. In reality, the duality between composition and performance is equal and mutually dependent. These "dolts" you refer to widely consist of expert interpreters. Performers do not merely play compositions, they interpret it through themselves and their instrumental abilities. Without this role, composers would have no real ground for composing in the first place.

I think you're reading a little bit too much into what I said. There's a huge difference between being able to play a song and being able to understand a song. What you're talking about is more about the latter of the two. If you sit most pre-teen or teenage kids in a room and they have the desire to play some songs on a guitar, chances are they can play the songs they learn. Whether or not it goes further than that is up to the persons aptitude and actual willingness to learn and understand music and why it is what it is.

Being able to play songs is very usefull yes, but my point is that there's a huge skill difference between learning Back in Black by AC/DC and learning how to compose something that's just as catchy but even more complex. If he wants to learn to shred, any music teacher could shove some tabs in front of him, have him practice for hours for several months and eventually he'd get it. To be a really good musician, you need to be go beyond that.

One of my favorite ways to work with not just music, but anything you learn; is that if you want to learn something well: test it, apply it and teach it. When you get to the last of those three things is when your understanding of any subject is really starting to be substancial.
mmmmmmhmmm

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Quote by HardAttack
I think you're reading a little bit too much into what I said. There's a huge difference between being able to play a song and being able to understand a song. What you're talking about is more about the latter of the two. If you sit most pre-teen or teenage kids in a room and they have the desire to play some songs on a guitar, chances are they can play the songs they learn. Whether or not it goes further than that is up to the persons aptitude and actual willingness to learn and understand music and why it is what it is.

Being able to play songs is very usefull yes, but my point is that there's a huge skill difference between learning Back in Black by AC/DC and learning how to compose something that's just as catchy but even more complex. If he wants to learn to shred, any music teacher could shove some tabs in front of him, have him practice for hours for several months and eventually he'd get it. To be a really good musician, you need to be go beyond that.

One of my favorite ways to work with not just music, but anything you learn; is that if you want to learn something well: test it, apply it and teach it. When you get to the last of those three things is when your understanding of any subject is really starting to be substancial.
I think that you're thinking in narrow terms. Musicians in the world obviously consist of much more than novice teenage guitar players. One who blindly plays music without considering its clockworks and intentions cannot be a musician in the first place. Otherwise, they'd naturally stumble onto these considerations. You're right, a good musician has to have skills beyond merely knowing the notes and executing them. He has to do it with an understanding of how it's meant to be played, and what he can contribute to that set of properties. However, this doesn't mean that it should be expected of every musician to be able to compose. The duty of interpretation is already of great and equal importance and requires substantial amount of musicianship.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana