Page 1 of 2
Hi Everyone,

I starting playing bass about 4-5 months ago and I've been playing a lot of alternative metal/hard rock (music that I'm familiar with), but now I want to expand my range of genres. I'm scared that I'll limit myself by only learning one style.

My dad suggested I learn some funk and put me onto Grand Funk Railroad but although I really enjoy that music, its still very close to the kind of rock I was already playing.

I know I probably should know the answer to this, but forgive my ignorance. Which band/artists should I look into to give me the full funk education?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
grand funk railroad is not funk.

Check out some Parliment Funkadelic, James Brown, or Sly and the Family Stone.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by civildp1
grand funk railroad is not funk.

Check out some Parliment Funkadelic, James Brown, or Sly and the Family Stone.

james brown is the godfather of SOUL
But he's funky as hell.

The Brothers Johnson lay it down solid. As do The Bamboos. The Budos Band aren't quite funk but they are also funky as hell. I can't really get around the vocals, but Stuart Zendor (spelling? whatever) lays the funk down in Jamiroquai. Also of interest: The Meters.
Quote by yomoma21

listen to a song like Gut Bucket, Sex Machine or anything from when Bootsy Collins was in his band and tell me it's not funk.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Listen to Larry Graham, Graham Central Station/Sly & The Family Stone.
Listen to Larry Graham, Graham Central Station/Sly & The Family Stone.

YEEEEH! Graham even slaps the G string xD Odd but he makes it work tough hehe.

Mmm... Funk, ide say first learn to slap/pop correctly Try some red hot chilli peppers songs (please don't impale me on this but he will need something to practice the slap/pop with =.=). But meh that's all i can think of atm >.<
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Last edited by Line6 at Aug 18, 2008,
For fingerstyle funk = Tower of Power. Rocco Prestia is a funk god (and a really nice person as well). He has a great DVD out there if you can find it.
You should still learn some Grand Funk. Holy ****, good band.
Quote by Ez0ph
That was a different Feb08er that threatened to suck you off
I remember that

Sadly, I was the threatened.
Quote by Firenze

Let it be known that I concur with everything this gentleman says, ever.

www.myspace.com/tarsusmusic
Quote by yomoma21
learn to slap and pop. victor wooten is a beast at this

Honestly, you are better of developing your fingerstyle chops. Slap and pop is less common than people think.
Quote by Tallman
Honestly, you are better of developing your fingerstyle chops. Slap and pop is less common than people think.

+1
Fingerstyle funk is way cooler
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by yomoma21

But bootsy is the god of funk, I mean, (Invalid img)

That's like the Scepter of Funk, only for a true king.

Yeah, learn some Bootsy
You might wanna check out some Jaco too, not funk but helpful, it'll help you groove. Also Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (Vic. Wooten's band) have some good stuff for some inspiration.
Tbh, a groovy bassline will fit into everything (even rock, depending on the setup) and unlike drumming, it's pretty much one-style-almost-fits-all-with-a-bit-of-tweaking, get some Jazz in ya, boy.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Insanity^2
But bootsy is the god of funk, I mean, (Invalid img)

That's like the Scepter of Funk, only for a true king.

Yeah, learn some Bootsy
You might wanna check out some Jaco too, not funk but helpful, it'll help you groove. Also Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (Vic. Wooten's band) have some good stuff for some inspiration.
Tbh, a groovy bassline will fit into everything (even rock, depending on the setup) and unlike drumming, it's pretty much one-style-almost-fits-all-with-a-bit-of-tweaking, get some Jazz in ya, boy.

Someday I plan to buy that Bass and have sex with it o.o
Quote by LittleKnowItAll
Someday I plan to buy that Bass and have sex with it o.o

how?
with the input jack?
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
A guy named Bootsy Collins meets James Brown. Have aural (get it?) sex. Baby=funk.

Listen to "Get Up (I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine" by James Brown and the JBs. If you don't consider that funky, you need to check your pulse, because you are dead. Certifiably gone to sing with the choirs in Valhalla, dead.
^^

But back on topic, I'm personally a fan of Larry Graham.
sorry, double post.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
Quote by thedonutman
I never knew Stanley had a "Rhythm" bassist as well as a guitarist.

I don't think he does, he's just playing with Will Lee on David Letterman.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

So does you
ill preach it to the high heavons. The Meters!!! The Meters!!! The Meters!!! they are probably one of, if not the funkiest bands that apparently no one knows off.
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
That was low. But that bass is badass. It definitely weilds the power to make you move!
Quote by Phishead42
ill preach it to the high heavons. The Meters!!! The Meters!!! The Meters!!! they are probably one of, if not the funkiest bands that apparently no one knows off.

I love the Meters. In fact I am seeing them play next month with Dr. John and The Nevilles.

I've played Sissy Strut and Tippi-Toes in the current band I'm in. Yes, I will concur they are quite funky.
Check out some Rose Royce (not Carwash Rose Royce but Put Your Money Where Your Mouth is Rose Royce), Fatback, Sun, the Counts, and one of the better new compilations, the soundtrack to Superbad (all 3 CD's).
The jazz student
All of the above are awesome examples.
i would also recommend learning some marcus miller for work on your slap chops...

rio funk comes to mind
Gear:

Ernie Ball/Musicman Stingray HH
Schecter Model T
GK 1001RB
2 GK 4X10 GLX
BP-50 Bass Effect Pedal
my funk inspiration came from watchinng the flea instructional videos....it is such a cool style of play
Nobody Mentioned the best metal/funk bassist of all time. Les Claypool(GOD).
^^^ there might be a good reason why. funk =/= slap
'85 Fender Reissue '75 Jazz Bass ---> Ashdown MAG300h
Schecter C/SH-1 ---> Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Page 1 of 2