Looking around UG forums and all, i have been wondering if it could be an option of getting a good tube amp that doesn't necessarily have great Drive\distortion channels and getting stomps (drive or preamp type pedals, not cheap SS sounding distortions) and still be able to achieve brutal gain.

Trivium,Pantera, Dream Theater,Killswitch would be the target tones but then i still need decent cleans obviously so id be looking at either Lanley\Crate\Traynor type cleaner amps with stomps or Peavey\Mesa\Carvin v3 ish gain amps. (open to suggestions)

Grated the price range is wide, i can spend 2000$ on this amp but i don't feel its necessary considering i do only small gigs in local metal bars and i do have to practice with a drummer who seems to like double bass too much as well as playing drums with morning-stars. So i would be looking for a combo more than a half stack, don't need 100w obviously...

Right now i use a small 20 W SS crap for practice and i used to borrow a neat ass 6505 Half stack for gigs but that won't be possible anymore. Loved the tone but its not cheap.

Sorry for the huge Text T.T
if u can spend $2000 and liked the 6505...why not just get that?
Well, Jesus Christ, I'm not scared to die,

I'm a little bit scared of what comes after

Do I get the gold chariot?

Do I float through the ceiling?
for that price and assuming youre getting your sound from pedals you could afford 2 fender hot rod deville with 4 10" seeakers a peice. very articulate even at high volume and with two you would have enough volume to make peoples eyes water and spontaneously poop themselves at will and at a smaller place just use one of em. plus theyre easy to carry around compared to a stack rig.
Quote by MichaelOfCanton
for that price and assuming youre getting your sound from pedals you could afford 2 fender hot rod deville with 4 10" seeakers a peice. very articulate even at high volume and with two you would have enough volume to make peoples eyes water and spontaneously poop themselves at will and at a smaller place just use one of em. plus theyre easy to carry around compared to a stack rig.

I fail to understand the logic of this idea.
If your looking for a small amp for metal the Peavey JSX can probably deliver tho and you wouldn't have to spend 2000 on it. I heard Carvin V3 are solid for cheaper i think.
As for stomps i tried a Vox amp with some OD once and it was odd.
50 watt Randall MTS combo. you can switch out the preamps for that exact sound you want. Vox chime? you can get it. Fender clean? you can get that too. Bogner hi gain? yessiree bob.

i tried them and they are exellent. my only quarrel is that they are more oriented towards the metal crowd. makes sense, since i've never seen a smoth jazz guitarist blast though a
Century 100.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Raiedisloquer
Looking around UG forums and all, i have been wondering if it could be an option of getting a good tube amp that doesn't necessarily have great Drive\distortion channels and getting stomps (drive or preamp type pedals, not cheap SS sounding distortions) and still be able to achieve brutal gain.

Trivium,Pantera, Dream Theater,Killswitch would be the target tones but then i still need decent cleans obviously so id be looking at either Lanley\Crate\Traynor type cleaner amps with stomps or Peavey\Mesa\Carvin v3 ish gain amps. (open to suggestions)

Grated the price range is wide, i can spend 2000$ on this amp but i don't feel its necessary considering i do only small gigs in local metal bars and i do have to practice with a drummer who seems to like double bass too much as well as playing drums with morning-stars. So i would be looking for a combo more than a half stack, don't need 100w obviously...

Right now i use a small 20 W SS crap for practice and i used to borrow a neat ass 6505 Half stack for gigs but that won't be possible anymore. Loved the tone but its not cheap.

Sorry for the huge Text T.T

First up low wattage tube metal amps arent cheap usually. I think your best option is the Carvin X100B combo that gives u the ability to switch from 25 watts to 50 watts to 100 watts and it has some kick ass gain and cleans. PLUS a built in graphic EQ Check it out dude. Another option is the Mesa boogie express 5:25 which can be used for amazing cleans crunch blues and metal with a good OD. I recommend this amp 100%
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Last edited by Slanderous666 at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by MichaelOfCanton

You realize this guy is playing METAL right?

dude, you can find a Peavey 5150 under 1k used... (its the same thing as the 6505)
I reccomend that... or if you want to sound BETTER
ENGL Screamer Combo
Hey thx a bunch for the posts! I'm guessing the better choice would be a good gain type amp. Has anyone compared a good distortion pedal thru a clean channel next to a Gain channel? (Does it compare? :P )

I know the splawn amps have a good reputation but they don't have combos i think and id be leaning allot more towards combos cause I'm the one hauling all my gear.

Thats also why i was wondering if the 6505 combo would be a good option if it sounds as good as the head.

Ill aslo take a look at those carvin X100B \ MTS
if you have that kind of money, i'd be looking at a high-gain tube amp. if you ask me, they sound better than any pedal i've tried for the br00tal stuff. not to mention, quite a few high gainers have pretty nice cleans too. that's the way i'd go, assuming high gain is the #1 priority.

EDIT: how about a head + 2x12 speaker cab? that could be easier to carry than a 2x12 combo.

EDIT #2: i've got an HBE big D, it's not really a metal pedal, but my engl sounds better for the br00tal stuff than that pedal.

of course, that's hardly scientific as i haven't tried every single good distortion pedal, but certainly based on that one, if you have the money, i'd go with a high gain amp every time.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by Dave_Mc
how about a head + 2x12 speaker cab? that could be easier to carry than a 2x12 combo.

Hey i didn't think about that... probably cause i never saw anything smaller than 4X speakers :P

Any specific cabs in mind ?
i'm not too well up on speaker cabs to be honest. but lots of companies make 2x12 speaker cabs... the thd, bogner etc. ones normally have a good reputation.

you just need to make sure the speakers are rated for a high enough wattage.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?