I just bought a used fender deluxe reverb and it has this horrible buzzing in the back ground. It didn't do that yesterday when i bought. I'm almost positive that it is the 6v6 power tubes or possible even the rectifier tube. plus one of the 6v6'sis lighting up blue now. I'm getting new power tubes and a rectifier tube but does anyone know if it might be something else? the buzzing is very metalic sounding. thanks.
yeah...
Quote by al112987
the blue glow is not uncommon.

What is it? Is it bad?
yeah...
Its actually completely normal operation. its just a byproduct of tube operation, it has to do with electron collision with phosphorous atoms or something like that.

I take it your tubes look like this?

Yeah, completely normal, the only thing you need to be concerned about is if your plates get red. Otherwise, blue glow is fine.
The plates are good, one tube glows and one doesn't. So what do I do know?
yeah...
Quote by thtngmng
Idoes anyone know if it might be something else? the buzzing is very metalic sounding.

Florescent lighting? Near a computer? Different things n your house can give any amp that sort of background noise. Try another outlet/room.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Florescent lighting? Near a computer? Different things n your house can give any amp that sort of background noise. Try another outlet/room.

This could be the case, electrical interference is common with tube amps. I have a "interference triangle" in my buddies garage, it's quite annoying.

Do any of the knobs effect the buzzing?
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Might be a problem with the reverb tank itself too. Does the buzzing change at all as you play with the reverb knob?
Seriously unlikely...

Move the amp around your house. Keep it and your guitar away, while playing, from CRTs, HDDs, Radios, fluorescent lighting, etc.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It turns out it was the rectifier tube. The clamps holding it in place were not tight enough so it ws rattling against the tube. Thanks for your help.
yeah...