Okay I've been looking for a amp to use solely for leads recently. I don't care about the clean channel, or how well it does rhythm; it just has to do lead extremely well. If I had to pick a song to base the sound I want off of it would be bucketheads lead tone in machete. The amp needs to be super smooth, and sustaining. It needs to be very articulate too, no mud to it what so ever. It has to be very dynamic as well. It has to respond very well to how I pick. It should be able to stay nice and smooth when I pick softly, but roughen up when I attack harder. To put it simply just listen to machete, and thats almost what I'm looking for. Tell me a amp that gets close to that, and then I can change it to more suit my needs.

So if you can I would really appreciate your help in finding something. If you are going to recommend an amp I would really appreciate it if you supplied a sound clip to go along with your recommendation. I hate it when someone tells me a amp does a certain tone, but then I can't find a clip where someone is dialing in that tone. So anyways sorry for that really long post, but I am very picky, and am dead set on getting this sound right. If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Oh yeah in case you didn't catch it in the title I have a unlimited budget for this.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Marshall plexi? Very dynamic, organic sounding overdrive, highly touch sensitive, no need for oversaturation, just a fat sounding sustain that is clean in nature with no fizz or buzz. Different options (jtm45, '66 spec, '67 spec, '68 spec) for different voicings.

Hold on, I'll find a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ae1P9w4Hw&feature=related

That is Metroamp's take on the '68 plexi. They play the same clip twice, once stock, once with the built in variac engaged for higher gain (the Van Halen setting). Goes for about $2500, built to order.

OR

Another option is Ceriatone's Dumble clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwW3ZbnI6Cw

Based on that Buckethead song, this might be better suited for you.

Or hell, if you have unlimited funds, get a REAL dumble. Or Trainwreck express. (Good luck finding one though, much less paying the $20k)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 18, 2008,
I'd say a Soldano SLO100.
Riffhog on here has one, I'm sure he could tell you all about it.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
Quote by al112987
Marshall plexi? Very dynamic, organic sounding overdrive, highly touch sensitive, no need for oversaturation, just a fat sounding sustain that is clean in nature with no fizz or buzz. Different options (jtm45, '66 spec, '67 spec, '68 spec) for different voicings.

Hold on, I'll find a clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ae1P9w4Hw&feature=related

That is Metroamp's take on the '68 plexi. They play the same clip twice, once stock, once with the built in variac engaged for higher gain (the Van Halen setting). Goes for about $2500, built to order.

OR

Another option is Ceriatone's Dumble clone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwW3ZbnI6Cw

Based on that Buckethead song, this might be better suited for you.

Or hell, if you have unlimited funds, get a REAL dumble. Or Trainwreck express. (Good luck finding one though, much less paying the $20k)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8

The ceriatone sounded ok. I just hated the way the guy was demoing the amp. I have good funds, but i want to stay reasonable ha. There is a lot of things I would rather do with 30k then buy a guitar amplifier lol.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
-Soldano SLO100
-Marshall Plexi
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Marshall Plexi
Marshall JCM 800
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Mesa Triple/Double/Single Rec?
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
When I think super smooth and creamy, I think Cornford. The voicing of his amps is very thick, chocolately and smooth. They are also extremely dynamic and sensitive to the guitar player.

A good amp for you would probably be the Cornford Hellcat or the Cornford MK50.

Expensive? Yes. Worth it? You bet!
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Mesa Triple/Double/Single Rec?

If the guy is looking for a lead only amp, you can do much better than a Mesa rec.
ah right SOOORRRRY
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by al112987
If the guy is looking for a lead only amp, you can do much better than a Mesa rec.

methinks mr. addicted to marshall may be leaning towards one side...
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Highwaytohell initiate
SPLAWN ADVERITISEMENT SEQUENCE!!!!

Because you say you don't care much for a rythym tone ... I reccomend a Splawn Pro-Stock

Its basically the Lead Channel of the Quickrod. Oodles of gain and sustain, punch, grit, and vibe... This thing sounds f*ckin awesome

Check some clips on the splawn website.
Quote by Highwaytohell
Highwaytohell initiate
SPLAWN ADVERITISEMENT SEQUENCE!!!!

Because you say you don't care much for a rythym tone ... I reccomend a Splawn Pro-Stock

Its basically the Lead Channel of the Quickrod. Oodles of gain and sustain, punch, grit, and vibe... This thing sounds f*ckin awesome

Check some clips on the splawn website.
Yeah I don't need a rhythm tone really. I've got my ENGL SE for that That splawn sounded pretty good. To the guy that suggested mesa, I've never really been a big fan of those amps. People always rave about the mark IV though so I might check one out.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Quote by frog_friend
Yeah I don't need a rhythm tone really. I've got my ENGL SE for that That splawn sounded pretty good. To the guy that suggested mesa, I've never really been a big fan of those amps. People always rave about the mark IV though so I might check one out.

I'd much rather use the SE's lead channel than any Mesa.
I don't know how you could want another lead amp, I've always thought the leads on the SE were superb, especially on the latest Necrophagist album.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
I don't know its just not what I am looking for in a lead channel. It doesn't smooth out well, and when I do get it smooth then it seems to loose some of its dynamics. It kills for rhythm though which is what I am going to use it for once I get another amp. I am really considering getting a bogner ecstasy now. I wanted to try and avoid it since they are so expensive, but I really like its tone. Looks like I am going to have to buy used if I go that route.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
Well my recommendation for a great load tone with a low budget, first I can't say exactly what amps because your tastes seam very decided, so I would look into Laneys, Mesa Mark IV (Great lead tone, why Petrucci uses it)/Mark II C+, or Splawn, honestly it doesn't sound like you want a Marshall plexi lead to me.
Live Rig:
Ibanez Rg 150R w/ Duncan 59s
Marshall JCM2000 TSL60 Head
Mark IV Combo
Marshall 1960a Cab w/ Vintage 30s
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige w/ Duncan 59s
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Currently in Ontario, Canada.

Yeah I've never been a big fan of marshalls, just not my thing. I will keep looking around at the mark IV.

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god