When playing harmonic chords such as the ones in Portrait of Tracy how exactly do I go about playing them with my plucking hand? The way Im practicing is Im basically just kind plucking the strings with my middle and ring fingers in an upward sweeping motion. Is this a good way of doing or should I practice it differently like a flamenco strum or something?
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
In the Modern Electric Bass video, I believe Jaco plucks the 2 harmonics with his index and middle finger the way you described, and plays the bass notes with his thumb.

Personally I just pull across the strings with my index finger. I find it easier to produce more pronounced notes that way.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_iMVKD8MNc

at around 2:30 it starts. I can't tell how he's doing it initially (his index finger does look pretty busy) but at 2:46 and 3:20 etc you can see the method I described.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Last edited by Gsaws at Aug 18, 2008,
sound like **** his harmonics

damn
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I play the Bass note with my Thumb and hit the harmonics pretty hard with my to fingers

Kind of like a Fingerstyle playing with Guitar

but its all about you feeling the most comfortable you can while playing them

so if you like the way you're doing them and go for it

And for everyone who is still a little unsure why some of their harmonics are coming out rich and fat and yummy Check you're EQ Boost some Mids they'd make them Sparkle like a pretty girls eye gleaming in the sun!
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
alright thanks :} and that video helped alot too.
Starting bass or just looking for a new one? Here's a suggestion: Go to your local music store and try some out.
Some parts of the song he uses a sweeping motion other times he uses a "claw" and plucks all the strings at the same time.

About the Jaco comment, that video was filmed quite late in his life... But that's a whole other very sad story.