Alright, so lately I've been listening to/learning a bunch of Linkin Park music. Nothing too challenging, but man some of it is just fun to play. Anyways, there are two songs that I had questions about. The first is this one, he uses some kind of weird tapping technique for the intro. Could someone explain it to me? You can see it pretty well at 8 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIJfrZ0kXVw

And in this song, I wanted to know how he plays the intro riff with only his right hand. It almost sounds like he's somehow doing harmonics, but I'm not really sure at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO_J2go_DEw
Second one is all legato. It's just slides, pull-offs and hammer-ons.

The first one looks like he's just tapping harder than normal, kinda looks like slapping a bit, but I'm unsure if he's doing anything special.
In the first video, he is basically hammering onto a note higher up on the fretboard, and releasing onto a lower note or an open.

In the second video, it seems to me to be a matter of effects. He plays the first note, and uses extra sustain to slide around the other notes. As for the harmonic-esque sound, that is also some kind of effect altough I couldn't tell you which of the top off my head.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Quote by Liberchaotica
In the first video, he is basically hammering onto a note higher up on the fretboard, and releasing onto a lower note or an open.

In the second video, it seems to me to be a matter of effects. He plays the first note, and uses extra sustain to slide around the other notes. As for the harmonic-esque sound, that is also some kind of effect altough I couldn't tell you which of the top off my head.

So, for the second one, how would I get that much sustain? Just crank the gain up super high?
Quote by souperman08
So, for the second one, how would I get that much sustain? Just crank the gain up super high?

That's the easiest way, yea
You can also buy effects boxes that give you massive sustain.
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

Hmmm. What is that effect called? Or what kind of stomp box should I look for if I wanted that........
Well, I haven't personally used one so I don't know any specific models. I would recommend going into your local guitar shop and asking. They could give you far more advice than I could
Quote by Gummy Balls

the sustain sounds like it comes mostly from a nice distortion, high enough volume to get a little feedback, and possibly a tremolo pedal. if you're playing loud enough, you'll be amazed at the amount of sustain you can get with even a little distortion.