Hey so I was wondering how to get the best sludge rock tone on a guitar because thats how I am going to buy my first guitar/amp because this is the only kind of stuff I would like to play on guitar.

What guitars are the best for this?
What amps sound the best?
What settings on the amp sound the best?

If you don't know what sludge rock sounds like, listen to Kyuss, Queens of the Stone Age, Pelican, Priestess, Spiritu, Clutch, and Sleep for an idea.

Thank you!
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
guitars:
generally I see see mahagony bodied guitars. With humbuckers.
or P90s sometimes

amps: Ampegs, Sunns, Marshalls, Mesas.....
really just get yourself a really loud tube amp

and just go buy yourself an Electroharmonix Big Muff pedal and it'll turn whatever you throw at it into instant doom metal (or if you're more committed amass an entire army of different fuzz pedals)
Turn up the bass
I believe QOTSA use bass amps instead of guitar amps for their sound...
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Basically any humbucker equipped guitar and a British voiced tube amp running to overdrive.

Josh Homme from QOTSA and Kyuss uses Ampeg SVT bass amps for his main sound with an old Ovation electric.

Clutch, I think, are mainly Les Paul + Marshall guys so a JCM or something would probably do the job nicely.

Sleep mostly used a Matamp "Green" amp but you'd have to look hard to get one of those.

In terms of EQ you'll want a lot of bass and mids with not a huge amount of treble, just enough to give you playing some definition rather than have it sound like a huge mush.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
oooh yeah, forgot about those
Orange and Matamp are also great

edit: Homme is only on the SVT cabs, using bass cabinets instead of guitar cabinets. I think his head is something else, some kind of guitar amp Ampeg made in the 70s. Even Zakk Wylde was once using Ampeg heads in his setup.

and again, fuzz pedals are good
Last edited by seljer at Aug 18, 2008,
you should preferably tune down to C or below too
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
you should preferably tune down to C or below too

Not really, most Clutch stuff isn't tuned below drop D as far as I know.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.