Hey i had an idea last night for my next project. I have seen people mount effects pedals into their guitars and stuff.
Seems ok... Now i was looking at buying the Micro Cube, removing the circuit boards and stick them inside my guitar.

After a bit of rewiring i would hook it up to a switch so it could be switched from the regular guitar output (Plug into amp) to the output of the microcube (The headphone out, output jack)... Obviously the speaker would be removed.

The micro cube has pretty decent sound quality and it seems useful for recording and stuff. I would use it heaps.

Good idea? Bad idea? Would you Buy/Use it? Suggestions?
Sounds like a useful idea. I think it'd be quite cool to wack a Micro Cube into a guitar so that wherever you are, you've got an amp on board. You'll have you find a way to power the bad boy obviously, but once you've got that sorted, could be a great project.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Sounds like a useful idea. I think it'd be quite cool to wack a Micro Cube into a guitar so that wherever you are, you've got an amp on board. You'll have you find a way to power the bad boy obviously, but once you've got that sorted, could be a great project.

It can run of batteries right? If not there are many other mini amps like it (although IMO inferior) that DO run on batteries.

Anyone got any suggestions on what guitar to use? I want at least a semi-decent one so that it still has some use without the micro cube. A MIM fender?
I like the idea of being able to plug my headphones into a guitar and be able to get the sound out
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by Scrubs
I like the idea of being able to plug my headphones into a guitar and be able to get the sound out

I suppose i could also make a little "Cab" so you can use the micro cube as a regular amp.
IDK if the Cube has a battery power option, but if not, the current draw will be rediculously high for a battery. My RP-7 Valve runs on 9v, but it's current draw is almost 1.5 amps (prolly 'cause of the tube). A battery in it would prolly last all of 45 seconds, so it has a power supply. I say this to give you a comparison.

Look on the back of the Cube and it should say the current draw. If it's anywhere near, say, 500mA (half-amp), it'll eat batteries like candy.

Like I said, though: I don't know much about that amp.
Quote by Invader Jim
IDK if the Cube has a battery power option, but if not, the current draw will be rediculously high for a battery. My RP-7 Valve runs on 9v, but it's current draw is almost 1.5 amps (prolly 'cause of the tube). A battery in it would prolly last all of 45 seconds, so it has a power supply. I say this to give you a comparison.

Look on the back of the Cube and it should say the current draw. If it's anywhere near, say, 500mA (half-amp), it'll eat batteries like candy.

Like I said, though: I don't know much about that amp.

Well one of the mini amps (it might be the Vox one...) Runs off batteries. Thats the one im going to use...
ive seen a guitar from sam ash with build in amp. good idea but not just fancy making it semi acoustic?!?
Quote by Invader Jim
Ok. Just saying though.

Yeah. Thanks. Its just that having to plug it into the wall defeats the purpose of making it a travel guitar
Quote by Invader Jim
Yeah. You could just make a Little Gem or Ruby fro mrunoffgroove.com. From what I hear, they don't sound bad. And they're very compact and easy to build.

Yeah i made a little gem (or was it a ruby...) And i want to impressed with it. It wasnt bad but i would like it to sound better than that (especially for recording)
the micro cube can run on batteries....but its probably too big to go in any guitar.

go with one of those 30 dollar vox mini amps or a ruby/little gem
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Lol, you sound like me. Here's a link to my build thread , I'm building a guitar with a built in amp. The plan is to use a Little Gem amp. I've been playing through a Little Gem a bit, and I'm still impressed by it, and it's not difficult at all to build. It's not difficult to mount an amp in a guitar. The biggest problem I had was finding a speaker thin enough to fit inside the guitar. I'm still using one that's too deep for the body, but i don't mind. It would be extremely easy to integrate an existing mini amp into a guitar, if it uses batteries and you don't include the speaker.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Last edited by DuctTapeNinja at Aug 18, 2008,
I can't remember the guitar company or the model of the guitar, but they made Explorer copies back in the 80's that had an onboard amp like what you're talking about. The bodies were made of particle board (Seriously) and didn't hold up too well, but it was a good idea. You can still find some on Ebay once in awhile by searching for Explorers
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]