Like quite a few people, I HATE them. But I want to build up speed (having read that people on where who have been playing half as long as me can play twice as fast as me), and inevitably, I will need to use one. But what can I DO? I mean, if I say I want to build up my speed picking, what do I play? Do I just play a load of licks which have fast picking in them? I always thought that doing that just increases your ability to play those licks, not my overall speed picking in general.
Also, when should I raise the tempo? When I can play it once? Twice? In my sleep? Eyes closed? Help me!!!!

Thanks,

SMAiTY
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
sure you can pick fast without one

but practising with the metronome you're doing it all neat and tidy on time

play it reasonably slow first, almost very slow
then raise it up a notch
then again
then again
then if you start making mistakes go back

its to train your muscle memory
accuracy through repetition and vice versa.

all the repetition in the world isn't worth anything if you're not doing it accurately hence the need for starting out slow
Ok thanks, but what should I play? Just a load of different licks and exercises?
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
i generally do scales practice it really slow 60, every time up and back increase by ten
every time i fail decrease by five, fail 3 times in a row and keep that number, see if i can beat it next time
Thats good, thanks Martindecorum... What results have you got? Has your overall speed increased or is it just your speed of those scales that have increased? This is where I am stuck.
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Practice the scales that you favorite music is based around

Practice chromatic runs

Create some runs of your own

Piece them all together once you can do each one to a speed you like and then you can work on creating the full package
Thanks everyone, yeah can u tab them please? If its not too much trouble...
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Martindecorum, I would be happy to get those tabs too (:
post them here,
thanks.
Hey guys, this is just a few, if u want more ill do some later
but i basically covered

Speed
Finger Control
Accuracy
and other techniques

http://www.sendspace.com/file/f0csce Thats A Guitar Pro File

let me know if this is helpful

now remember start them off slowly increase tempo by ten once failed slow down
this is just some excessive not actual big lick practices or anything like that but i can do some

Edit

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nt9u14 PDF file there
Last edited by Martindecorum at Aug 18, 2008,
Wow, looks great thanks! So you just practiced these to a metronome and gradually increased the speed? Cool.
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
yeah and like i said if u want more HARDER excersies ill pitch in for u but there is a huge variety in that

u can also tinker them around with different placements on the fret board
Last edited by Martindecorum at Aug 18, 2008,
Hey thanks, the second one helped, (and I don't have Guitar Pro), but my main probem isn't how to physically work the metronome, its what to play. But still it did help!
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Hey thanks, the second one helped, (and I don't have Guitar Pro), but my main probem isn't how to physically work the metronome, its what to play. But still it did help!
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Quote by Martindecorum
well over all speed has become Very good

Similarly I've started practicing with a click track as most people advice as the "quickest" (in relative terms). I've see some surprising improvements in terms of accuracy and speed, but I've kind hit a brick wall at 110 bmp, I can't go any faster without losing accuracy. What's the best way around this.

This other thing I was curious about is, does your increased speed apply across your playing or mainly for licks, scale etc that you usually practice on?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
All these answers are good advice, but everybody practices a little differently I think. I like to do scales, and go over them picking differently. Like going through it with all downpicking one day on a certain tempo until I'm comfortable. Then the next day I'll do it alternate picking at a certain tempo until it's comfortable. I'll just do the scale in different possitions and different picking styles, and raise the tempo whenever I feel I need to. It helps me work on a little bit of everything rather then one thing at a time. I do the same thing with sweeping excersizes and certain licks as well. I starting do that about 6 months ago, and although I seam a tad bit slower then I was before, I deffinatly have a cleaner style and I feel alot more comfortable. Just try not to over practice, because it seams like it can cause people to decrease.

That's just the way I prefer to do it. If you want, go to the 'Lessons' link on top the page and see what scales are on there. Maybe start out with a few of those to get use to the idea of using the metronome, and then just go from there.

Good luck.
Quote by ragingkitty
Similarly I've started practicing with a click track as most people advice as the "quickest" (in relative terms). I've see some surprising improvements in terms of accuracy and speed, but I've kind hit a brick wall at 110 bmp, I can't go any faster without losing accuracy. What's the best way around this.

This other thing I was curious about is, does your increased speed apply across your playing or mainly for licks, scale etc that you usually practice on?

its speed for GENERAL use basically ive felt everything increase in tempo and have become used to different things

but if ur finding ur self become inaccurate or sloppy just take a break,

then test urself later on

but seriously its all about being patient when it comes to gaining speed but once u do its generally for all areas of music as u start to get a nact for it