http://www.placidaudio.com/

I've heard of the company and their product, I've also heard of something very similar, but different of course. Placing a guitar pickup in a copper tube/pipe of about 6-9 inches in length and wiring it to be used as a mic.

I got the idea from another rumor about Maynard using a copperphone for his lo-fi am radio vocals such as on the song Stinkfist. Our bands vocalist wants one for a similar purpose.

I have a few questions and I figured GG&A would be the best thread as it is slightly guitar related and it is about building something, both of which you guys know exceedingly well.

Would a guitar pickup in a tube make a suitable vocal mic? I see it as a singer would cause the tube to vibrate, if its on a metal stand, and that has the potential to run metal vibrations through the pickup thus causing sound. I don't see it providing clear vocals, or even words, possibly just vibrations causing noise. Any opinions and ideas concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

As far as wiring goes, I would expect to run the pickup to a standard guitar input jack, then to a 1/4 to XLR adaptor. Would that provide enough power to actually hear anything from it?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
dynamics mics have a fixed magnet and a moving coil

and I'd say a guitar pickup (and even its just the coil) is probably way too heavy

and most dynamic mics have pretty low output impedance, again something guitar pickups don't have

if you ever tried you have to more or less scream into the pickup to get a sound to come out of your amp

edit: http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/images/mic-dynamic.gif
Last edited by seljer at Aug 18, 2008,
I made an electric Tin Can by putting a humbucker in a tin can, and i could talk into it and people could actually tell what i was saying. So it should work.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
thats cool man, Adam Jones used one of those on one of his guitar amps. as for maynard's lofi am radio style vocals he uses a megaphone
Quote by Stratmaster458
thats cool man, Adam Jones used one of those on one of his guitar amps. as for maynard's lofi am radio style vocals he uses a megaphone

He uses the megaphone live to accentuate parts of songs, a custom built copperphone for the studio. It's actually a very popular technique, so it's not quite as original as one would think.

I'm glad to hear this actually works though. Thanks guys!

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
oh I really want one of those...
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
call me lazy
but just record it normally and EQ out everything under 1.5khz and over 3khz and call it a day? go find some kind of tape distortion VST plugin if you want some more grit to it
Quote by time_for_food
Are these the same as pipebomb mics?

Yeah, except a Copperphone uses mic guts while a pipebomb uses a pickup.

Maynard does use the pipebomb.

My apologies everyone!

What happened was someone told me about it, and called it a pipebomb mic, so i searched for it on google, the only hits were on actual pipe bombs so I started searching pipe microphones and eventually like brass pipe and copper pipe and copperphones came up and I figured they were the actual name.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
How specifically are you going to go about mounting the pup inside? I already use an ibanez lofi pedal for those types of sounds, but I have some cheap pups lying around and I'd really like to piece together one of these.

I'm not sure yet, I'm going to try it on a few soup cans, mounting it on the side, bottom, then mounting it with a plate holding it in the middle, then probably flip the humbucker around in the same positions; just to see if it works better with the pickup touching the can. Then I'll order some actual pipe, a switch, XLR to 1/4 adaptor or something.

Quote by seljer
call me lazy
but just record it normally and EQ out everything under 1.5khz and over 3khz and call it a day? go find some kind of tape distortion VST plugin if you want some more grit to it

We're going for a live usage kind of deal. Although an EQ pedal and the Ibanez LoFi might be a better option given that this doesn't work out.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
so i searched for it on google, the only hits were on actual pipe bombs

the men in black helicopters would like to have a word with you
You could probably achieve a similar effect by making a rudementary mic from scratch - all you need is a magnet and a coil, and one or the other vibrates with sound and you get a small output across the coil.

I saw this guy in a pub band once talk into his guitar pickups, but the pickup has to be fairly badly potted I think. It probably has more to do with a badly potted pickup than the pipe vibrating like a string.
Quote by MESAexplorer

We're going for a live usage kind of deal. Although an EQ pedal and the Ibanez LoFi might be a better option given that this doesn't work out.

That pedal really is great, and cheaper than the harmonica mics a lot of people buy for the same effect. You get independent control of high pass and low pass filters, and distortion, plus a voicing/level switch to go between guitar(and bass), drums, and vocals. Mine has just been on the fritz lately with the on/off switch only working intermitantly

Plus it'd be fun to just have another mic to take care of this.
Quote by jimRH7
You could probably achieve a similar effect by making a rudementary mic from scratch - all you need is a magnet and a coil, and one or the other vibrates with sound and you get a small output across the coil.

I saw this guy in a pub band once talk into his guitar pickups, but the pickup has to be fairly badly potted I think. It probably has more to do with a badly potted pickup than the pipe vibrating like a string.

Yeah, I seen something about building a mic with piezo, can't remember exactly what it was, but it was just the piezo thing glued to the bottom of a can with some wires going to a 1/8 output.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I think you can also wire any speaker as if it's a mic and get a sound out of it. I have a pal doing sound engineering Who said they covered it in class.

the reason it woks is because a speaker is, in princible, the same as a microphone - it has a diaphram, a magnet and a coil. the difference is in a speaker electricity goes through the coil and makes it move - In a mic the movement makes an electrical signal.
...I wouldn't advise trying to use a mic as a speaker though!

You can do a similar thing with electric motors - spin them by hand and they produce a voltage, because they're basically the opposite of a dynamo. I don't know if you've done that one in school, I think that's where I learnt it...
Last edited by jimRH7 at Aug 22, 2008,
Quote by seljer
call me lazy

My thoughts exactly. I never understood why people bothered using megaphones on stage when a simple EQ pedal can do the same in a more controlled way.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Invader Jim
So has this thing actually been built yet?

Unfortunately no. I'm not building it for myself, but our bands vocalist who unfortunately is low on money right now and we've not gotten around to finding a 2.75'' copper or bronze tube. And myself, I'm living about an hour away at the college. I'll complete it probably next weekend or so. If not then, during thanksgiving break.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio