I've heard that some guitarists (like Slash) switch between major and minor pentatonic in their solos. For example, in VR's cover of Can't Get It Out Of My Head (originally be ELO) Slash switches between D major pentatonic and D minor pentatonic in his solo, to add 'colour' to it. I was wondering how to do this? Obviously I know the scales, but I'm unsure on when to change, and over waht backing. It would make sense to change on a note and over a chord that appera in both scales, but 'm struggling to incorporate that into a real good solo. All my attempts so far sound rubbish.

Thanks,

SMAiTY
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
well your best bet is to sit down and try...

I tend to play a mixture of major / minor. But I dont really go off scales... best bet is to just sit and try to hear what sounds good to you take common notes from both scales i.e in A you have A / E also the difference is only semitones so try hammering on / small bends to change between playing in major / minor.

Dunno if what I wrote is complete bs but I just play between them try not to think of them as scales...

Hope that helps a lil...
Last edited by johntb at Aug 18, 2008,
Well, as long as you're just playing Powerchords in the background, it should be no porblem to switch between minor and major. Powerchords are the root and the 5th, so they are not minor or major.
It's like you said: The most common way to switch over would be over a chord which appears in both scales.
But be careful you can't really play over an D Major chord with an D Minor scale. The chords have to be switched in most times...

...I think....

..Or not?....

..I'm confused...

...oh right, the one above me is correct...
Quote by smaity
I've heard that some guitarists (like Slash) switch between major and minor pentatonic in their solos. For example, in VR's cover of Can't Get It Out Of My Head (originally be ELO) Slash switches between D major pentatonic and D minor pentatonic in his solo, to add 'colour' to it. I was wondering how to do this? Obviously I know the scales, but I'm unsure on when to change, and over waht backing. It would make sense to change on a note and over a chord that appera in both scales, but 'm struggling to incorporate that into a real good solo. All my attempts so far sound rubbish.

Thanks,

SMAiTY

It depends on the chords you're playing over. If the chords are just power chords then you can play any key over it that has that note in it.
Inhuman evil take down!
Great, thanks all. . .
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Quote by smaity

Thanks,

SMAiTY

Basically, anytime you can use the mixolydian mode, you can use that root's pentatonic major and minor.

Thats how I remember it
well it needs to be a major key. if you do it in minor it will sound crappy. and whoever said that you can do it as long as its power chords, thats false. the key still needs to be a major key.

the reason you can switch is because using the minor gives that bluesy sound. because in blues you often have a major progression and you normally play the minor pentatonic over that. but blues players also add in some major notes as well. how do you know when to do this? i think its about just having the experience. i used to wonder the same thing but i just jumped into it. eventually i figured out some ways to go about changing between the two. you really have to know the scales well. i usually just think of it as playing with the dorian mode. when you take the minor pentatonic and mix it with the major, you have the dorian. so i just starting thinking of it that way and it bacame easier to play through them both. and then later i could switch to either one or the other, or play them both together.
Ok thanks Blind!
Quote by PapaSchumpf

Rate my songs... Here
Switching between those scales is pretty cool. From minor to major I usually use the major third, bent or hammered, just use it, and the same thing for the major sixth which creates a Dorian feel. From major to minor I usually the flat 7th, which is implies a Mixolydian feel. I hear a lot of players using similar ideas in songs, like Angus Young and Adrian Smith.