So I've been playing the guitar a while now, but lately I've been experiencing sore joints in my wrists and fingers and sometimes shooting pains, usually in my pinky, as I play. I doubt my technique is causing this as I've never previously encountered any issues, but my mum and sister both have arthritis and my mum's mum also had it so I may be getting arthritis (I have experienced it a few days myself previously). I don't want this to prevent my playing however, Tony Iommi didn't let his severed fingers stop him, so I want to continue with my playing, although if the problem persists over the next week or so I may book an appointment with my doctor. I wouldn't say I've been playing excessively, around 4-5 hours in an average day, although I will decrease this over the next week to see if it is the root of the problem, but the weird thing is these symptoms are occurring in my right hand too, the one in which I pick with.

What I'd like to know is if anyone else is experiencing what I'm describing to you, and if anyone knows any basic warmups I can do with my fingers, or other resolutions, which will numb the pain. When I say warmups, I don't mean scales and the likes, but activities that will help such as massages and the likes. And when I say numb the pain I don't mean I want drug recommendations .

Cheers, UG
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R

LOL! for someone with sore fingers you sure type alot.

i don't think this'lk help but o well...i personaly play the intro to 'sweet child o mine' first to get my left hand/ fingers moving because its not too hard but the way i play it i end up moving all my fingers on that hand.
after that i often play the intro to 'smells like teen spirit' as the bit inbetween the chords with the palm muting is quite fast.

OR you could try typing something like your name out a couple of times on word or something (you could even try typing it out 50 times and timing yourself then trying to beet your own record, have a little compatition)
Quote by toasted7887
LOL! for someone with sore fingers you sure type alot.

Hah, I have a graphics tab so I can just write down what I want to type and it recognises my handwriting. And I am a very quick writer. Maybe that's the source of the problem...

Thanks for the ideas, I'll give em a go
Quote by tubetime86

Nothing compliments a Gibson Les Paul Custom quite like a Fender Frontman 15R