So here’s the thing, I’ve recently sold off a load of old gear to free up some cash. I’ve decided I want to put that money toward a semi-hollow guitar primarily for jazz, which is a style I really want to explore more of.

However, having now sold off all my other electrics, this guitar will also need to act as a backup for my strat at gigs. My band play mostly funk and bits and pieces of ska. It’d also be cool if it could handle a bit of rock.

So I found plenty of versatile semi-hollows, but when I went Dolphin Music in Liverpool to try some out, I realized I really hate the massive bodies most semi-hollows have. They’re just too bulky and I can’t carry those things around as backups at gigs.

So… I seem to be left with these two options (unless someone has a suggestion)…

Ibanez AJD91C at £350
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow at £500

The PRS seems to be a quality instrument, and although I didn’t play it, I know from past PRS experience that I’ll love it. The Ibanez ADJ, I played and really liked. The only thing I might like to do with it is add some locking tuners and replace the pickups. But there are no reviews of this model, so I’m not entirely sure - some of the parts didn’t seem to be of great quality.

Basically, what I want to know is, should I spend less on the Ibanez and then mod it or should I go for the PRS, which seems to be of overall, better quality?

*** Also, how difficult would it be to get locking tuners put on the PRS?
Don't assume the PRS will be better if you haven't played it. In my experience with full-bodies, ibanez mid-range guitars are a huge step up from PRS ones, not sure how this would translate into semi-hollows though.

As alternatives, I'd recommend this:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/hoefner_hct_club_bk_contempoary.htm

Or look for a second hand rickenbacker, although that won't be as good for jazz
http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/manta_ray_hb.html
i own one of these puppies. Reverend manta ray. Quite simply the most versatile guitar i've ever played, and inexpensive.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
The manta ray seems alright, but they seem to sound edgier than I'd like. I'm also in the UK so I don't think I'd be able to get hold of one.

Tried that Hofner (or a very similar model) and although it was very nice, I think I prefered the neck profile and feel of the Ibanez AJD.

Edit - A couple of hours ago, a friend brought over an Ibanez AWD102NT which I think I like even more. Click for the link - does that seem superior to the others I've looked at?