Poll: What would you use to describe yourself?
Poll Options
View poll results: What would you use to describe yourself?
Nationality
13 12%
Race
1 1%
Musical Preference
39 36%
Career/Job
7 6%
Hobby
23 21%
Social Group
6 6%
Other
18 17%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
I know, I know, we are all individuals. Everybody knows that. My question to you is which one of these categories, well, defines you the best. Which one do you see yourself as? For example, if you introduced yourself to someone online and wanted to describe who you were, which one of these things would you use first in that description? Sorry if this is complicated, I'll try to explain as I go on!

Nationality
(I'm American, I'm British etc)

Race
(I'm white, I'm black etc)

Musical preference
(I'm a metalhead, I'm a punk etc)

Career/Job
(I'm an architect, I'm a musician etc)

Hobby
(I'm a guitarist, I'm a painter etc)

Social group
(I'm popular, I'm a nerd etc)

Other
(Please elaborate)

This is all out of curiosity. I bet I missed out on a few categories, but I'm just interested in this. I know everyone wants to be an individual, but what would you call yourself if you HAD to choose one thing to sum up your whole personality? If your whole identity was going to be determined by one of these things, what would best describe who you are, or to be more specific, what would YOU choose to describe yourself?
I hope this is kinda clear. I'd probably go by musical preference by the way, since me being into metal covers a lot of who I am. Good luck with this, it's not easy!
I've had Alzheimer's Disease for as long as I can remember.

Quote by damian_91
Pleasure2kill, you are a genius!
Nationality and Race
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Probably gender or musical preferences, I don't think race (in the sense you have used it) is important.

Also, shouldn't race and nationality come under one thing?
Musical Preference
Everyone stereotypes me because of the long hair and band tees
ohai little sig.
hobbies and musical preference
Quote by angus is god
maybe she passed out in the bathroom. You should have found her then had one of your friends yell "FINISH HER!" like from mortal combat and then jizz on her
as if any of these defines who you are
its things like how you learn and how you treat people
and your morals and stuff
and things like being yourself
you know
things way deeper than musical preference or nationality
I was born and raised in Canada, I'm the most whitewashed person with a south Asian / part Ethiopian/English/Persian background there is.

My music and my music taste has much importance to me, because it is centering my entire life. but I usually describe the everyday things that I do, the things I value. Which traces back to arts.
Definitely musical preference. That I listen to almost only grunge music defines me the most out of those choices. And I usually wanna clear the air early by saying Alice in chains is my favourite band. A person who hates grunge, seattle or god forbid alice I cant like.
If any of those define you, you're an elitist prick. All that should define you is your actions.

Spooni's got it.
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
you know

but i guess the TS was talking about 'what defines you MOST'. you gotta have at least one of those that stand out over the others, wouldn't you? (or maybe it is just me)

Quote by merfsullivan
If any of those define you, you're an elitist prick. All that should define you is your actions.

Spooni's got it.

ohh okay then. i am on the wrong side
Last edited by batiboy06 at Aug 18, 2008,
Nationality..

How come musical preference has so many?

*meets someone new*
"Hi, I'm a metalhead"
'kbai'

Same with Social Group.

"Hi, I'm popular"
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
col·in Audio Help [kol-in] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
any of several American quails, esp. the bobwhite.
[Origin: 1620–30; < MexSp colín, perh. < Nahuatl zōlin, through misreading of the older sp. çolin]

dictionary.com defines me...
Nationality: im australian

Race: im white

Musical preference: i like all music but like metal most

Career/Job: im a musician

Hobby: im a guitarist and vocalist

Social group: im just a quiet, easy going guy
Quote by Sasms
tape a chainsaw to your dick then give all of them anal

Quote by Trefellin

Make a pipe bomb and detonate it in your face. Then, persuade one of the ER doctors to leave some of the shrapnel in.
Quote by batiboy06
but i guess the TS was talking about 'what defines you MOST'. you gotta have at least one of those that stand out over the others, wouldn't you? (or maybe it is just me)

Exactly. I know we're all individuals, but if we had to categorize ourselves, what category would we place ourselves into? I'm curious especially for people like that guy, because I know alot of people here consider themselves extremely unique and different so I was wondering what would happen if I asked them to kind of stereotype themselves!

Quote by damian_91
Age?
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by sam b
Nationality..

How come musical preference has so many?

*meets someone new*
"Hi, I'm a metalhead"
'kbai'

Same with Social Group.

"Hi, I'm popular"

Hahaha, I know the social group one is kind of weird, but I've heard it happen before. Like "hey I hang out with all of those (popular) kids". You know, kind of subtle.

I guess I've mainly heard people describe themselves by their career from experience. Which did you pick?

Quote by damian_91
Other:
Personality: Being disturbingly charming and attractive.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by merfsullivan

Spooni's got it.

Read the first post, man. I guess I forgot to include an "Illiterate douchebag" option.

Quote by damian_91
Quote by Kensai
Other:
Personality: Being disturbingly charming and attractive.

lol
uhmm... when someone asks: who are you? I am not going to answer with proghead.... but with davey

But I guess I'd say I like prog yes
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
I think the people who you hang with define you a lot and also your job or hobby. So, I say social group and hobby, since I don't have a job yet.
You're actions define you.

How you act is how people perceive you. Of course there are people who will always look at you based purely on something such as clothing, age or race but that isn't what actually defines you.

How you act is the only thing that truly defines who you are.
Last edited by rizo299 at Aug 18, 2008,
For me, it's music and hobby. Because my hobby is guitar, which enjoys a highly incestuous relationship with my music, which is basically anything with cool guitars. And I say that this defines me, at least in part, because a lot of what I have decided to do with my life comes from playing guitar.
Hobby, music, and social group to an extent, but none of them define me particularly well. Does this mean I'm genuinely unique?
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Nationality is the answer. Nobody walks around greeting people from a different country saying that they're an Indie kid and stuff.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████

You'll Never Walk Alone
I think mine would be musical preference and hobby...I only really listen to classical music, and I play cello...that's what I spend a lot of my day every day doing.
Quote by Shackman10
I think mine would be musical preference and hobby...I only really listen to classical music, and I play cello...that's what I spend a lot of my day every day doing.

what the hell are you doing in UG?
Quote by breadstick
I don't belong in categories.

Ironically, you'd belong in the "won't relate to categories" category.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I guess my species. There aren't too many Tyrannosaurs left these days
I usually define myself by my musical preferences. Except I usually state what bands I'm into, because people usually get a good idea of who a person is based on what they listen to.

Also, by hobby as well. I like to write, and many people can tell I'm introverted and... that I like writing.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
i would say hobbies because at my school, i feel like im the only one who is really into watches and fish.
According to my friends, I cant be catergorized, so I'm just me.

I like being just me, and so do my friends, so I leave it at that.

I'm me.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Spooni_Shaq
you know

this^
All my friends are Imaginary

"There was much of the beautiful,
much of the wanton, much of the bizarre, something of the terrible,
and not a little of that which might have excited disgust"

Swan Song
A Story by the Earl of Slander
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
you know

I can bet most people will agree with you, but I don't think you understand the point of this thread. It's asking how you as an individual define yourself. I know we are who we are, but we aren't going to say who we are inside when someone asks us, it's just to complicated, and it takes time to learn that stuff. The TS it's just wondering what we say when someone asks us who we are.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Page 1 of 2