Seymour Duncan '59 or Jazz? What are the others? My first amp is going to be a Fender Twin Reverb so I want the perfect clean neck humbucker to go with it. Thanks for any feedback.
For clean warm sounds, you can't really go wrong with a PAF. Check out the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary PAF.
Emg-60
Current Gear:
New York Pro - 5 String Beaut
Some tom delonge green strat my friend made
Boss GT-6
Eden DC210XLT Metro Bass Combo 500W (if anyone else has this model and has any insight about it, do pm me)
Quote by dudester410
Emg-60

why the heck would he want an active pickup for a nice clean sound?!

What you need my friend is something with low-medium output and an Alnico 5 magnet.
The DiMarzio PAF 36th anniversary or Air Classic would do you very nicely.
Quote by XtAsY2007
why the heck would he want an active pickup for a nice clean sound?!

What you need my friend is something with low-medium output and an Alnico 5 magnet.
The DiMarzio PAF 36th anniversary or Air Classic would do you very nicely.

because believe it or not, actives produce a pretty damn good clean sound in some guitars, the EMG60 being a prime example.
but i'd suggest a seymour anyway, mostly coz if you wanna use a passive bridge pickup, you won't be able to use the neck/bridge pickups in series, only isolated.
Actives aren't only good for distorted sounds.
David Gilmour used EMG's too I believe, and the EMG 60 is one of their pickups which really do good on clean sounds as well as distorted sounds.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
just wondering...what body shape and more importantly,what type of wood is ur guitar?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Quote by geek_core
because believe it or not, actives produce a pretty damn good clean sound in some guitars, the EMG60 being a prime example.
but i'd suggest a seymour anyway, mostly coz if you wanna use a passive bridge pickup, you won't be able to use the neck/bridge pickups in series, only isolated.

+1 to everything he said.

hey TS, i just put a '59 in my jet-king, and I'm going to do a review for it over the next couple of days. if you want and can wait, ill send you a link to the video when it's done so that you can hear it.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
It depends on the type of clean tone you are looking for. Do you want clear and chimy? Gritty and spongy? Or more midrange and bite?
Not taking any online orders.
I'm thinking Dimarzio Humbcker from Hell or Duncan Stag Mag.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Look at some seymour duncan zebra pickups, there is a wide variety they always look good at play brilliantly at the neck. The model depends on your preference.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
The colour of the bobbins has nothing to do with the sound of the pickup.

Although Eric Johnson may think otherwise...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

I know i know, i cant remember the model numbers or the pickup. I just remember it was a duncan with zebra bobbins, i remember being blown away by the cleans and a tad of crunch.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by steven seagull

lol i havent heart an EJ joke in a while
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I can personally vouch for the EMG 60's cleans, and mine's even in the bridge (yes, so its backwards, but it sounds great).
Lefty Black Gibson SG Special with EMG 60/85
15w Laney Hard Core Max
SG Commando

Quote by donkey the wise
I think plod just won the thread. All 1,019 pages of it. Won.
I love the '57 classics on my Es-339. They're all mellow and shit...
Quote by CorduroyEW
It depends on the type of clean tone you are looking for. Do you want clear and chimy? Gritty and spongy? Or more midrange and bite?

4:30 - end of song 4 off of The Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream CD has the best cleans sound there could possibly be. Its as clear and pristine as can be yet not too glassy and very smooth. I know Billy used a Twin Reverb for that so that's why I have to have that amp. That's one of the best CDs there is.
Quote by wyldeshredder
just wondering...what body shape and more importantly,what type of wood is ur guitar?

I'm saving up for the ESP M-II bolt on with Duncans. It comes with a JB/'59, alder body, Floyd Rose. I was just wondering if there was anything even better then the '59 it comes with so I might change it later. Some day I will get a Les Paul Classic and put a JB/Jazz in it.
Dimarzio Humbucker from hell
Dimarzio PAF Pro

Duncan 59
Duncan Alnico II Pro
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Mike!
I love the '57 classics on my Es-339. They're all mellow and shit...

So Gibson semi-hollow bodies have better cleans then solidbody guitars? Probably a dumb question but I've never seen a band I listen to play one.
Quote by dumpsterdiver29
So Gibson semi-hollow bodies have better cleans then solidbody guitars? Probably a dumb question but I've never seen a band I listen to play one.

foo fighters, clapton, eric johnson, BB king, sometimes Joe Bonomasa(yea, it's spelled wrong) etc.

ok first of all, this may sound very rude, but you need to learn A LOT more about guitar before you decide to buy new pickups. do research. learn about different guitar types. learn about what other people play, and why they play them. take time to digest a lot of info about other players, and THEN go back and seriously consider exactly what YOU want to play. after that, then go back and determine if you want a pick-up upgrade. taht way you will get exactly what you want, and you will be that much happier for it!!
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by dumpsterdiver29
4:30 - end of song 4 off of The Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream CD has the best cleans sound there could possibly be. Its as clear and pristine as can be yet not too glassy and very smooth. I know Billy used a Twin Reverb for that so that's why I have to have that amp. That's one of the best CDs there is.

I'm pretty sure he is using single coils at the end of that song. 1 option you have is to get something that is specifically designed to function like 2 single coil pickup and then wire in a split coil switch. My 2face pickup is good for this and so is the seymour duncan stagmag.

Another option would be to get a real humbucker that has a vintage output and an Anico 3 magnet. The Alnco 3 has less power than other alnico magnets but it's got a clearer tone than other alnico magnets. A custom version of my cool heritage would be good for this. Bare Knuckles is the only brand name that I know of that commonly uses alnico 3.
Not taking any online orders.
I think Dimarzio's humbucker from hell (ignore the name) is nice for the neck. Has a pretty nice single coil like voicing.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I'm pretty sure he is using single coils at the end of that song. 1 option you have is to get something that is specifically designed to function like 2 single coil pickup and then wire in a split coil switch. My 2face pickup is good for this and so is the seymour duncan stagmag.

Another option would be to get a real humbucker that has a vintage output and an Anico 3 magnet. The Alnco 3 has less power than other alnico magnets but it's got a clearer tone than other alnico magnets. A custom version of my cool heritage would be good for this. Bare Knuckles is the only brand name that I know of that commonly uses alnico 3.

Thanks for the info. I think Billy used his 1972 Gibson ES-335 for 4:30 - 5:48 then used his '57 reissue Strat for the clean solo with the Gibson in the backround. Most of that song is Billy playing Iha's Les Pauls. I think at the beginning of song 7 he is using the ES-335 and that sounds even better. The clean solo on song 4 had that trebley Strat sound to it if you listen really closely so the smoother ES-335 would sound a lot better.

http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.html

http://www.spfc.org/band/equipment.html?equipment_id=45
On Tonight Tonight, Billy used a 1972 Gibson ES-335 guitar.
Last edited by dumpsterdiver29 at Aug 19, 2008,