eq and amp tone probably. uses Gallien Krueger I think. yeah GGallien Krueger 2001 RB Head, and seymour dunc pickups.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
whoa sounds like expensive equipment. is there any way to get as close to that tone as possible with just an average combo amp and an eq pedal?
Quote by chernk
whoa sounds like expensive equipment. is there any way to get as close to that tone as possible with just an average combo amp and an eq pedal?

who knows, it depends on a lot of things. just mess around with it and see if you can do it.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Well, playing that close to the saddle automatically gives you a ratchety sound, playing close the the next gives a more natural bass sound. So play close to the saddle, I think that all A7X is Drop D, but do not quote me on that one... If that was the case (I have never tried) playing close the the saddle in drop D should get you very close to that sound and the only difference would be your gear.
O.O
wait, he DOESN'T use a pick?!
Holy crap, his tone is amazing!
Don't like this band, but jesus, I guess he's a master of tones......
And to add, he's probably has a very snappy fingerstyle to get that tone.
STUFF
MOD Contest Group
Resisting the Urge to Fap since 8/11/08
However, I lost in 3 days.
Quote by Hobolad

Guns don't help defense, they make you more vulnerable if anything. Said this a lot already

Quote by hippiebass
It looks like he's using a pick.

Nah, as much as I hate "A7X", it definitely looks like fingers.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
hes got a awsome tone, pluck really hard at the saddle, make the string rattle/slap against the neck or pickup, boost the low mids to give that growl, and use a pick, saw them live with maiden, jonny christ used a pick for the first half of the song, and his tone was bloody awful, it was so bassy you cant hear any notes or tone, just low noisy rumbles.
PS use ur bridge pickup, or get a musicman.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

what? Was that really necessary? Do you automatically assume that bassists in bands you hate use picks?

I think he just failed to separate his points, so he probably meant to say "As much as I hate A7X, I'm going to give you this advice" and "he's using his fingers"

If I am mistaken, then Insanity^2 is an idiot.
Quote by NakedBassist
Maybe use a pick?
EDIT: ^ he's definitely using his fingers.

Yeah, he is using his fingers. I only watched up to 0:45
also get some nickel coated string i just slapped some on my yamaha beginner bass and its sounds like im using a pick. remind you that it has P-bass pickups, so with some jazz bass pups or Musicman ones, boosted mids, and nickel coated string should get you that tone. also for clarification he used to use a pick and now uses fingers. Read it in Bass Player the magazine.
A7X tone: Volume 0

That's all you really need.

On a serious note.
The tone is just a music man with the highs pretty much cut out with alot of lows and mids.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Last edited by Woogles at Aug 18, 2008,
To me, it just sounds like the Fender P-Bass tone, but it's higher in the mix, so you can actually hear it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by MetalBass 77
nickel coated string should get you that tone.

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but don't nickels give a warmer sound without as much of the brightness and attack of stainless?
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Quote by failedstagedive
somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but don't nickels give a warmer sound without as much of the brightness and attack of stainless?

*looks on back of D'Addario package*
Yeah, you're right. Nickels are "bright" but Prosteels are "Super bright".
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Sorry to go off topic here a little but what do you guys mean when you say Drop D like TormentedRX said? I'm really curious.
tuned D-A-D-G instead of E-A-D-G
^^not necessarily helpful.
Quote by the humanity

think pokemon
Pete Wentz sig reaches level 32, it evolves into Mark Hoppus bass.
Mark Hoppus bass uses tone knob!
it's super unneffective!
Basically detune your E string until you play the open A string note on the 7th fret instead of the 5th. That's what i do.

On a side note, is Matt trying to look like Joe Satriani or something?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The E string is dropped a step to D. It's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Wow this is some weird stuff lol most likely because I don't play bass :$. How exactly do you do this dropping?
Quote by SynisterGates!
Wow this is some weird stuff lol most likely because I don't play bass :$. How exactly do you do this dropping?

It's no different than guitar... the low E is turned down to a D.
Get a nice Warwick $$ 5-string and tune the B string to D and then wail on it. It's not necessary, but then neither is the fact that a7x needs a bassist that is on level 2 in the main mix, gosh! But anyways, I use a Spector Legend 4, just turn down the contour and use natural low mids (no pedals!) and a little high for the clicks. Other than that, keep up the heroin necessary to stop you from shoving the gun between your teeth.
Hugs and Kisses!!
I think if you get an active instrument with an MM-style humbucker at the bridge, you'll get a very, very similar tone. The GK rig and a wee bit of GK overdrive would totally nail it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by aceofbass131
Get a nice Warwick $$ 5-string and tune the B string to D and then wail on it. It's not necessary, but then neither is the fact that a7x needs a bassist that is on level 2 in the main mix, gosh! But anyways, I use a Spector Legend 4, just turn down the contour and use natural low mids (no pedals!) and a little high for the clicks. Other than that, keep up the heroin necessary to stop you from shoving the gun between your teeth.
Hugs and Kisses!!

OM NOM NOM deviled ham.

Get a bass with a humbucker and play in drop D with a boost of the los mids and a touch of highs. That wil get you there.
Quote by aceofbass131
Hugs and Kisses!!

Say hello to stupid amounts of tension.
To you guys who are complaining about the volume of his bass, its fine for that song, its bass driven and you can hear the bass clearly (or i can anyway,) , therefore its fine .

And yeah he uses drop d, sometimes drop c apparently, Almost Easy is supposedly in drop c. I play it in d but meh, whatever.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
they tend to have really good mix, u can hear the bass really well in their albums, and they would sound ****ter than they already are if they dont have a bassist, their guitars are all trebly and synster gays always play high fills and the other one mimes so they need a bassist to fill the low beefy frequencies. If you listen to trivium, they definately dont need a bassist.
Quote by jb_reborn
they tend to have really good mix, u can hear the bass really well in their albums, and they would sound ****ter than they already are if they dont have a bassist, their guitars are all trebly and synster gays always play high fills and the other one mimes so they need a bassist to fill the low beefy frequencies. If you listen to trivium, they definately dont need a bassist.

Not to hijack the thread... but Trivium's bassist is quite good. He adds a lot to the songs, and doesn't quite follow the guitar riffs.
To clarify: He does use a pick, except for a few songs off their latest album (Dear God and Gunslinger I think).
Also, they have always used Drop-D tuning, with the exception of "Darkness Surrounding" from "Sounding the Seventh Trumpet", which was standard, and "Scream" from their self-titled album, which was Drop C#
Quote by Victory2134
*looks on back of D'Addario package*
Yeah, you're right. Nickels are "bright" but Prosteels are "Super bright".

oh, the reason i said that is because i put some on my bass and the strings are REALLY bright. i think the company was guitar research medium gauge. maybe someone packed the wrong string ons mine because its actually very bright.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Broken One and Becoming the Dragon immediately spring to mind.

ahh don't forget the instrumental "The Crusade" bass solo mid way in the song i believe. at the clean guitar breakdown.

EDIT: Sorry DP