Page 1 of 2
I need a new amp and I was looking online and i would like a a marshall tube head to go with a 1960a cab. I dont have the greatest knowledge of Marshall heads but i have played threw several before (dsl's and mg's). I really like marshall. I would like to know what would the most suitable one for me. I have a price range of around £700 and i play all sorts of music, mostly rock, experimental and metal. I know that the heads are mostly decent for blues but what about metal (BLS, pantera, megadeth etc etc.) But not heavy heavy metal.

Id love some suggestions, been playing for a few years now and i also use stomp box pedals, metal muff, boss overdrive etc etc. and my guitar has humbuckers and thats about all the info i can give.

I have seen and i like the JCM2000 series. i know the best way is to try out but i need some suggestions what to try out, thanks for the help.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
my brothers got the jvm 410 head. 100 watt all tube. its awesome for metallica, megadeth etc.. should be just about within your price range..
Gibson Les Paul Faded Honeyburst
Ibanez RG1570 - EMG 81/85
Marshall JVM 205c
Marshall MS-4 Microstack
----------------------------
ESP EC-404 Les Paul Bass
Marshall B65
theres also a jvm 210 head. which is cheaper but also 100w. stay clear of the mg's if you're after a nice sounding amp
Marshall JVM 205c
Marshall MS-4 Microstack
ESP EC-404 Les Paul Bass
Marshall B65
Quote by pjswhu
my brothers got the jvm 410 head. 100 watt all tube. its awesome for metallica, megadeth etc.. should be just about within your price range..

Thank you for that suggestion, i would love 100 watts, not that i need it, i rarely gig, but i am in 2 bands and gigging will be more regular in a few months to come, so il play it safe and go 100 watts.

KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING!!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I suggest looking at Orange and Laney heads.

You also might be able to get a 6505 or something along those lines as they are great for metal.
Marshall JCM800 2203KK.

Hmm..... seems like that's out of your budget...... does it have to be a Marshall head? Well...... Mesas are probably expensive over there......
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by pjswhu
theres also a jvm 210 head. which is cheaper but also 100w. stay clear of the mg's if you're after a nice sounding amp

Thanks, i experienced an mg100hdfx at first hand, bloody awefull thing.
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Zakk Wylde uses JCM 800's if memory serves me, try looking on ebay for one, you should be able to get one with money to spare. Now you have to realise they don't have as much gain as modern marshalls but throw a distortion pedal in front of it and it will wipe the floor with anything marshall makes nowadays
I suggest:
Engl Thunder 50
Laney GH50L
Laney GH100L
Laney VH100R
Orange Rocker 30
Peavey 6505

All under £700 new...and much better than the Marshalls in that price range imo, without going used anyway.
Quote by lewis_grey
Zakk Wylde uses JCM 800's if memory serves me, try looking on ebay for one, you should be able to get one with money to spare. Now you have to realise they don't have as much gain as modern marshalls but throw a distortion pedal in front of it and it will wipe the floor with anything marshall makes nowadays

I will take that into consideration, Wylde is my faveourite gutiarist and i plan on getting an epiphone bullseye with an emg 81/85 active set and getting it professionally set up. Ive been saving now for ages and ive had my current set up now for years and i think i deserve an upgrade.

again, keep the suggestions coming!!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
think he only wants a marshall though which is fair enough
Marshall JVM 205c
Marshall MS-4 Microstack
ESP EC-404 Les Paul Bass
Marshall B65
Quote by pjswhu
think he only wants a marshall though which is fair enough

Size doesnt really matter tbh, its gonna be a halfstack in the corner of my room, im all for 100 watts
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
I will take that into consideration, Wylde is my faveourite gutiarist and i plan on getting an epiphone bullseye with an emg 81/85 active set and getting it professionally set up. Ive been saving now for ages and ive had my current set up now for years and i think i deserve an upgrade.

again, keep the suggestions coming!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Zakk-Wylde-Marshall-2203-JCM-800-Ltd-edition-Half-Stack_W0QQitemZ150284244070QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150284244070&_trkparms=72%3A1089%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

maybe if you sold the cab you have now?
Listen, you can get WAY better for the price going with anything other than Marshall. You can't exactly say you like Marshall after trying an MG and DSL.
Quote by Horlicks
Listen, you can get WAY better for the price going with anything other than Marshall. You can't exactly say you like Marshall after trying an MG and DSL.

Ive tryed several. Im not saying definately Marshall, i just want suggestions for my style, and i want to know what marshall heads are out there that suit it, im just saying i would prefer a marshall as i know what they are like. also i dont live near any guitar center etc. i live in ireland and there are 4 marshall dealers within 40 miles of me, so it would be best.
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I was looking, would a dsl 100 or a tsl 100 suit.

Whats the difference??????
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Laney GH? Or Laney VH100R used.
Fender USA Telecaster
Laney VC30-210
Vox Wah
That's it :|
if you want to stick with marshall, i'd be looking at the dsl and jvm head. if you're willing to look elsewhere, laney vh and tt heads, engl blackmore and screamer etc. would be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you want to stick with marshall, i'd be looking at the dsl and jvm head. if you're willing to look elsewhere, laney vh and tt heads, engl blackmore and screamer etc. would be worth a look.

Thanls for them suggestions man.
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
JCM800 FTW. also, check out Ceriatone.com to save yourself some cash. thsi guy makes exact duplicates of really famous amps (Bassman, Plexi, Twin, JTM45) for chicken feed. they actually sound better IMHO.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Ok ive been looking online now, reviews and features etc. Any way i would love a TSL100 tube head. What does everyone think????

But alot of you are telling me about a JCM800, what would suit me more????????????

Need help here
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I think the TSL line sounds like a muddy fizzy mess. Just my opinion, I'm not a fan at all.

The JCM800 has less gain but more balls, it just sounds... bigger. It should have plenty of gain anyway. Besides, its easier to get more gain out of an amp than getting more tone out of an amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RYTc_rVns&feature=related

sounds like plenty of gain to me.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by al112987
I think the TSL line sounds like a muddy fizzy mess. Just my opinion, I'm not a fan at all.

The JCM800 has less gain but more balls, it just sounds... bigger. It should have plenty of gain anyway. Besides, its easier to get more gain out of an amp than getting more tone out of an amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-RYTc_rVns&feature=related

sounds like plenty of gain to me.

Thanks for that man, im now between 2. the thing is, im also into alot of experimental guitar stuff, and i feel that the tsl would benift me more cause of the channels, i could be wrong. I do wan a brilliant tone, clean and distorted, im not to worried about the amps overdrives, yeah its great but i use stomp boxes alot so that might raise a few issuses over which one is more suitable

Also i was looking at prices, the tsl is £625 and the JCM800 re-issuse is £840, thats quite a difference, but i would save the extra for the jcm is it would be noticably better.

KEEP THE OPINIONS COMING GUYS!!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
Thanks for that man, im now between 2. the thing is, im also into alot of experimental guitar stuff, and i feel that the tsl would benift me more cause of the channels, i could be wrong. I do wan a brilliant tone, clean and distorted, im not to worried about the amps overdrives, yeah its great but i use stomp boxes alot so that might raise a few issuses over which one is more suitable

Also i was looking at prices, the tsl is £625 and the JCM800 re-issuse is £840, thats quite a difference, but i would save the extra for the jcm is it would be noticably better.

KEEP THE OPINIONS COMING GUYS!!

Buy used.
Im not a fan of Laney, basing this on experience, they are great value for money, but i preferd the dsl i played in comparison to gh100l i played, also i dont want used, i was advised by my local gutiar tech not to buy used tube amps, makes sence if u think about it. question now is, will the tsl100 suit me more than a jcm800 for rock, light metal, and experimental, as well as being awesome on clean

need more opions guys!!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
Im not a fan of Laney, basing this on experience, they are great value for money, but i preferd the dsl i played in comparison to gh100l i played, also i dont want used, i was advised by my local gutiar tech not to buy used tube amps, makes sence if u think about it. question now is, will the tsl100 suit me more than a jcm800 for rock, light metal, and experimental, as well as being awesome on clean

need more opions guys!!

Honestly you should look at other brands first.

Then look at used Marshall, as most people will agree that older Marshalls are better.

Then look at the new Marshalls.

The Orange Rocker 30 nails the classic marshall tone brilliantly, but if it doesnt have enough gain try Engl's and Peaveys.

And why is it a bad idea to buy amps used? You save loads of money on great amps...

However if you want a amp that looks nice but is sub-par for the money, then get the DSL or TSL.
Marshall DSL or JVM's are fantistic for what you are looking for. Of course the JCM800KK or a more vintage JCM800 (of willing to fo used) are sweet as well.
I would love an orange rocker 30. But would it be loud enuff, i want to sorta future proof the amp i get, i.e it will match my needs in 3 years time, not just now.

Ive looked at peavey, a 6505 would be nice but im not sure, there are no laney models id like, ive looked at mesa and they are far too dear.

I think a marshall tsl would givve me excellent tone for all genres i want, as i fear the 6505 wouldnt be able to.

Like i love les pauls and it seems just natural to pair up a marshall with one, thats just another plus point. But everyone keep the suggestions coming!
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
JCM 2000 DSL heads are good, much better than the TSL. Tested one out just the other day in my local guitar shop. About £400 2nd hand for the head I think. Not to sure as to the real price as I get mates rates
Quote by Splif-Burton
JCM 2000 DSL heads are good, much better than the TSL. Tested one out just the other day in my local guitar shop. About £400 2nd hand for the head I think. Not to sure as to the real price as I get mates rates

Would u rather a dsl than a tsl??????????
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Seriously is the dsl 100 a better choice than the tsl 100????????????????????
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Quote by bazzabalboa
I would love an orange rocker 30. But would it be loud enuff, i want to sorta future proof the amp i get, i.e it will match my needs in 3 years time, not just now.

Ive looked at peavey, a 6505 would be nice but im not sure, there are no laney models id like, ive looked at mesa and they are far too dear.

I think a marshall tsl would givve me excellent tone for all genres i want, as i fear the 6505 wouldnt be able to.

Like i love les pauls and it seems just natural to pair up a marshall with one, thats just another plus point. But everyone keep the suggestions coming!

30w is loud enough for any gig, any practice, anything.

You don't need 100w. But w/e get a dsl.
Quote by iamtompublic
30w is loud enough for any gig, any practice, anything.

You don't need 100w. But w/e get a dsl.

I read that the tsl is better, how is the dsl better than the tsl?????? better tone or what??????

Also dont think is price, the tsl100 is £625 and on another website i found the dsl100 was £615 and £10 or difference is nothing.

Im really apprieciating the feedback lads.
Bazza

Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
Page 1 of 2