Quote by inlovewithmusic
would it be worth buying a solid spruce top rather than
a say laminated Mahogany top ?

It all really depends on the sound you want. Spruce is an excellent top-wood because of the sound it makes. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the most used wood for top. The laminated Mahongany would most likely give you longer sustain and a thicker tone because lamanent is denser then wood by itself.(Mahogany is pretty dense on it's own as well.) So, when it comes down to it, just go for whichever one has the sound you're looking for if you get a chance to play both kinds. Hope this helps!
Quote by inlovewithmusic
would it be worth buying a solid spruce top rather than
a say laminated Mahogany top ?

It depends... what kind of sound do you want? diffrent woods give off a diffrent sound.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Right, and instead of playing Tekken, go out and join a martial arts tournament! While your at it, put down that NES controller and go jump on some real turtles, pussy..
Quote by ScreaminDemon64
It all really depends on the sound you want. Spruce is an excellent top-wood because of the sound it makes. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure it's the most used wood for top. The laminated Mahongany would most likely give you longer sustain and a thicker tone because lamanent is denser then wood by itself.(Mahogany is pretty dense on it's own as well.) So, when it comes down to it, just go for whichever one has the sound you're looking for if you get a chance to play both kinds. Hope this helps!

Quote by Corpse.of.Dark
It depends... what kind of sound do you want? diffrent woods give off a diffrent sound.

Thanks, well I guess I'm not really looking for a lot of sustain in an acoustic.
I basically want a big chunky acoustic sound ....but i'm guessing that the jumbo
body will help with that, but I guess you can never tell without playing the instrument.

I just wanted to know if its worth getting a solid spruce top ...and if there was anything I should be particularly aware of. Cuz I read somewhere that solid tops
need a lot of care and attention
I've reported this so it gets moved to the right forum.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
moved
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure