This Friday I will be going to Guitar Center to pick up/order either a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser or a Schecter Sunset Hellraiser, but I can't decide on which to get. The biggest difference is that I'd have to wait to get the Sunset and the fact that both have two different pickup selector switches.

The Sunset has a 5-way, but the C-1 only has a 3-way. Other than that, the guitars are almost identical. How much added versatility will that 5 way switch have. I assumed the 89 and 81TW could only do one single coil when using the coil splitting feature. Can anyone shed some light on this?
~
i personally prefer 3 way switches, the ones like on gibsons. but i dont think there is much differance
Well, hold on there, fella...

I love the 5-way on my Strat... it definitely is more versatile than a 3 way, if you actually make use of them that is. I used to have a Les Paul, and I could get more tonal differences with the Strat due to the 5 way selector.

But hey, it's your choice.
The C-1 Hellraiser has the coil tap though, doesn't it?

That's something else to consider when thinking about the versatility of the guitar.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, hold on there, fella...

I love the 5-way on my Strat... it definitely is more versatile than a 3 way, if you actually make use of them that is. I used to have a Les Paul, and I could get more tonal differences with the Strat due to the 5 way selector.

But hey, it's your choice.

But the C-1 also has coil tap, so it really makes no difference at all in the end. Choose the one that looks the best to you. Personally I chose the C-1 because of the carved top and I like the headstock design.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Just got back home, thanks for all the responses. Both guitars have the coil tap. The only difference between the two are the headstock shape and the pickup selector. Also a bigger difference for me is that they don't have any Sunset Hellraisers at the Guitar Center near me, so I would have to special order it. I'll be getting a good deal on either one though. $849 with a hardshell case included for free.
~
The Sunset either has the coil-taps on push/pull pots or it has a 5-way lever switch, not both. I was under the impression it was wired juts like the C-1 and the EMGs are split using push/pull pots, but it has a 3-way lever switch instead of the Gibson-style switch on the C-1. No difference in quality, but I would prefer the Sunset FR.
Quote by Mitsuharu
Just got back home, thanks for all the responses. Both guitars have the coil tap. The only difference between the two are the headstock shape and the pickup selector. Also a bigger difference for me is that they don't have any Sunset Hellraisers at the Guitar Center near me, so I would have to special order it. I'll be getting a good deal on either one though. $849 with a hardshell case included for free.

Don't forget the Sunset also has a flat top, as opposed to the C-1's carved top. It makes a difference, however unnoticeable it may be.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
Quote by JD Red LP
The Sunset either has the coil-taps on push/pull pots or it has a 5-way lever switch, not both. I was under the impression it was wired juts like the C-1 and the EMGs are split using push/pull pots, but it has a 3-way lever switch instead of the Gibson-style switch on the C-1. No difference in quality, but I would prefer the Sunset FR.

According to the Schecter website, it does have both. The volume knobs are push/pull and it says it has a five-way lever switch. You may be right though, the picture for the Sunset is either plain wrong or they are lying about the electronics.
~
Quote by Mitsuharu
According to the Schecter website, it does have both. The volume knobs are push/pull and it says it has a five-way lever switch. You may be right though, the picture for the Sunset is either plain wrong or they are lying about the electronics.

I'm pretty sure it's wrong. You can't actually "coil-split" EMGs. The 89, 81-TW, and 707-TW all have the electronics for the regular humbucker and the electronics from an EMG SA single-coil under the same casing. Pulling the push/pull pot activates the single-coil in the corresponding pickup. Position 2 and 4 on a 5-way lever would be neck single and bridge single respectively. There aren't any other wiring combination you can get because as far as I know you can't wire EMGs to switch between series and parallel.
Thank you for the clarification. I will definitely go for the C-1 now that I know there's no real benefit to having the 5-way. I won't have to wait two months now.
~