I'm sorda stuck as far as guitar goes right now.

I have been soloing using pentatonics, natural minor, phrygian (a little bit) and major scales for a while....and a few modes. I am wondering how guitarists like randy rhoads construct shred runs. (think the end of the crazy train solo...it looks like 2 major triads and then 3 minor triads?)

I'm never sure how to right a good solo over like power chords because I like sweep picking arpeggios (that go with the chord) but that doesn't work very well with power chords. Do some people just pretend that they have minor chords being played in the background or.

I am not amazing at understanding theory so go light on the music theory terms...

Also. I have been learning a lot of instrumentals and stuff. (satch boogie, little wing, donna lee, eruption *flame shield*)

I have pretty good technique and everything it's just. Knowing what to play. I like neo-classical stuff, jazz, rock...

at some point in the future i want to try to start learning some classical but everybody says it is quite complex...and I believe them.

I also am having troubles writing songs, I don't know any like metal or rock chord progressions.....And when it comes to instrumentals i have a hard time not just making it sound like a 3min guitar solo...

help me out here...

oh and I practice a lot...but I never know what to practice so I end up playing new songs and stuff usually. if anybody has some good material for like sweep picking, tapping, and legato i'd be grateful.
John Petrucci

The one and only god.