So Pit, what do you think?

Would you ever lip-sync at a gig to make sure you got it exactly right? I've done it......partially cause I couldn't understand a word I was singing mornally over the sound of the PA.
I don't like it at all... I would do it if there was NO OTHER way, but I would feel dirty afterwards...
The rawness of a live performance not lipsynched is what I prefer...

I'll go with the old faithful argument that I didn't pay $100 for a ticket to hear the band play the song exactly like the studio version...
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I feel like I've cheated now...

You sound like you don't know how people react when they find out they're favorite pop singer lyp synchs.

Actually, you make it sound like you thought lip syncing isn't a bad thing.
Last edited by metaldud536 at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by metaldud536
You sound like you don't know how people react when they find out they're favorite pop singer lyp synchs.

I've NEVER listened to pop music....I have always loved rock and indie stuff.
inb4 ashley simpson comment
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Depends. If it's for health reasons, ok I could stand it...
But if he simply does it because he can't sing right, the singer just lost all my respect.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Lip syncing is on par with theft. Lip syncing is stealing!

Think about it. If you pay for a live performance, and don't get it (You might get dancing and stuff, but it should all be about the music anyway), its as if you were robbed.

Should be a crime, with the same punishment as outright theft!

That is, if you're pretending that you aren't lip syncing.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
It depends. Sometimes it's better to have it there. But listen to people like Justin Timberlake do his stuff live, there's all his harmony vocals and backing vocals on a backing track behind him. he's not lip synching, but if he stops singing, there's enough vocals behind him that it makes up for it.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Never. My best asset as a performer is my singing voice; it would be silly to trade that in for a canned recording.
Death to Ovation haters!
before you continure remember that queen couldn't play bohemiam rhapsedy live,it was so over dubbed on the vocals they would leave stage during the opratic bit and return on the solo
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick
I keep lookin behind me,You're amazing at this

Quote by Aerokizzombie
Dam,Cent, ur repeating man scares the shit out of me, its so true

Quote by CodChick
Omg Cent,Ive been havin nightmares because of u

Quote by MCMXCII
**** you man,I was just going to bed

I'm scary
I cant stand it. I find it even more annoying when performers require an auto-cue to get the words right though, so out of the 2, I'd prefer they just mimed it.

I did find out recently that a very well known boy band from the last decade used to use a vast amount of gear at gigs, but nothing was actually used. The 48channel desk, 4 racks of outboard gear, huge amount of cable and another 36 channel desk plus outboard gear for monitors was all for show. In reality, 7 channels of the FOH desk were used. 2 for cd playback, and the rest for radio mics so the band could "interact" and name check the town they were performing. Everything was powered and appeared to be functional, but wasnt used. A fantastic waste of time and money.

Edit: But queen never pretended to be singing that part. They always left the stage during it. They never mislead anyone, which is what is happening more and more in this modern age of music.
Quote by Dave_Mc
how do those marshall handles compare tonewise to, say, mesa handles?

Owns a Blackheart Little Giant...
Last edited by AndyPandy at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by urik
Depends. If it's for health reasons, ok I could stand it...
But if he simply does it because he can't sing right, the singer just lost all my respect.

True point...
Quote by centorium
before you continure remember that queen couldn't play bohemiam rhapsedy live,it was so over dubbed on the vocals they would leave stage during the opratic bit and return on the solo

I think that is relatively justified since they play all of the song besides that part. That and I want to hear Roger's high note.
Quote by metal4ever6328
Its just pathetic realy. Why even sync? just play the recording and sit on your ass like a douche!

I've actually bass-sync'ed...mimed playing bass to a recording. It was mostly cause my amp was being stupid.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
I've actually bass-sync'ed...mimed playing bass to a recording. It was mostly cause my amp was being stupid.

This is forgivable.
Those without reasons are not.
Quote by Kensai
Ovenman, your contraptions make women's

clothes evaporate.

I WANT THE TWOOTH!

Quote by aaciseric
That's far too clever to be posted in the Pit.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
True point...

Just like the last gig of Pavarotti. It was lipsynced. But the guy had cancer. We should give him a break... He did it so well, that people started crying there before they knew that it was synced.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht

A very dangerous move. What if a string broke and the recording kept playing ?
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
A very dangerous move. What if a string broke and the recording kept playing ?

I can transpose onto another string...
Quote by InvaderTSN
I think that is relatively justified since they play all of the song besides that part. That and I want to hear Roger's high note.

true...in this case i give my verdict...

it depends on the situation,i think sometimes it can be used to good effect if you don't tamper with your voice with synth's etc and don't like try to hide it.

also it can be good if your giving a jumping dancing run-around performance..try singing when your fresh out of puff.

apart from that if you can sing then sing
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick

Quote by Aerokizzombie

Quote by CodChick

Quote by MCMXCII

I'm scary
i think it is only forgivable in some cases, eg. severebird flu to the left lung. i know muse hate miming and generally behive like idiots
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
I hate miming. If you can't be bothered to sing or play live, then don't do it.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.
Nope never.. would never even think of going to see a band doing that either. If i went to a concert and they did that i'd demand money back.
alright but what if the performance was better for the guy NOT singing...he dived about /crowd ran/surfed and genrally doss'd about would you still demand money back?
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick

Quote by Aerokizzombie

Quote by CodChick

Quote by MCMXCII

I'm scary
I think it's stupid. I've come to here the music performed, not watch people stand there moving there lips while a recording plays in the background. I can do that at home.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
I think Lip Syncing is bad, but I hate when bands have pre-recorded guitars, but act like they're playing them even worse. Apparently ZZ Top does that now...
Saint Louis Blues
If I go to a gig and the singer was lip-syncing I would leave. I don't want to be in a gig watching someone who proved they can't sing/has no real singing skills.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by centorium
alright but what if the performance was better for the guy NOT singing...he dived about /crowd ran/surfed and genrally doss'd about would you still demand money back?

Yes. If someone was syncing, it would destroy a performance for me. And if somebody isn't even pretending to sing (like in your example), why on earth are they on the stage? Watching people prance about to music they aren't playing? Not my cup of tea.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
for the record i'd like to point out in 90% of cases i think lip sinking is just a cheap way of performing...if i wanted to listen ot a c.d with lots of people touching me,i'd bring my i-pod to an orgy
Quote by imdeth
Centorium you dick

Quote by Aerokizzombie

Quote by CodChick

Quote by MCMXCII

I'm scary
Quote by The Picker
I think Lip Syncing is bad, but I hate when bands have pre-recorded guitars, but act like they're playing them even worse. Apparently ZZ Top does that now...

Where did you hear that?
Were living in a world of fools,breaking us down,when they all should let us be.
Quote by centorium
for the record i'd like to point out in 90% of cases i think lip sinking is just a cheap way of performing...if i wanted to listen ot a c.d with lots of people touching me,i'd bring my i-pod to an orgy