1. How do you know when your tubes go bad
2. What are some really good tubes.
3. I know that tube amps are much louder than solid states but, one of my friends told me that they are 20% louder than solid states. So if there was a 100watt solid state then if it was a tube amp it would be 120 watts. I'm not sure if this is true for not please let me know.
Watts and volume aren't proportionate. I don't know about 20% but I do know that a 100W tube is like 200W solid state.
Quote by slash2evh
1. How do you know when your tubes go bad
2. What are some really good tubes.
3. I know that tube amps are much louder than solid states but, one of my friends told me that they are 20% louder than solid states. So if there was a 100watt solid state then if it was a tube amp it would be 120 watts. I'm not sure if this is true for not please let me know.

Im response to 3 -
No -Watts are not directly proportional to volume. A tube amp is normally equal in volume to an equivalent SS amp with 2 to 3 times the wattage. To get double the volume you normally have to multiply the wattage by 10x.
Last edited by McCheese at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by Siempie666
3. A 50 watt tube amp blows away a 150 watt solid state amp easily.

In terms of volume yes. It also depends on the make and model of the specific amp(s). In general, tubes are more powerful.

To TS:
About #1 and #2 (since everyone answered 3), tubes can last you anywhere from 3 monthes to 3 years. How you take care of the amp and what type of amp and tubes are important factors in this.
I barely got my first tube (15-watter), so Idk what to recommend you.
Orange, some higher up Fenders and Marshalls have good tubes.
I must advise you to stay away from hybrids, like Valvetronix or whatever it's called. Plug one in at your local guitar shop and you'll feel the pain immediately.
Thanks for all the help. One of my friends has an old 75 watt tube amp in the basement of his house he said he turned it on and it didnt work....... I am about to go check out the amp. The way he describe it makes it seems like it needs new tubes. I hope this amp is pretty good cause right now i have a crappy 75watt line 6 spider. The tone isnt good at all and when i get into the high volume the low ends sound horrible when i palmmute and use the e-string.