Bogner Uberschall- Amp was pretty nice the distortion was immaculate and almost zero noise even with gain pushed to 8. Was almost spot on to the tone I have been searching for but the amp wasnt really loaded with options. Versatility is quite low and you can tell you might get bored with it after a few months when tweakablity hits a wall. Other then that it build quality was amazing and the amp felt solid.

Diezel Einstein- Very versatile amp with 3 modes, reminds me of a mesa in the fact you have to crank it to get it to really shine, el34's give it a spot on marshall crunch. Wasnt to impressed by it for what I like in an amp. But im sure others would love it.

VHT Deliverance- Amp was quite sterile almost lifeless, lacks in gain. Also the bottom end was undefined and loose sounding. You could pull off some decent classic rock stuff think of a dry sounding JCM 800 and thats what you got. Not what I was expecting at all..

Budda Superdrive II Combo- Very nice blues, classic rock amp. Thing really shined at high and low voumes and ton of versatility for this little combo. Sounded like a cross breed of Fender and Marshall with a hint of plexi. Great amp and it really lets the tone of your guitar shine through.

Krank Chadwick- Yet another Marshall toned amp great for classic rock. Sounded similiar to a Jcm 800 or and a bit of vox mixed it. Very low on gain.

Egnator Tourmaster Combo- Very versatile Each channel has its own tone, and is with the ability to assign different wattages per channel, you can go from totally clean, to preamp saturation to poweramp saturation easily. Can get decently heavy mainly around the thrash era but not a modern metal monster. Just a nice versatile amp that can almost do it all and do it quite well.

Blackstar Artisan Series 30- Reminds me of a VOX/Marshall tone but the amp didnt really thrill me also seemed cheaply made. Just touching switchs on the panel made it pop and have static. Tone was sort of lifeless as well. Reminded me of the Chadwick.

Raven RG100- People ask about them so I had to test one lol. It was pure junk, cheap and nasty sounding. The tone was actually worse then an MG so that pretty much tells ya right there.

One other suprising thing they had a Ultra Plus 120 up there setup on Vintage 30's and man it sounded great, it held its own against every amp i tested. The bogner just barely squeaking by because of the build quality and it had a bit darker tone. But with a tube change in the Ultra I think I can get relatively close to what im looking for. And its crazy how speakers can make a huge difference in tone. My Ultra at the house sounded nothing like the one at the store it completely blew me away... So that said its time I bite the bullet and finally got me some Vintage 30's.

And opinions are just personal prefrence im not a big fan of el34's or marshall tone so if you think the amps listed are simply amazing and I dinged them its just my opinion...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

either way - nice write up!

did you get to try all of these in 1 place?

How much was the Budda and how much was that Ultra+?

Budda was about $2000

The Ultra Plus was $449.99 but pretty beat up.

And yea there was a Guitar Center here that had a lot of used stuff hanging around.

Quote by blue_strat
Nice reviews, but how loud did you get to crank them?

Not very loud didnt get to hit power tube saturation on any of them. Because it was GC, thats why I mainly talked about there versatility and what sound i could get out of them.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Aug 18, 2008,
nice reviews there, thanks for that. i haven't tried everything you tried (actually hardly anything ), i agree about the budda. I liked the deliverance i tried, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
nice reviews there, thanks for that. i haven't tried everything you tried (actually hardly anything ), i agree about the budda. I liked the deliverance i tried, though.

I've always heard VHT's are dry but never quite grasped the sound until i played one. Its one of those love or hate amps and playing a Bogner Uberschall then going to it probably didnt help matters lol. What what I was meaning about the not what I expected is I thought it was a high gain amp to my surprise it was not.

But all in all the only amp I truly didnt like was the Raven. Each of the others had there place and would be a great fit for someone.
^ yeah, i know what you mean. i've tried a couple of vhts, and i understand the "dry" comments. I quite like it, but i can understand how people don't.

Actually, when i tried the vht deliverance, i also tried a bogner shiva, ecstacy, budda superdrive 30 combo (lol, i tried similar stuff to you!) and engl SE, and i thought the vht held its own with any of those... but obviously it's down to personal preference etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i know what you mean. i've tried a couple of vhts, and i understand the "dry" comments. I quite like it, but i can understand how people don't.

Actually, when i tried the vht deliverance, i also tried a bogner shiva, ecstacy, budda superdrive 30 combo (lol, i tried similar stuff to you!) and engl SE, and i thought the vht held its own with any of those... but obviously it's down to personal preference etc.

Yup, theres been a few amps I thought I would love and when I played them I hated them and a few that have really surprised me that I thought I whould hate.. And some amps that i loved at first ended badly after playing them a few more times. Amps and prefrence are a crazy thing at times...

I still have the engl SE on my list. I really want to get ahold of a Powerball as well I think that is going to be the best amp for me when I decide to make the jump.
Quote by gregs1020
Great reviews, that was a good day, huh? And I spent my day at the air show.

Yea it worked out great. I had been in there a month before but didnt have time to play anything. And was trying to figure out how I could get back there because its about an hour away and my wife hates guitar places so talking her into going is like pulling teeth. Luckly she had scheduled a lasik appointment right next door to it and it would be about 3 hours long. So I was like hmmmm i can do that while your doing this and that way I get her out of my hair and I get to spend a good amount of time with some amps I have been itching to test. So everything worked out great and I had a very good day.
cool list and review of amps you got to try mang. You need to try that Uberschall with a boost pedal though.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
cool list and review of amps you got to try mang. You need to try that Uberschall with a boost pedal though.

Yea, you could tell she would shine with a bit of a boost... My gas level was so high that was one thing I forgot to try lol

I was pretty amazed at how full the amp was, it was hooked up to a 2x12 Mesa Recto cab and it just filled the room. The chugs and lowend were just tight enough for my liking but loose enough to give me that full tone. No Fizz, no noise and just smooth in your face tone. Was really amazed at the quality...
if you really liked the v30s, you can get a mesa 2x12 for pretty cheap. i know you have that marshall 4x12, but if you sold it you could easily get a mesa cab. i have a 2x12 recto and it cost me 420 on ebay
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
if you really liked the v30s, you can get a mesa 2x12 for pretty cheap. i know you have that marshall 4x12, but if you sold it you could easily get a mesa cab. i have a 2x12 recto and it cost me 420 on ebay

Thanks, and the main thing holding me back is I need a 4x12 cab so I can run my amps in stereo. So coming up with 4 speakers or a whole other cab is gonna be a pain..... But I did weight that idea in my head but then im down another 2x12's and a amp....
Quote by Erock503

Dude, YOU are the kind of guy that would buy an NHRA Funny Car, drive it to 300+ mph, & then go "Is that it? How can we make this go faster?"

The more I thought about it, though, an OCD might really bring something even more special out of an Uberschall. The one I tried had so much balls & gain on tap, that I never would've considered it!

Great spam, man. Nice to hear stuff about amps I haven't tried. Well done.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Nice review. I have to agree with Dave_Mc though, the Deliverance is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard. Probably the best if I had to pick one...
Quote by jackbauer
playing by yourself is like masturbating, sure it feels great, but it's nothing compared to the real deal.

Quote by guylee
Oh Shit! I Have A Weird Growth On My Body!

To The Pit!

JOIN MY GROUP plox

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/tonelife/
Quote by riffhog
Dude, YOU are the kind of guy that would buy an NHRA Funny Car, drive it to 300+ mph, & then go "Is that it? How can we make this go faster?"

The more I thought about it, though, an OCD might really bring something even more special out of an Uberschall. The one I tried had so much balls & gain on tap, that I never would've considered it!

Great spam, man. Nice to hear stuff about amps I haven't tried. Well done.

hehe, whatup brudda. yeah, I tend to get ridiculous with stuff sometimes, lol. It's more like updgrading the suspension though, I'm not really making it faster, just improving the ride.

I like an OD strictly as a clean boost on the Uberschall. Overdrive at 0, and level at 2:00-3:00. It slightly thins and tightens that ridiculously enormous lowend, gives it a little mid boost, and adds a nice edge. I've really been impressed with it, much different than most clips I've heard tbh. I really expected a flabby chewy lowend, reminiscent of the Laboga I had, but it surprised me with how articulate it could get while still remaining huge.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, theres been a few amps I thought I would love and when I played them I hated them and a few that have really surprised me that I thought I whould hate.. And some amps that i loved at first ended badly after playing them a few more times. Amps and prefrence are a crazy thing at times...

I still have the engl SE on my list. I really want to get ahold of a Powerball as well I think that is going to be the best amp for me when I decide to make the jump.

yeah, i thought i was going to hate the diezel vh4, based on clips i heard in guitarist magazine... ever since that i barely even listen to soundclips...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Erock503
hehe, whatup brudda. yeah, I tend to get ridiculous with stuff sometimes, lol. It's more like updgrading the suspension though, I'm not really making it faster, just improving the ride.

I like an OD strictly as a clean boost on the Uberschall. Overdrive at 0, and level at 2:00-3:00. It slightly thins and tightens that ridiculously enormous lowend, gives it a little mid boost, and adds a nice edge. I've really been impressed with it, much different than most clips I've heard tbh. I really expected a flabby chewy lowend, reminiscent of the Laboga I had, but it surprised me with how articulate it could get while still remaining huge.

I didn't even realize you bought an Uberschall!
I would've bought one too, but I just loved the 5150 III a bit more (plus I wanted a little more versatility). The Uber is just sick. Definitely one of the funnest amps to play ever!

Dave-I can't believe anyone could produce bad clips of a VH4 !
Must've used blown speakers or something .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by IbanezPsycho
And its crazy how speakers can make a huge difference in tone.
Hence why I made the speaker thread

Yeah though, s'worth getting a set of great speakers. Did you just plain like the V30 voicing or did you want anything different? The G12K-100 is a cool alternative... Like the V30 but with tonnes of bass, smoother highs and a slightly reduced midspike but still a similar voicing. Plus 100w power handling, gives it a big tone.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by riffhog
Dave-I can't believe anyone could produce bad clips of a VH4 !
Must've used blown speakers or something .

they were just stupid clips... you know when they get some crazy avant-garde guitarist you've never heard of, who doesn't want to do the normal style of clip? that was the problem. i don't give a crap what it sounds like for post-post-modern-mathcore-post-ironic-post-rock guff, i want to hear what it sounds like for blues, rock and metal.

i didn't know you'd got an uberschall, erock? you're crazy, man. in a good way, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
Hence why I made the speaker thread

Yeah though, s'worth getting a set of great speakers. Did you just plain like the V30 voicing or did you want anything different? The G12K-100 is a cool alternative... Like the V30 but with tonnes of bass, smoother highs and a slightly reduced midspike but still a similar voicing. Plus 100w power handling, gives it a big tone.

Yup, this one threw me for a loop I wasnt expecting much of a difference in tone because I was running Classic Lead 80's and g12t-75's in an x pattern. And the lead 80's are really close to the Vintage 30's but more balanced and minus the V30 mid harshness. So I never thought anything of it. Until I played the V30 loaded cab with my amp. So I was pondering why the huge difference in sound then it hit me..

The issue was the g12t-75's not my whole cab. I didnt think they would utterly destroy my sound and take over the Lead 80's like they did. So I rewired my cab so the Lead 80's are stricktly for the Ultra and the g12t-75s are going to the Valveking. Now my setup is perfect. I get the v30 tone I was looking for with a smoother more articulated distortion on the Ultra and the g12t-75s are a good match for the Valveking. Everything worked out better then I hoped. Saved me alot of cash and I got exactly the tone I have been looking for and all it took was swaping around two speakers.

And now I truly know why they say g12t-75s are not for every amp lol
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, i thought i was going to hate the diezel vh4, based on clips i heard in guitarist magazine... ever since that i barely even listen to soundclips...

Yup, thats one reason the Uberschall blew me away. I've heard clips but wasnt to impressed because you can never fully make out just how full the amp was. So when I plugged in I was expecting a thin harsh metal monster. And thats not what I got at all.

I try not to listen to them anymore thats why my demo'ed list is growing. Im trying to get my hands on everything even if its not my genre or style I still want to play it and see what happens.
Yeah I see your problem... G12Ts are a bit mid-scoopy and 'clean' sounding, essentially designed for the era in the 80s when people were using Marshall-voiced amps, mahogany/humbucker guitars and tubescreamers for gain, so huge amounts of mids. They don't really suit American-voiced amps which have flatter midrange. Might be worth selling the G12Ts and getting a pair of V30s maybe to go along with the CL80s.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah I see your problem... G12Ts are a bit mid-scoopy and 'clean' sounding, essentially designed for the era in the 80s when people were using Marshall-voiced amps, mahogany/humbucker guitars and tubescreamers for gain, so huge amounts of mids. They don't really suit American-voiced amps which have flatter midrange. Might be worth selling the G12Ts and getting a pair of V30s maybe to go along with the CL80s.

Yup one step ahead of ya already checking net to see what I can find. And your correct now that I think about it. Theres been a few amps example 6505+'s I tried that sounded like complete junk and I never factored in that g12t-75's could make your tone sound that horrible....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, thats one reason the Uberschall blew me away. I've heard clips but wasnt to impressed because you can never fully make out just how full the amp was. So when I plugged in I was expecting a thin harsh metal monster. And thats not what I got at all.

I try not to listen to them anymore thats why my demo'ed list is growing. Im trying to get my hands on everything even if its not my genre or style I still want to play it and see what happens.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?