Mathcore is a genre I really like, and I've been writing music for sometime, working on regular time sig's and not much dissonance. Any tip on a good way to write mathcore or mathrock music? Just tips on how to make notes-that-don't-sound-right sound right.
just jamming? im not into the while math-core-rock stuff. dont actually know whats with the whole "math" prefix but hey. Just jam **** out man, its the way it works.
Whats that? Dream Theater? Better then you? You betcha.
read up on theory as much as possible, then forget it all and write a bunch of angular riffs and cram them into asymmetrical time signatures. really, there's not much math involved outside of counting.
well i like a bit of the so called math-core

thrice are pretty darn good. and norma jean use stuff like that

when you make up a riff, extend the riff by a beat. so your riff is 4/4, then make one bar 5/4
the best way to count 5/4 is :

1... 2... 3... 1... 2... 1... 2... 3... 1... 2...

then revert the 5/4 time signature riff back into 4/4

the smoother your transitions the more 'right' it would sound.

you can also try going from a bar of 5/4 to a bar of 3/4

it adds up to two bars of 4/4 but if your cutting the 5/4 riff up to fit into 3/4 it wont sound as much as 4/4... but will still fit into a 4/4 song

I think the most important thing is to get your drummer working in different time signatures... if your drummer is crap at it, it will be awefull lol
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
You just have to be able to play odd time signatures, as for riffs anything works as long as you use tasteful yet complex timings. Listen to Meshuggah, they're great at that genre.
If you're going to try to play a certain genre of music, then listen to artists and bands belong to that certain genre. Familiarize yourself with the genre. Get to know the music theory behind that genre, and stuff of that sort.

For specific bands, I suggest you check out The Dillinger Escape Plan, particularly their first album, 'Calculating Infinity'. That album is the epitome of controlled chaos. Their later releases are just as good, but when it comes to mathcore, 'Calculating Infinity' is an essential album and a must-buy. I'd recommend Botch's 'We Are The Romans' as well, as they are widely recognized as the mathcore genre's originators.

Another piece of advice: make sure you have a good drummer when it comes to writing mathcore songs, otherwise your songs might not be able to reach full potential. And by good, I mean great. Playing mathcore isn't an easy musically, nor is it physically. Check out the drumming on 'Calculating Infinity' the album I mentioned earlier and you'll understand what I'm talking about. Of course, it won't be easy for the guitarists and bassists either, but it's most physically taxing on the drummer.
calculator
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
There is a tendency for people who try to write "math" to over think it. To my mind there's no point in writing something complex purely because it is complex, then you end up writing music to impress other people instead of yourself which is never a good idea. There are loads and loads of bands that play complex music, but unless it's good music it doesn't matter at all. For instance Dream Theater play music that is very complex at times, andvery simple at others, and while i appreciate the complexity and musicianship i presonally don't like the band (don't give me shit for this opnion, as it is just my personal opinion), but by the same token i like loads of songs that are all in standard metre and are simple as **** to play.

Rush and King Crimson would definately be a good place to start though
Quote by KennghisTron
There is a tendency for people who try to write "math" to over think it. To my mind there's no point in writing something complex purely because it is complex, then you end up writing music to impress other people instead of yourself which is never a good idea. There are loads and loads of bands that play complex music, but unless it's good music it doesn't matter at all. For instance Dream Theater play music that is very complex at times, andvery simple at others, and while i appreciate the complexity and musicianship i presonally don't like the band (don't give me shit for this opnion, as it is just my personal opinion), but by the same token i like loads of songs that are all in standard metre and are simple as **** to play.

Rush and King Crimson would definately be a good place to start though

If you like complex music how's there no point in writing it? You can write complex music and love it regardless of what others think you know.
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
Quote by JordantheAxe
If you like complex music how's there no point in writing it? You can write complex music and love it regardless of what others think you know.

I think it's less about the dichotomy of complex and simple and more about how simple complexity or complex simplicity affects us when we experience it
I can already tell by the fact that you ASK A FORUM on how to write mathcore, that if you actually write some it'll be generic shit.

I'd really like you to prove me wrong, though.
Quote by Omega Cluster
I can already tell by the fact that you ASK A FORUM on how to write mathcore, that if you actually write some it'll be generic shit.

I'd really like you to prove me wrong, though.

Quote by salamander121
Mathcore is a genre I really like, and I've been writing music for sometime, working on regular time sig's and not much dissonance. Any tip on a good way to write mathcore or mathrock music? Just tips on how to make notes-that-don't-sound-right sound right.

Nevertheless, this thread is acient and I have since then figured it out.
Last edited by salamander121 at Nov 7, 2011,
^^^
it's cool he ether only listens to dream theater or is a nickleback fan who dosnt realize the irony of what he thinks is "generic shit".