I was wondering what you guys thought would be the best volume pedal as far as value and well, workingness (ya i know, didnt know what word i was looking for there)
anywho, thanks for any advice
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

i like the alligator to use for solos vs. rhythm volume levels cause you can set the minimum volume to your rythm setting and then just push the pedal all the way down for lead.
Most volume pedals are passive meaning they have no gain. This means you are loading your guitar's signal more if the volume pedal is connected directly to the guitar with no effects in between. You could consider learning to quickly change your guitars' volume knob on the fly to get the same control.
Moving on.....
The Ernie Ball volume pedal is quite popular, and the Visual Sound anniversary one got good reviews too. Be careful with the E.B Junior volume, I heard it adds a lot of noise.

EDIT:
Quote by KenG
Most volume pedals are passive meaning they have no gain. This means you are loading your guitar's signal more if the volume pedal is connected directly to the guitar with no effects in between. You could consider learning to quickly change your guitars' volume knob on the fly to get the same control.

Doesn't lowering volume on the guitar change the gain from the pickups? Thats why a distorting valve amp can be cleaned up by changing the volume. But with a volume pedal it just lowers the signal, it doesn't lower the gain of the pickups meaning that you can have a quieter overdrive. Though I'm probably wrong...
Last edited by minibrowny at Aug 18, 2008,
The Morley Little Alligator might be worth a look. it has good reviews on harmony central, some dodgy ones but everything has some bad reviews from bitter people
Quote by minibrowny
The Ernie Ball volume pedal is quite popular, and the Visual Sound anniversary one got good reviews too. Be careful with the E.B Junior volume, I heard it adds a lot of noise.

EDIT:

Doesn't lowering volume on the guitar change the gain from the pickups? Thats why a distorting valve amp can be cleaned up by changing the volume. But with a volume pedal it just lowers the signal, it doesn't lower the gain of the pickups meaning that you can have a quieter overdrive. Though I'm probably wrong...

If you have active pickups you may be right. Passive pickups though provide a signal which the pot divides and sends to the tone controls/outpput jack. The Volume pot is in parallel to the pickup. When you add an external volume control it is basically in parallel too which effectively lowers the resistance across your pickups output. This draws more current from it which "loads" it more.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
If you have active pickups you may be right. Passive pickups though provide a signal which the pot divides and sends to the tone controls/outpput jack. The Volume pot is in parallel to the pickup. When you add an external volume control it is basically in parallel too which effectively lowers the resistance across your pickups output. This draws more current from it which "loads" it more.

Oh ok, thanks for letting me know
I've heard good things about the Ernie Ball pedal, but i've never tried out any of these kinds of pedals so i'm kind of clueless.
DON'T HIRE RON WILSON
Quote by minibrowny

if you place it in the effects loop or after distoriton pedals yes

if you place it in the front then it works exactly the same as the guitar's volume knob