Hello All,

Recently I have been pondering the idea of getting an acoustic guitar but I already have 3 guitars in which I seem to only play one. I'm afraid if i get an acoustic it will never get played. So, I started to look at piezo systems. This way my Les Paul will feel and play the same yet sound like an acoustic. Plus I'm now in a Rush cover band in which some songs switch from acoustic to electric within a measure. It seems like a good solution but I have some questions.

1.) On the two Les Paul installations I have looked at they had drilled hole through the body then into the pick up cavity. I think everyone will agree that drilling holes in there guitar isn't least stressful thing in the world. So, what if I trimmed the bottom of the bridge pickups mounting ring and ran the wires through there? I know you would be able to see the wires but I honestly don't care a whole lot.

2.) When I installed a killswitch on my Agile AD-2000 the hole from the pickup cavities to the pot cavity was very small. I could barely fit two wires through it let alone 6. Was that just the Agile or will the Epi LP be the same.

3.) How good would the acoustic sound be through the clean channel on a Vox ad50vt. Would it even be worth the $300 price tag?

Thanks in advance
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
You're still going to have to drill holes in the guitar for the additional controls that come with piezo systems, so you might as well drill them for the wires as well.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Actually I was just going to get rid of my neck tone control like I did on my agile for my killswitch. So I wouldn't be drilling any extra holes.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
Actually I was just going to get rid of my neck tone control like I did on my agile for my killswitch. So I wouldn't be drilling any extra holes.

If you can do without a neck tone control, should you really already be experimenting with other tonal options?
and what about the quick switch? You will have to drill a hole for that...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by dullsilver_mike
If you can do without a neck tone control, should you really already be experimenting with other tonal options?

No, I have a neck tone control. I combined the bridge and the neck tone control. And I don't see what not having a neck tone control would have to do with wanting an acoustic sound anyways.

I was planning on putting the quick switch either under the pick guard or on the control plate too.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Last edited by AgresiveNapkins at Aug 18, 2008,
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
No, I have a neck tone control. I combined the bridge and the neck tone control. And I don't see what not having a neck tone control would have to do with wanting an acoustic sound anyways.

I was planning on putting the quick switch either under the pick guard or on the control plate too.

Combining them is a different story than just cutting one out, and I was just teasing anyway. It was just a crack about they typical guitar player who leaves his tone knob open 24/7 not needing to be interested in any kind of tonal or timbral variety. Not sincerely accusing you of that tonal crime, since if you are in the building forum I automatically give you benifit of the doubt.

Anyway, I guess I could actually be helpful to the thread: I agree with the wiring advice, appearance may not bother you now, but if the whole issue is that you only use one guitar all the time, why not take a little extra effort to keep it aesthetically pleasing, plus exposed wiring no matter how short or well secured is just asking to get snagged or tugged on.

Also, about the $300 price tag, have you been able to find any other piezo tune-o-matic bridges for less? If so, I'd get the other, cheaper bridge (assuming it is still a sturdy bridge) and combine it with the graph tech preamp (or find a simpler preamp that still has nice sound quality). Piezo pickups placed in the same place will pretty much always sound exactly the same, good or terrible sound quality will most likely come from the preamp. I'd pay little for the actual bridge but go all out on the pre.
Well any other piezo tune o matic bridges are very close to the cost of the ghost one so I think if I'm going to drop a lot of cash on it I might as well pay the extra $20 to get it to sound the best.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
Fair enough, if price is close no big deal. I just meant one piezo saddle won't sound better than another regardless of price, it's all about the preamp rather than the pickup (at least this is the idea I'll parrot that constantly gets thrown around in the bass forum where piezo pups are probably discussed most often).