Page 1 of 3
Does anyone else other than me think that the intro to Jonas Brothers's "SoS" is catchy? I mean I hate them cuz they really suck, but it's kinda catchy... No?
haha! look at wat this girl sed on msn:

Rowena says:
dont insult the jonas brothers
BamBam says:
theyr ****!
Rowena says:
i could bet that they have more talent and looks than you on a bad day
BamBam says:
than me on a bad day? if so, i still dont reckon they do
BamBam says:
looks fine, but talent no way
Rowena says:
then you have no taste
BamBam says:
... u hav no taste ...
Rowena says:
i think i do judgign y i in the majority with well over half the popultaion
BamBam says:
half the population?.. u and sum girls more like
Not familiar with the song (stations I listen to tend not to play that stuff), but I believe that the ability to write something catchy is every bit as much a talent as the ability to play guitar or sing, or produce, or whatever.

IMHO, that's where the Beatles talent was. And Bon Jovi's. None of them are stellar musicians in terms of being able to shred like crazy or anything. They can just write stuff so naturally that has a massive universal appeal. The writing team of Ricky Martin, Robi Rosa and Desmond Child had it in spades too.

Remember Hanson? Geez... hokey as it all was.... I wish *I* could write something half as catchy as MmmmBop. Seriously.

And for those people who are about to say "oh, *anyone* could write stuff like that... my response in advance is, "so why don't YOU have a great big record deal?" Anyone who can write instantly memorable and catchy hooks like that can have their pick of labels.

I'm guessing this is the same sort of comparison.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
omg what's your problem ? why do you waste ur time ? i really love the jonas brothers. they are cute, and they sing well. u don't like them ? i'm not their to judge u, but plz tell me why !!! the guitar on their song isn't a big challenge but it's perfect to learn guitar not ? really, jb's haters hate them because:

-girls love them (4 the guys)
-they call girls beautiful and not sexy
-they play guitar only 10 years and less, and ur idols play since like 30 ou 40, i guess.
Quote by juavma
omg what's your problem ? why do you waste ur time ? i really love the jonas brothers. they are cute, and they sing well. u don't like them ? i'm not their to judge u, but plz tell me why !!! the guitar on their song isn't a big challenge but it's perfect to learn guitar not ? really, jb's haters hate them because:

-they play guitar only 10 years and less, and ur idols play since like 30 ou 40, i guess.

I hate them cause they are bad.

You just have to face the fact not everyone likes the same music as you do
Quote by Carmel
You are a redeeming feature for the UG Swedish population.

All-riiight.
Quote by juavma

They're all that's wrong with mainstream music

/thread
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by juavma

I hate them cauz they arn't musicien
they are a trademark
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by ChemicalFire
They're all that's wrong with mainstream music

/thread

wow ... I couldn't have say it better myself
chimical fire I love you
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Quote by billybusa
I hate them cause they are bad.

Irony!! How about YOU just have to face the fact that not everyone likes the same music YOU do?

THEY'RE bad? Then what are you? Why don't YOU sell millions of records? Because you're not bad enough? Because you don't want to? What is it?

They are totally not my taste. I find them way too 'mainstream vanilla' but I stand firmly by the sentiment I posted just above.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by juavma
jb's haters hate them because:

-they play guitar only 10 years and less,

ftw...

... and perhaps a bit jealous that they can't write a collection of instantly sale-able pop tunes that is worthy of being accused of being a trademark....

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Irony!! How about YOU just have to face the fact that not everyone likes the same music YOU do?

THEY'RE bad? Then what are you? Why don't YOU sell millions of records? Because you're not bad enough? Because you don't want to? What is it?

They are totally not my taste. I find them way too 'mainstream vanilla' but I stand firmly by the sentiment I posted just above.

CT

when you use the term "they are" you mean IMO 90% of the time.

And how come when you say you think a band is bad like Jonas Brothers everyone is like "yu juz jelos cuz dey is better den yu"?

and did I ever tell you to listen to my music?

no?

then shut the fuck up and grow up already
Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
You're taking this personally, which it wasn't meant to be taken. Chill....

What I was getting at was that everyone loves to dump on the uber-successful uber-mainstream middle-of-the-road bands with cutie-boy singers. They did it with Hanson. They did it with NKOTB. They do it with Jonas Bros. They do it with everyone of that mold. It is like a 'every reaction has an equal and opposite reaction' thing. The hotter they are, the more mercilessly we slag them.

I'm just pointing out that they may not be your taste, or my taste, but they are some people's tastes.... a LOT of people's tastes. It doesn't mean they're awesome singers or guitar players or drummers or whatever. What it does mean, though, is that they have more talent in their pinky finger than you and me and the fifteen people above us when it comes to writing catchy pop tunes that are instantly marketable.

IMO, that IS a talent. (watch me become a pariah here....) Also IMHO, this is Kurt Cobain too. Mediocre singer (but I like his voice), *really* mediocre guitarist, but a brilliant writer. He had the talent to write songs that a generation of kids could instantly identify with. Combine those catchy pop tunes with the right sound at the right time with the right image, and you have an album that revolutionizes the entire music industry for more than a decade to come.

Now, I don't believe for a second that Jonas Bros are going to revolutionize anything. They're too middle of the road. But they can write songs that make tens of millions of dollars, and can make tens of millions of kids sing along.

I wish I could do that, and I bet 'you' (the collective you, as in everybody else except me...) do too.

CT

Quote by axemanchris

Except I DO stand by this as a personal remark. You said you hate them because they're bad. Is it that they are bad, or is it that you just don't like them? That you don't like the same music their fans do?

You did really set yourself up for that one.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Not familiar with the song (stations I listen to tend not to play that stuff), but I believe that the ability to write something catchy is every bit as much a talent as the ability to play guitar or sing, or produce, or whatever.

IMHO, that's where the Beatles talent was. And Bon Jovi's. None of them are stellar musicians in terms of being able to shred like crazy or anything. They can just write stuff so naturally that has a massive universal appeal. The writing team of Ricky Martin, Robi Rosa and Desmond Child had it in spades too.

Remember Hanson? Geez... hokey as it all was.... I wish *I* could write something half as catchy as MmmmBop. Seriously.

And for those people who are about to say "oh, *anyone* could write stuff like that... my response in advance is, "so why don't YOU have a great big record deal?" Anyone who can write instantly memorable and catchy hooks like that can have their pick of labels.

I'm guessing this is the same sort of comparison.

CT
This. Catchy > quick.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
You have to give it to them, they must have balls to do a Busted cover...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Sep 20, 2008,
It takes far more talent to write something that gets stuck in peoples' heads than a mind-blowingly fast riff/song. As much as I dislike a lot of mainstream pop bands out there, I acknowledge that they're mainstream for a reason. Not everyone can do what they do. In fact, hardly anyone can. I think it takes more natural musical ability to write songs that people can sing along to and remember than it does to shred.
The below is false.
The above is true.

*world implodes*
and by people, you could count both the fans and the haters...

CT

Christ guys you don't have to judge every ****ing band. Sure, they may not play insane technical homo death metal, in fact their songs are not likely to have more than 5 different notes in them, but what it comes down to in the end is you're just bitching cause they're out getting all the beautiful brazillian ass in the world while you're sitting at your computer complaining about them.

So stfu and listen to some good music, but please, for your own sake, stop bitching cause no.one.gives.a.****

/rant
Quote by axemanchris
Except I DO stand by this as a personal remark. You said you hate them because they're bad. Is it that they are bad, or is it that you just don't like them? That you don't like the same music their fans do?

You did really set yourself up for that one.

CT

I hate them because they are bad...

I don't really get what you want me to say
Quote by Carmel

All-riiight.
Okay.... YOU think they're bad. Other people think they're fantastic. Who is right? Nobody, because 'good' and 'bad' are pretty subjective.

There are exceptions to that generalization, though. Bach set the standard by which tonal harmony would be judged for over four centuries. There is no subjectivity there when declaring that he was 'good.' Sure, maybe not your taste, but certainly and undisputably good.

Many (even most?) critics of the day declared Beethoven to be terrible. They perceived his music as being too dissonant and therefore hard to listen to.... or in other words.... just plain bad. In the end, he revolutionized what eventually came to be regarded as 'conventional' harmony.... the use of 7ths, 9ths, etc. were really considered avant-garde during his time. Now, they are not only commonplace, but expected in order for a music to be given any artistic creativity merit. Was he bad or good? I ask that rhetorical question to highlight the disparity of the subjective 'good' and 'bad.'

Jonas Bros (and their like) are not trying to revolutionize or set the standard for anything. They are merely trying to write great pop songs that sell by the boatloads - something very few people at any time in music are able to do. They are hugely successful at achieving that goal. Maybe not your taste, and it isn't mine either, but I will always stand by the statement "I wish *I* was good enough to be able to do that." My degree in classical guitar doesn't get me that. My twenty-plus years of playing in bands doesn't get me that either. They've got the youth, the packaging, and the sense of melody and lyric to nail it all down. Good on 'em. Something like that comes along about once a decade. (whereas the Bachs and Beethovens of the world occur far less frequently.....) It ain't you. It ain't the other x-thousand members here either. It sure ain't me. They got it. We don't.

So on one hand you say they are crap, but then you turn around and slag the person above, in the very next breath, that they need to accept the fact that not everyone likes the same kind of music they do. The irony of that is that YOU seem to have missed that very lesson.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Sep 20, 2008,
jb? I love jb!
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by billybusa
when you use the term "they are" you mean IMO 90% of the time.

And how come when you say you think a band is bad like Jonas Brothers everyone is like "yu juz jelos cuz dey is better den yu"?

and did I ever tell you to listen to my music?

no?

then shut the fuck up and grow up already

they never ask you to listen to their music
Here we go again....

CT

Okay.I read throuth this and I agree with most of what axemanchris has posted.

I disagree though with some things.An I also have a few questions.

Questions: Do the Jonas Brothers write their own songs?How much are they involved with the songwriting process and their marketing?How were they "discovered"?

I would be interested to know the answers because I think what a lot of people that are musicians that call them(and other groups,mostly mainstream pop) crap or whatever is because they commonly don't have any involvement in writing the songs.They are basiclly there to look good.Most of these groups are assembled and told what to say and how to act and look.Makes it all feel like a cheap lie and that is why the majority of fans are young kids.They don't know whats going on.

Now,if this does infact apply to the Jonas Brothers then they don't really deserve the respect that axemanchris is awarding them.

If not.....well,he's right.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Brothers_(album) re: their big album from last year.

"All songs written and composed by Nick Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Kevin Jonas except where noted:"

They were discovered through some connections they had through Disney Channel, but really, who cares. It doesn't matter, IMHO, how they got discovered.

CT

Okay. I have an eight year old sister who is practically obsessed with the Jonas Brothers and Hannah Montana etc. So being the kind older brother that I am, for her birthday I got her their new CD. Before I gave it to her, though, I decided to listen to it myself to see what all the fuss was about.

About half an hour later, I threw it out the window, drove back to the CD store and bought her an acoustic guitar instead. It cost me $120, but I'd take the hit to my wallet to keep myself sane.

I'm not gonna comment on their music, because if you can't figure out what I thought of it from that statement you are clearly mentally retarded. What I do take issue with is everyone saying that "I don't like them, but let's see you write a catchy pop song like them." You know what? If I had access to the kind of recording equipment and more importantly money that they got for their albums, I reckon I could do just as good a job. Why am I sitting here on the internet b*tching about it? Well, I don't have connections inside Disney Channel, I got whacked with the ugly stick at birth and I wouldn't want to in the first place.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Well, I don't have connections inside Disney Channel,

If you could write songs that could sell by the boat-loads, you'd be able to make all the connections you need. Record company folks ain't stupid. If they see mega-$$ income potential, they'll be on it like flies on sh!t. (some of the biggest writers in the industry are names that most people have never really heard of) Why don't you send some in to see how good (er... marketable) they are?

If they're really as marketable as you claim your abilities to be capable of, yet you're too ugly for MTV, the record company will buy or license the songs and get the Jonas Brothers (or whomever) to sing them for you, with their money and access to expensive studio gear and high-priced producers.

Go ahead... let's see you do it. Post your glowing letter of intent to sign you on here when you get it.

See, what you're doing is sitting there in the McDonalds half-choking on your Big Mac wondering how in the hell the masses are able to consume these crazy things by the zillions without puking their guts out. You don't get it, because it is not your taste. That stuff ain't marketed to those of us who would rather sit down with an order of butter chicken, aloo gobi, and shahi paneer. At the same time, McDonalds is certainly doing something right, because they've been able to convince zillions of people, over generations, that a Big Mac combo is a great lunch for people on the move, and the lil' ones just love the happy meal toys. I say, bleh. Kinda like the Jonas Bros.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Nov 17, 2008,
Oh, and shadow.... awesome link 'thread of epic fail' in your sig. Pure comedy!

CT

I actually like that analogy. You know what? I'm gonna give it a try. I'm gonna write a hard-out pop song. First step is to trial it with UG because if the metalheads hate it, I've gotta be on the right track. Then get it to Disney/Nickeolodeon/(insert pop music manufacturers here) any way possible.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by axemanchris

CT

He does face the fact; he thinks they're bad.

Anyway FYI you don't get a record deal just because you can write a catchy riff.
Quote by axemanchris
If you could write songs that could sell by the boat-loads, you'd be able to make all the connections you need. Record company folks ain't stupid. If they see mega-$$ income potential, they'll be on it like flies on sh!t. (some of the biggest writers in the industry are names that most people have never really heard of) Why don't you send some in to see how good (er... marketable) they are?

If they're really as marketable as you claim your abilities to be capable of, yet you're too ugly for MTV, the record company will buy or license the songs and get the Jonas Brothers (or whomever) to sing them for you, with their money and access to expensive studio gear and high-priced producers.

Go ahead... let's see you do it. Post your glowing letter of intent to sign you on here when you get it.

See, what you're doing is sitting there in the McDonalds half-choking on your Big Mac wondering how in the hell the masses are able to consume these crazy things by the zillions without puking their guts out. You don't get it, because it is not your taste. That stuff ain't marketed to those of us who would rather sit down with an order of butter chicken, aloo gobi, and shahi paneer. At the same time, McDonalds is certainly doing something right, because they've been able to convince zillions of people, over generations, that a Big Mac combo is a great lunch for people on the move, and the lil' ones just love the happy meal toys. I say, bleh. Kinda like the Jonas Bros.

CT

I have to say, you're taking this very personally.

Also, you're wrong. Simply writing catchy songs in NO WAY guarantees you a record deal.

I think you're being incredibly hypocritical. You're getting pissed off that people don't like the Jonas Brothers when you said earlier that everyone has different tastes.
Quote by Time Seller
He does face the fact; he thinks they're bad.

I don't like them, really, either. I don't like McDonald's much either. The fact he doesn't seem to want to face is that some people *do* like them. This from a person who says that everyone needs to recognize that not everybody likes the same things, and yet goes on to slag people for liking stuff he doesn't.

Quote by Time Seller
Anyway FYI you don't get a record deal just because you can write a catchy riff.

No, that's true. You get a record deal by writing songs that the record companies believe will sell by the boat loads. Jim Steinman, Bernie Taupin and Desmond Child are two of the most successful songwriters of all time, yet most people have no idea who they are. You don't *need* to be the pretty face on MTV, but it helps.

CT

Quote by Time Seller
I have to say, you're taking this very personally.

Also, you're wrong. Simply writing catchy songs in NO WAY guarantees you a record deal.

I think you're being incredibly hypocritical. You're getting pissed off that people don't like the Jonas Brothers when you said earlier that everyone has different tastes.

I'm not taking this personally. As I say, I don't really like them either. I just get annoyed when people are narrow-minded and slag something off as talent-less crap just because they don't like it. Let me set myself up for a flaming.... Cobain was not a very good singer, nor a very good guitar player. His 'talent' was in writing songs that a generation of kids around the world bought by the boatloads. Did I just compare Nirvana to Jonas Bros? Yes. I did. Difference is... I really like Nirvana. But really... the only difference between them is genre... and that Jonas Bros. are better singers. Either way, I think that a person who can pull of a pile of hugely marketable songs is really gifted.

CT

1. He said:
I hate them cause they are bad
and
. I don't think he has a problem acknowledging that people like Jonas Brothers; he just doesn't like them.

2. You're turning around in circles. From what I gather, you're saying that some people like the Jonas Brothers, and if you can write a large number of catchy, marketable hits, you're talented.

I don't think anyone here disagrees with your first statement. Sure, some of them dislike the Jonas Bros very much, but there's no reason to call them narrow-minded. Talent is subjective. If they choose to believe that the Jonas Brothers are talented, who are you to say that their definition of talent is wrong?
when i saw a that theres a jonas brother thread a just had to come and say they suck!!
Page 1 of 3