I'm almost positive I'm buying this amp ( In tweed obviously) but I want to know alot about it before I do. I've read the Peavey 30 thread but that's mostly for the head used a different Cab. I also read somewhere that the footswitch input, switches the delay on/off. That seems weird doesn't it?

I play mostly classic rock :
Zep, Stones, AC/DC, Deep Purple, Hendrix, The Who, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, Steve Miller.
But I want to be able to get some Blues tones (SRV).

I just don't want to buy this amp, and only be limited to classic rock.

Will this amp have a good tone for stuff like Fall of Troy, Satch, Rage Against the Machine. Or is there a better amp for the price?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014

There's the link, I play a Gibson SG btw.
It'll be perfect for the classic rock stuff, for the price. It'll also do blues quite well, but it won't be American voiced, SRV type blues. And if you're looking for fender cleans, you'll probably be a bit disappointed, although it does have good cleans. I can't comment on it doing the newer stuff you listed, as I don't play or listen to that stuff, but you may need an OD pedal with it to get heavier tones.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
BTW the Classic 30 only comes in 112 and a head a cab configuration, if its a 212 the its the Classic 50. For what you are wanting to do, the Classic should work well. The thing about the Classics is that they are a definate mid gained amp, and can be pushed into into high mid gain, with the right pickups, tubes and an OD. With that combo the amp can get near a Marshall JCM 800 gain level.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Also, make sure you look used. They are all over the used market for any from $300 to $400.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yeah, I don't mind buying an OD pedal, But with that, would I be able to play some heavier stuff? Because I don't want to buy this amp and then I'll regret it when I'm trying to play anything besides Classic Rock.
Yes you would easily. Those bands you mentioned dont use a whole lot of over drive anyway.
Quote by False_God
Yes you would easily. Those bands you mentioned dont use a whole lot of over drive anyway.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. Any idea on how the amp blends with pedals? Like Wah or Flanger?
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Also, make sure you look used. They are all over the used market for any from $300 to $400.

yeah, dont be a fool and buy it new like me
^Either way, buying new is a horrible deal compared to used.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
i use a distortion pedal to get heavier stuff on mine. i sometimes felt an od pedal came up short in some cases, but that was pretty rare. The Od pedal (I have a Digi Bad Monkey) does sound quite nice, i think you'll enjoy the c30.

Btw, it's true about the footswitch turning on/off the delay, which i find to be a nice little attribute.

Q#m
e|--6--|
B|--5--|
G|--7--|
D|--7--|x2586
A|--5--|
E|-----|

Play until she breaks up with you.

The most brutal band to ever exist is...

You should go like them...even if you don't like them.

-Sloppyjoe24
^I've said it in this thread more than once. They're a much better deal. They're much cheaper for an identical amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Yeah, I probably will go used and that will work out better because I actually saved enough to buy new, so I'll have enough left over for a pedal or two. I asked this before but I didn't really get an answer, Has anyone used anything like a Whammy or Phaser or anything with it?
Quote by ShaunDiel
Did you buy online? Or from a dealer?

Samash online store
^^Once every couple years depending on how much you play.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I've been looking at this amp, too (it and the Crate V Series) and it seems to trump the V's in about every way (tone, versatility, reliability) except price.

Here's a video I found displaying the gain achievable by the C30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9krVcZOHuI

Looks like Classic rock is about as heavy as you'll get without an OD/Distortion. I have a Metal Muff which would satisfy all my distortion needs.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
^Either way, buying new is a horrible deal compared to used.

unless your like me, and can haggle a dealer down to order you a tweed classic 30 from the factory, for 500 bucks canadian, and get a free 10ft planet waves patchcord with it. They called me the next day and told me it would be sept 6 when the amp comes in, because peavey needed to build a new stock of classic 30's. So mine will be as NEW as possible, never played through. for 500 bucks, no shipping (only taxes )
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by dudetheman
I've been looking at this amp, too (it and the Crate V Series) and it seems to trump the V's in about every way (tone, versatility, reliability) except price.

Here's a video I found displaying the gain achievable by the C30:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9krVcZOHuI

Looks like Classic rock is about as heavy as you'll get without an OD/Distortion. I have a Metal Muff which would satisfy all my distortion needs.
That video is a little misleading. I'm able to get much higher gain than that. The EQ and pickup choice will make it a lot heavier. I don't play anything heavy, but I can easily dial in a heavy tone. I usually keep the gain at about 25%.
Quote by Midnight Murk
That video is a little misleading. I'm able to get much higher gain than that. The EQ and pickup choice will make it a lot heavier. I don't play anything heavy, but I can easily dial in a heavy tone. I usually keep the gain at about 25%.

Really? It can get heavier than that?

Surely it can't get into Metal territory, can it?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
^^That is a good deal, and I don't know how the used market is in Canada, but even then, a $300 used amp is better value than paying $200 more for a brand new one, to me.

But like I said, in Canada, you may not be able to get the same value on a used amp.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Oh, wow, I didn't even realize you were in Canada. If you live close to the border, you could look at a craigslist for a nearby US city and buy it that way, but that's probably out of your way. Ebay and local music stores that sale used gear would be your best bets, probably.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
the thing that you'll love about the classic 30 if you decided to go for it is that it accepts effect pedals REALLY well.

i play an Ibanez RG1570 through a 535`Q wah into the classic 30 and it sounds pretty decent to me. of course i have everything stock (pickups, speaker, tubes) but with the right tubes this amp can really shine.

one thing is that if you go for the used ones you'll find that they are usually the older models that don't come with a stock tube guard. anyways i have heard some people have had problems with a "popping" sound, and that tubes rattle and make annoying noises but i can honestly say i've never had these problems, or at least i've never noticed

anyways i hope this info has been helpful and good luck with purchasing an amp.

p.s. ALWAYS remember to try out an amp before you buy. hell, make sure you try it out on several days. cuz before i got my c30 i was dead set on a valve king which wasn't that much more expensive than my c30 but after playing it at guitar center for a couple of days i decided that the cleans sounded a bit muddy and sterile.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by Highwaytohell
My Classic 30 plus my Zenith Arteffects OD=

Baby killer

how is that od? is it worth the extra compared to say a maxon od808? i can get a new zenith for 225 canadian
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by Midnight Murk

It depends on the pickups really. My telecaster gets a little hotter than that, but not a whole lot heavier where I'd be playing br00talz on it.