well right now i have a Crate GLX1200 solid state which is pretty ****ty, and trying to compete with my friend's 6505+. pretty much now i need to find a deciently cheap tube amp which will last though my days of playing guitar right now, then ill buy better if i get more serious. right now im liking the Peavey Valveking and the B-52 AT100. anyone know anything special bout these amps? or any other reccomendations? im kinda a hardcore-metalcore person, but i also want a not reallllly ****ty clean, u know, incase i feel the need to join a reggae band

thanks to anyone who posts for the help, or the n33bish comments

Azn powah
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Epiphone Futura Prophecy Custom
Martin 1970's D-28
the b-52 isnt half bad but I guess they break down sometimes
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
thanks, i might order one, are those really the only good cheap tube amps?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
Quote by Ghold125
just get a used 5150...

He said he didn't want a really ****ty clean lol

I say get something along the lines of a B-52 and a nice OD just to tighten things up.
craigslist is one of the best places to find good tube amps cheap. VK's are a decent cheaper tube amp, people have a love hate relationship with them. I liked the VK I tried recently. Should be about $250 on craigslist.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
He said he didn't want a really ****ty clean lol

I say get something along the lines of a B-52 and a nice OD just to tighten things up.

The 5150 doesn't have terribble cleans. They're a little flat, as the 5150 is typically biases a touch too cold, but they're servicable. Besides, metal guys don't know good cleans when they hear them.

The B-52 would be a solid choice. Randal RG50TC, used 5150, bla bla bla.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Spend some extra money and get a used Mesa DC series amp.

BUgera 6262/6260,or the 333
'92 Mesa Dual Rectifier Blackface
Peavey 5150 II half stack
'94 Mesa Dual Rect.
Bugera 6262-212
'93 Custom Fender Strat
Schecter C1 custom
Fender FMT Telecaster
Mosrite JR Model
MXR Smart Gate

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
Bugera 333xl or the 6260.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
u guys mind putting prices after the amp? oh jsut to let u know, im 15 so i dont have vast ammounts of money to spend. oh and for the guy tht pointed out craigslist, i check, its hard finding stuff on there when u live in michgan away from detroit
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
Quote by Bletic
for the guy tht pointed out craigslist, i check, its hard finding stuff on there when u live in michgan away from detroit

I understand but stuff pops up all over. Here is a link to some of the amps pricing.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/B52-60Watt-1x12-Tube-Combo?sku=480046
B52.
http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--BUG333212 Bugera 333
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197 Randall RG50tc
And I gotta plug this one.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480426X
thx, butttt i gotta compete with my friends 6505+ with Mesa cab which i dont know which one it is. sooo maybe heads might help if u got any ideas. Thanks for all the help and not douchery
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
In small to medium gigging situations, your friend won't be cranking his 6505+ to 10 anyway. A combo should suffice for now. In the future, you can always get a 2x12 cab and plug it into the combo if you need better sound spreading or more bass response.

As for your options, shoot for a Bugera 333XL/6262, Peavey XXX/Valveking/5150 (it's possible to get cleans, but they won't be crystal clear or anything), or something B-52.
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Quote by Bletic
u guys mind putting prices after the amp? oh jsut to let u know, im 15 so i dont have vast ammounts of money to spend. oh and for the guy tht pointed out craigslist, i check, its hard finding stuff on there when u live in michgan away from detroit

Where do you live exactly? I live in michigan, and there's some good deals on the lansing craigslist.
I've seen a few XXX's go by in the past at pretty good prices, and I found a used JCM 800 at a good price too.
You just have to wait and check every day.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
yea, i missed the XXX i wanna get, andd anyone know a half ass cab i could get too? just to beat my 100 watt crate ****
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
ive never played a randall, they really any good? im probably looking at a B-52 or a Bugera
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
I agree. The RG50TC was a great metal amp when I tried it.
I like it more than the Bugeras out today.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I think the RG50TC would be the best choice for you..look on youtube if you want an idea of how it sounds
From what I hear the Bugeras sound great, but you'd probably end up playing with the volume on 1..also they are new amps, so I'd wait a little while until they become known to be reliable
soo, this randall, will it be loud enough to compete with my friend playing drums? even if he fails?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
I'll go ahead and recommend the B52 AT100 as well. I haven't played the other amps mentioned except the Bugera. I'll tell you, I had a hard time choosing between the two.

Anyway, I won't comment on the durability of the B52 yet as I've had it for only a week, but the tone is unbelievable for the price. I have a clip in my profile and I'll be posting more rhythm clips tonight.

To give you an idea of what I payed...... $550 brand new head at GC
$200 used B52 4x12 480W cab (craigs list)
$750 total.

If you want the 1/2 stack, get a new head and a used cab.

Good luck!

edit: I've seen the head on craigs list and ebay for $400 used.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Last edited by sabbathu at Sep 9, 2008,
i think im leaning towards a Bugera 333xl, or the B-52 AT 212, only reason im getting the 212, is cuz, iunno. but yea, im an idiot. well, thanks for the help guys, if anyone else knows of anything i can do, like mods or shit, say it
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
Just make sure you try before you buy. How it sounds to you is the most important in the end. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
New Bugera
Used Peavey Ultra, Triple or JSX

+1
don't get a valve king, most overrated amp on the market. after you spend money upgrading it, you'll be spending more than you planned.
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
soo anyone know where i can try out a Bugera?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
anyb0dy?
Gear
Ibanez RG421EXFM
Martin 1970's D-28
At a store?